New cloak

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: New cloak

Post by Manveruon »

I know the general consensus seems to be that wool cloaks reign supreme, and that most/all other materials aren't really worth much in that department, but I've always rather liked the idea of a rain-slicker type cloak, and the most logical material for that kind of garment is probably a waxed canvas. Apparently Tolkien said at some point that there was no cotton in Middle-earth, but it's extremely difficult to find canvas made from other natural fibers these days, so I figure it's as good a substitute as any, and once it's waxed it functions quite nicely to keep the rain off.
In any case, I really like the look, and I hope it serves you well!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Thank you Manveruon! So far so good on this cloak. I don't like it as good as my wool one. But it's not bad. Still waiting for some rain. Though it might be awhile. This is some strange weather for us. Really mild.
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote:I know the general consensus seems to be that wool cloaks reign supreme, and that most/all other materials aren't really worth much in that department, but I've always rather liked the idea of a rain-slicker type cloak, and the most logical material for that kind of garment is probably a waxed canvas. Apparently Tolkien said at some point that there was no cotton in Middle-earth, but it's extremely difficult to find canvas made from other natural fibers these days, so I figure it's as good a substitute as any, and once it's waxed it functions quite nicely to keep the rain off.
I've found that a waxed cloak functions well, the advantage is it doesn't get waterlogged and heaver in prolonged rain, the disadvantage is the fabric is quite stiff and not as silent as wool, making it harder to move with no noise
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Iodo wrote: I've found that a waxed cloak functions well, the advantage is it doesn't get waterlogged and heaver in prolonged rain, the disadvantage is the fabric is quite stiff and not as silent as wool, making it harder to move with no noise
This thing is a little noisy for sure.
Frodo lives!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Funny - I hadn't even considered the noise factor, but that makes a lot of sense.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Yeah it is louder but not too bad. I'm out in the wet today and its doing a pretty good job.
Frodo lives!
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

A little update: I was a outside in the heavy rain for an hour or so and it did soak through in that time. Not too bad. Maybe I'll treat it with more wax and see how that works.
Frodo lives!