Cloak storage?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Shadrack
Dúnadan

Cloak storage?

Post by Shadrack »

So I was wondering if any if you have come up with a way to tackle the issue of where to put your cloak while traveling should you take it off? Do you roll it up in your bedroll, fold it up and sling it over your shoulder? I'm trying to figure out a way to solve this as I previously had only one blanket that doubled as my cloak however I found that it was a tad small and I'm now looking for a way to integrate a second blanket into my setup without it becoming too bulky. There is always the chance however that I'm deluding myself and I should learn to suck it up with just the one blanket but I'd like to hear all your thoughts!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Cloak storage?

Post by Straelbora »

It either becomes a rolled-up pillow or a blanket (or additional blanket).
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Shadrack
Dúnadan

Post by Shadrack »

Straelbora wrote:It either becomes a rolled-up pillow or a blanket (or additional blanket).
Sorry, should've clarified, I'm looking for ways to carry the cloak whilst still being on the trail rather than once I've made camp
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

if I'm not wearing it to keep warm/dry then it gets rolled up and tied to this thing: https://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.o ... =36&t=4187
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

I tend to tie mine up in a horseshoe and sling it over one arm or wear it like I do my bedroll.
Attachments
BD206B87-37B6-4E22-889B-9E61F78D0A5B.jpeg
BD206B87-37B6-4E22-889B-9E61F78D0A5B.jpeg (110.52 KiB) Viewed 11274 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I definitely make it a horseshoe if I take it off mid-trek. If it's to warm to wear it from the start, it's horseshoed in the middle of my bedding roll.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Shadrack
Dúnadan

Post by Shadrack »

Oh of course it's that simple. I really tend to overthink things sometimes!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yep, even Viggo Mortensen did it this way as Aragorn in the movies. Seems like a pretty universally preferred method (although I've never actually had the occasion to do it myself).
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Druin
Wanderer

Post by Druin »

I've found it quite warm to wear it this (horseshoe) way, but it keeps it out of the way and is probably less warm than wearing it. If I have my snapsack with me, I tie my cloak to the side of it to get it out of the way.
Happy Hunting