Interesting Trekking Boots

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Aravir
Dúnadan

Interesting Trekking Boots

Post by Aravir »

I came across some pretty cool looking boots that would also seem to have a utilitarian use.

Viking Leather boot link below. What is everyone’s thoughts?
The boot sole looks like it may need better grip but hard to say without testing it :)

https://www.outfit4events.com/usd/produ ... igh-boots/
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Interesting Trekking Boots

Post by Taurinor »

They're handsome boots, but they look (to my eye) to be a modern boot dressed up as something sort-of historic looking, and my goodness are they expensive!

If you like the look of toggle boots, you could get something similar of a more historic construction from Boots by Bohemond or Viking Leathercrafts for much less. Both make good quality products, and both will add a heavy duty lugged sole for a little extra money.

That being said, a fair few folks on the forum (myself include) wear leather soled turnshoes without any sort of rubber grip. They require you to think about where you put your feet a little differently, and I wouldn't want to climb a steep trail in the rain in mine, personally, but for rambling about the woods they work quite well!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I've browsed the site before, and I'm pretty sure I've seen these. They're really beautiful looking, but yeah, wow, quite the price tag. Admittedly, I'll be paying about the same amount soon for a nice pair of Jedi boots, but they're a little more involved. I agree with Elliot that these seem to be made with more modern construction methods than strictly traditional, but honestly I think they would pass muster just fine. They look quite sturdy too. I especially like the heavy duty leather soles.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

They do look quite heavy, almost remind me of a motorcycle boot more than anything.

There’s also the arm street boots which appear less bulky and the price is better. It fluctuates often.

https://m.armstreet.com/store/footwear/ ... ots-forest

I agree with Tuarinor in that maybe the Bohemond boot might be a better choice as far as looking the part.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

From what I’ve heard of Armstreet’s boots, I would probably advise against it. Fit and durability seem to be two rather iffy elements of their boots, based on what I’ve heard now from a few people I know who own them, and really those two things should probably be top on your list when looking for “period” footwear. I think the boots Bohemond offers may just be the best off-the-shelf boots out there for what we do, based on several peoples’ reviews of them here. Otherwise Viking Leathercrafts does offer some really nice pieces. My current trekking boots are from them (with heavy modifications), and they have held up really well.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

The only thing to be mindful of with Bohemond’s off-the-rack shoes is that they tend to be narrow. If you have wide feet, Viking Leathercrafts might be a safer bet.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Awesome thanks Manveruon and Taurinor for the helpful info!

My feet are definitely pretty wide sounds like Viking Leathers might be a solid choice then. Just want to find something “period”-like and also functional for longer endurance treks.