Pictures of your ranger kit

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

Pictures of your ranger kit

Post by mcapanelli »

Hey all,

Well like the subject states, I think it be great if we posted pictures of our ranger related items. I'm not exactly how to post pictures here but hey, there's always photobucket! Anyway here's a picture of my sword. It's a Christian Fletcher Boaderwatch with an Albion XVI blade. The scabbard was made by Russ Ellis of Tritonworks.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/2192/1004062im5.jpg

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7438/1004053vz0.jpg
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Your byknife looks like a mini sax from the pic, is it ? The whole rig looks sweet.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I LIKE that Byknife! I agree with Peter, that's a good looking setup.
I've been promising to post some pics, though most of my stuff is temporary and will be upgraded throughout the year. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow to post.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

The byknife is actually from the UC strider scabbard. We just polished her up a bit. I used just a rag and some metal glo and really not much elbow grease at all. I tried to remove the UC logo but I think I'll need to take her in to the shop and run the buffing wheel. Not sure if it's worth it though because it really is a very nice knife and I'd hate to ruin her.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mike:

Thanks, I actually learned how to use Photbucket, well the basics anyway.

Kits Pics, I'll follow up with my swords shortly.

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Swords and some assorted blades:

Atrim 1520 customizied by Christian Fletcher, scabbard by me

Atrim 1503 blade etched by Alex Chin, scabbard by me

Atrim 1417 stock, Scabbard by me

My most recent purchase Atrim 1557 purchased from M Arledge, scabbard by me

Several knife and daggers

Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Well, let's see if I can get linked to my picasa album here. One pic of the unsheathed sword didn't make it into the album for some reason.
Here goes nothing:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ecart1970/RangerGear
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Nice stuff Eric. I've never seen a Tinker in person, they all look so nice. Did you make the clothing and scabbard yourself? I'm going to try and get some pics of my clothing up as soon as I can get outdoors. It's not so easy on the Island to take pictures in kit.
Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Pete, is that an MRL sword hilted dagger you've got there? I've been flirting with that for a bit now. How do you like yours? And that's the ravenclaw as well I see. Nice knives.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The Tinker isn't finished yet. Tink's engraver is broken and the parts are on backorder. So once he gets the parts, the sword will go back to him for finishing. But I'm very well pleased with it as is. The scabbard is Tinker's too. The shirt is left over from my old Civ War reenacting days. I dyed it and its companion along with one my mother made with dark green RIT dye. But I'm working on my sewing skills to make my own. The pants are from MRL. Hoping to come up with something more thorn-resistant in the near future :shock: . The belt is my first piece of leather work, besides the boots I'm wearing, in 25 years. I have to get the hang of it again. I noticed the pic of the star on the belt didn't come out that well. I may try that one again. I made the cloak. There is a cloak pin that I was wearing. I forged it. I have to get a good pic of it. It and one other pin were supposed to go to Andy for field testing, but I never sent them off and now he's kinda inconvenienced at the moment. I will be working on a new scabbard for the sword before too long, something more suitable for a ranger sword.

Pete has plenty of knives and swords in those pics that I would love to hang by my side.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Hi Guys:

All three of the daggers in the first daggers and knives pic, are Windlass the steel sword hilt I just bought from PhilD and only rec'd it last Thursday. The middle dag with the mermaid motif, I bought for my daughter Jessie. She has a pirate outfit with a cutlass that she goes to the Renfair in. The third in the pic is their brass hilted version. The dagger in the kangeroo sheath attached to the 1520 in the backpack pic is another Windlass.

I've had a number of daggers through the years incuding many custom pieces but the Windlass' blades are the best for the price. If you look around enough you never have to pay full list on them either.

The Ravensclaw and the Mermaid dagger are the only ones I havn't sharpened. The Ravensclaw as a lefthand weapon with a tomahawk or medium sized handaxe would make a very well matched team.

I too, have never handled a Tink. She looks sweet though.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

At 2.75 lbs, I think the Tinker is just as heavy as my Clontarf. But the weight is distributed differently and it feels much lighter in the hand. I'll have to get some specs on it soon. When the engraving is done, I'll post new pics.
The pommel will have a shield engraved into it while on one side of the blade will be my name in Greek characters. The other side will say in Greek, Knights of Ichthus . If you can decifer my poor picture taking, you may see the ichthus, or fish, motif in the belt I made. I'll explain if anyone is interested.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Well finally I have pictures of my full kit, or at least my kit so far

Linen tunic, wool pants

Clothes on hanger with a combanation over tunic/cape made by Diane Mirro
Front viewImage

Back view

Boots by Sodhoppers

Backpack with cloak case (Thanks again Pete!!)

Sword/utility belt, water skin, a misc pouch.

A&A Friedrich Spear

Close up of spear detail

Bamboo backed Epee Flatbow

Close up of bow

Single handed sword and hand axe. These are my standard carry weapons

And for the larger engagements, my longsowrd......
Winter is coming
Panday
Wanderer

Modified CS Poleax = Ranger Axe

Post by Panday »

Last year I got a Cold Steel Poleaxe in the closeout section.

This thing was really nice, but it was big, heavy, came with a 5' shaft... and completely impractical. Seriously, when would I ever wield a poleaxe? Even in a home defense situation, it's too big to use indoors. And I can't see this weapon as something I'd go inside of the house to grab and bring outside, either.

So, off to the workshop I went.

The first thing I did was examine the head to see what I could cut off and make more practical. The head has a huge pole on the back and continues down the haft in a cylinder. This is a picture of the head- all drop forged as one piece:

I made the following cuts, shown in orange lines:

That left me with something big, but much nicer and more wieldy:

While I like a lot of things about Cold Steel, I absolutely hate... hate the black coating they put on a lot of their weapons. So, with a combination of a wire brush, scotchbrite pad, and sandpaper, I got most of that stuff off. While I dislike the black coating, I often don't necessarily prefer shiny bright things. I love old things with patina that look like they've been around for a century but well-cared for. I boiled the head and langettes in a large pot on the stove using a secret patina formula which I've developed over the years. It gives it a nice, rich gray color.

I made a new handle out of an ash shaft, which I stained dark and distressed slightly.

And sealed the head with the screw which came in the original package, a wood wedge, and some gorilla glue. It's nice and solid.

Though I cut off the main hammer poll, it still has a substantial poll on the back.

I worked on the edge, drawing it back and finishing it off with a mirror polish for better cutting ability.

Now it's good enough to actually use. Even if it's a bit on the large side, it's plausible for the modern world, yet stout enough for a Ranger of the North to carry as weapon or tool when striding through the hills and woods of Eriador.
"The world is grown so bad, that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch."
-Shakespeare, Richard III
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.