The boot-build actually begins

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

The boot-build actually begins

Post by Eric C »

Well, after much talk, many questions, a lot of worrying over messing up -leather ain't exactly cheep- not to mention lots of info from Andy, I got started on the boots. I used some left over leather from my first boot project to make a topsole and upper. I thought they were going to work on the first try. No such luck. The way they came together, I think I need more of a seam allowance on the sole. The upper fit pretty well. I'm thinking of cutting the sole as much as an inch larger than I think it will need to be, then size it down from there. What do you think?
Of course I'll post progress pics as I go along and have something to show for my work.
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Honestly, I'm not real sure. I have several pages of information from Andy. But I haven't found any mention to turn shoes or welts. You can see an example of the style I'm going for on his site, www.meranger.com under "my stuff" I believe.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I'm looking forward to learning how to do this myself someday, You have my utmost respect. Will you be posting a "How-to" when your done?
Winter is coming
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey Eric,

Send me a detailed email of what you've done so far. I'll help you step by step. I'll send you my actual foot trace along with my final upper and topsole patterns. Those will give you a good idea of the shape needed.

Just got back from a well needed vacation with the family.

We have household goods picked up in 11 days but I'll be keeping the essential Ranger kit with me. I have all my boot stuff on digits so I can re-send what you need.

Andy
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hey, I'm learning as I go along. Andy is "da man" when it comes to making the boots around here :wink: As for a "how-to" I'm not sure yet.
Andy- glad you were able to get away with the family for a while. We've got a thunderstorm moving in at the moment, but I'll get the e-mail together to fire off to you ASAP. But while I've got to get off the computer for now, I'll use this time working on my mock-up.
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey Eric,

Did you get the emails I sent with the boot info?

Andy
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Yes. I'm sorry I haven't been in contact this week. This is the first night all week that I have been home at a decent hour. Hopefully I can get back on the boots VERY soon. I was thinking about the size again. I wonder, after I line it and then wear wool socks with it, am I going to wish I had made it larger?
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Depending on the leather you used, it will stretch a bit. If you follow the guidelines from the pages I sent you should have enough room for an insole and winter boot socks.
Look at how much I added around the topsole based off of my foot traces.
You do have to be prepared for the first boot to be a bit off.
I have plenty of deer tanned cowhide and lining. I'll send you enough for two boots in case the test boot is too small and can't be used.
How high do you want to go with the upper portion?

Andy
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Also Eric,

glue the lining onto the leather after you cut the uper pattern but before you sew it to the topsole. Your last post sounds like you put them together without lining. That will be a different fit without the lining.

Andy
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'm hoping to go over the calf with the boots. Yeah, the fact that I didn't use a lining is what made me wonder about how it would affect the fit. BTW, what kind of glue are you using? I have Tanner's Bond Leather Weld. I am wondering if that is going to do the job or if I need to use something else. I'm seriously thinking of looking for something else. Of course when I got my other boots wet at the NC Renfaire, they held together pretty well. They aren't at all waterproof, but they held up.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

I use Tanner's Bond with the blue label for all the lining work. It seems to work well.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Next time I'm in Raleigh, I'll check it out.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Shoo goo is said to work very well also.