Need-Wallets Revisited: The Portmanteau Pack

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Need-Wallets Revisited: The Portmanteau Pack

Post by Greg »

Odigan is 100% responsible for my new love of Portmanteaus. On our trek last month, he used a newly-made leather portmanteau as (what he called) a Pantry; it carried most of his food/dry goods. It had a belt of sorts on it, and could be worn as a "fanny pack", or strapped onto his pack itself.

I was fascinated. It looked great, fit into Tolkien's world nicely, and held a very usable amount of food, etc. He sleeved his boiler in it as well.

So I came home, and right about four days later, put the finishing touches on my own. It is large enough in diameter to contain the boiler I FINALLY have on order from a supplier I've drooled over for years, and I found a plastic cup to use as a cookie-cutter when baking hardtack that makes each "cracker" fit nicely as well.

An earlier discussion, about two and a half years ago, revolved around need-wallets, which are mentioned in the Disaster of the Gladded Fields (see the appendix in your friendly neighborhood copy of The Return of the King). Isildur, after handing the shards of Narsil (and, if my memory serves me, the ring of Barahir) off to an attendant, who left, was armed with an Eket, and carrying a need-wallet. Eledhwen made an observation regarding small packs she'd been aware of for one reason or another that were worn at the small of the back for carrying bare necessities, to be on-hand at all times. The one I made at the time certainly had the look of a wallet, but not as much of the function as I'd have liked. This new design fits in perfectly.

What is shown in these images is a basic load for a day hike or single-day overnighter. It's not completely loaded down with food; I could fit several days' worth more in it than this. On the left is a row of hardtack, in the center a roll containing a fire kit, some pipe-weed, and a little seasoning, and on the right a sling. It is all worn on a narrow belt that is independent of the sword belt, so if a Ranger is sleeping, sword off, and awakes to find his camp under attack, he can simply run away, leaving behind EVERYTHING (assuming he sleeps with his boots on) and still survive. He has his food on himself, he carries his fire, and he has a weapon. More could be fit in as is, such as some salt pork, dried vegetables, rice, etc., but the basics are all there.

I'll revisit this thread today or tomorrow, most likely, showing this on a pack, with a breakdown of a few ways it can be strapped on, either by itself, or opposite a quiver. In the meantime, Odigan's version is here, as well.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Need-Wallets Revisited: The Portmanteau Pack

Post by Mirimaran »

Great pack, Greg! Did you use a pattern or just wing it for your set-up? What weight leather did you use?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

I didn't use a pattern...I just kinda eyeballed some things.

For starters, I took a large can of soup from my kitchen and used that for the endcaps. Then, after measuring the diameter of the can and using some clever middle-school geometry, I got the circumference, which was used simply to decide how long to cut the leather, front-to-back. Finding some implement around the house with a nice gradual curve to it to use as a stencil for cutting the interior opening was simple...my daughter's high-chair's removable "table" provided that solution.

All of the stitched edges were beveled at roughly a 45 with a razor blade so they meshed well. Not a difficult build...just took a little bit of time.

Leather is something in the ballpark of 6-7 oz, I'd daresay. Pretty stiff, pre-dyed veg tan scrap gotten at the local leather shop. The stiffer the better for holding its shape, overall. Keep it stuffed and you'll never have to worry about it losing its shape.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Very nice. What are the dimensions?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Just shy of 4" diameter by 14 inches.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thank you guys!
Both are very nicely done and as I mentioned before, you seemed to have truly nailed the right size for this type of pack.
I have always made them a bit smaller and never had the range of function that you have here.
I also really like the simple elegance and functionality of the construction. Little things like the curled leather toggles and scived edges, add so much to the look, feel and function of a peice like this. I love it when the design elements can show the spartan, frugal, but durable ways that things were done in period.
I have to admit, I totaly miss that sometimes, when thinking with a "Dwarven" rather than a "Ranger" mindset, and I always appreciate being schooled in this, seeing it done authentically gives me something greater to shoot for.

Once again, well done! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Magnifique!
Nice execution. I think a bit nicer than mine!
Next we need to design a telescoping version, so it can be as short or long as is needed! Haha!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK you got my wheels turning!...to tell you the truth, it could be done, how well...another story! :wink:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Odigan wrote:Magnifique!
Nice execution. I think a bit nicer than mine!
Next we need to design a telescoping version, so it can be as short or long as is needed! Haha!
Mary Poppins meets Middle Earth. I like it! Now someone find me a reference for umbrellas, and we've got a new way to take the straight road to Valinor.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

You know I'm not sure a telescoping version would be too hard. You could have two pieces of leather that slide, one into the other, and a series of small tie straps or buckles to keep it in place... but it would add a lot of extra work, make it more complex, which usually isn't good, and it would leave a seem where water could get in if it rains.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

I've been using this style of pouch or pack for a long time now. I had never heard it referenced anywhere, and sadly I didn't make one myself. I was walking in a local store and a "motorcycle handlebar pouch" caught the corner of my eye. Almost instantaniously I started thinking of ways to utilize it and thought it would be perfect to wear on a belt on the small of the back, being out of the way, secure and most likely hidden by a cloak. It's not as wide as your pouch and maybe a bit deeper, insulated and secured closed by two buckles. It really comes in handy and I would definatley recomend it for anyone. All that being said, great job on it Greg, looks very well crafted, and the same to you Odigan.

here is a picture of that pouch, in case any cared to see:
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I picked up a handlebar bag about 20 years ago. I added a shoulder strap to it. I still use it.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

This is lovely, Greg! Any chance you could describe how you made the leather toggles? I see them on a lot of period items, but I've never known how to make them.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

http://maryrudgard.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... ng-jesses/

Is that a how-to for making leather buttons of that sort? No. But making jesses every year has gotten me rather good at it. Scroll down a few steps, and there it'll be. On this particular portmanteau, my leather was too thick to actually pull through the hole like you see in this how-to, so I stitched it into a roll instead, and bound it at the base, to achieve the same result.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Great step by step on the buttons for the jesses Greg!
And if you want the buttons to be more like toggles, just start the roll at the top of a more flared strip of leather. If the strap flares out in a more triangular fasion you will increase the legnth of the toggle on each side. :mrgreen: