Need-Wallets Revisited: The Portmanteau Pack

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Need-Wallets Revisited: The Portmanteau Pack

Post by Elleth »

Hunh... this is a great idea! Have you had a chance to get out with it much? Would you change anything now were you to do it over?
The stability looks nice - less getting all lumpy and ribs-pokey and such. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I've probably used this portmanteau once every week since making it. I've taken lunch to work in it, I've carried my spare fly reel spools in it when fishing, and I've hiked in this forum's context. It's solid, and I wouldn't change a thing. When I use it for fishing, I actually strap it around my shoulders like a back quiver, over the right and under the left arms, and it fits rather well...the measurement of my waist and chest in this manner appear to be similar, and I'm sure that would cross over for most of us. It's a comfortable way to transport the same piece of gear, and if you're ranging without a cloak of quiver in the spring, near to a waystation not needing much, I'd encourage that as an alternate carry.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very cool - the more I've looked at it, the more I think I'll be trying my hand at one this summer. Do you think it would work well with an oval cross section instead of circular? I realize it wouldn't hold a boiler that way - but otherwise?
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

excellent idea
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:Very cool - the more I've looked at it, the more I think I'll be trying my hand at one this summer. Do you think it would work well with an oval cross section instead of circular? I realize it wouldn't hold a boiler that way - but otherwise?
I doubt that'd be a problem...and it'd bring the weight in a little closer to your frame! Bonus points to you there!
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gondian »

All right Greg you inspired me to try my hand at this handy piece of kit: for your consideration, it is 9" long and 2 1/4 in diameter
Attachments
IMG-20140515-00004.jpg
IMG-20140515-00004.jpg (180.58 KiB) Viewed 17213 times
IMG-20140515-00002.jpg
IMG-20140515-00002.jpg (215.61 KiB) Viewed 17213 times
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Greg

Post by Greg »

Neat-o!

Have any plans for what it'll be carrying? At that size, I could see a sewing/repair kit, fishing kit, and arrow repair setup all fitting in there together nicely.
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gondian »

Greg wrote:Neat-o!

Have any plans for what it'll be carrying? At that size, I could see a sewing/repair kit, fishing kit, and arrow repair setup all fitting in there together nicely.
I was thinking along those lines, sowing, fishing and fire kits. My archery repair stuff I keep in a small pouch attached to my quiver. Glad you like it :mrgreen:
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Finally got most of the materials in that I need for mine... just in time for me to re-jigger my design somewhat.

In the meantime, I've been combing the net for things that might have been the inspiration for Prof. Tolkien's "armed with an Eket, and carrying a need-wallet" image. I'd started with Anglo Saxon relics... but as I thought about it, I thought that a young JRR might have been inspired by his own experiences in WWI. After combing British antique sites I wasn't seeing much, but then...

WWI German infantry bayonet and "bread bag."

Frankly, I like Odigan & Greg's portmanteau adaptation too much to change direction. But I can't help but wonder if that particular line was inspired by seeing some young German messenger with these things around his waist.
Aethelfirth
Wayfarer

Post by Aethelfirth »

Elleth wrote:Finally got most of the materials in that I need for mine... just in time for me to re-jigger my design somewhat.

In the meantime, I've been combing the net for things that might have been the inspiration for Prof. Tolkien's "armed with an Eket, and carrying a need-wallet" image. I'd started with Anglo Saxon relics... but as I thought about it, I thought that a young JRR might have been inspired by his own experiences in WWI. After combing British antique sites I wasn't seeing much, but then...

WWI German infantry bayonet and "bread bag."

Frankly, I like Odigan & Greg's portmanteau adaptation too much to change direction. But I can't help but wonder if that particular line was inspired by seeing some young German messenger with these things around his waist.

That would be a WW2 German bread bag, as well as all the other gear. The British had their own bread bag in WW1, which attached to the P-14 web gear in a variety of ways. As a side note, the WW2 German bread bag positively sucks. You can only fit a very limited number of items in there and it's next to impossible to get anything out of it while wearing. The flap makes it appear much more roomy than it really is. It's narrow and sort of U shaped on the inside.
"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." J.R.R. Tolkien
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Been really wanting to make a portmanteau. Anybody have a suggestion on the ideal size?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Rysgil
Wayfarer

Post by Rysgil »

Here's one I built several years ago, when I did the black powder thing. The sewn dimensions are 23" x 11" x 12". It holds quite a lot of stuff and with the long straps can be overstuffed as needed.

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I like that Rysgil, well done. It does look like it would hold quite a bit of gear, reminds me alot of the dwarves gear in the Hobbit movies, and the stuff in the Weta books that didn't make it in. Back in 2010 I made a similar style pack, which I posted here, but thought to reshare. Included is the small sewing kit I made to fit snugly inside. I like stuff like that lol Also, I finally got a buckle for the straps as well. Here are the pics of my pack, which is similar, I suppose to the Portmanteau:

Ken

edit

"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well done all Mirimaran! I remember liking that quite a while ago, I think it is a very good size for traveling as is yours Rysgil, In making a few over the years, I have always swung between being too small to really do much more than a belt pouch and being too large, (a real dwarf would not complain, but you see I can't be 4'10'' either) thinking I should be able to use it on the road. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rysgil
Wayfarer

Post by Rysgil »

Mine was made for camp use. I need to build a few leather articles already...may have to add pack to the list?