Scrip/Haversack

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Scrip/Haversack

Post by Taurinor »

This is a scrip I made out of some linen I had lying around. The strap is made from what I was previously using as a sword belt. It's about 13" x 13". I'd like to wax it, once I can find a reasonably inexpensive source of beeswax.

I wanted to make the flap triangular, to better match some 14th century images of travelers carrying shoulder bags. Since I started with a rectangular piece of cloth, instead of cutting the flap, I just sewed the edges under to make little pockets.

I'm not sure what I'll put in them yet - something small, obviously.

I have a question for those of you who carry a haversack and a sword. I use a messenger bag in everyday life, and I'm used to wearing it behind my left hip, with the strap over my right shoulder and across my chest. Since I'm right handed, I also wear my sword on my left side. I was hoping if I cinched the strap up so that scrip hung around at my ribs and towards my back, it wouldn't interfere with getting to my sword hilt. Otherwise, I'll just need to wear the scrip on my right side. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions for wearing both a haversack and a sword on the hip?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Scrip/Haversack

Post by wulfgar »

I usually use bee's wax because we have hives, or paraffin to wax my canvas, but I have read about people on the Bushcraft USA forum using wax toilet rings. They are inexpensive and start out fairly soft, so I guess the bag doesn't get very stiff after it's waxed. I am guessing that you want to go the PC route by using bee's wax and that is awesome. The wax rings are just an alternative if you can't get a hold of some.
You can't take the sky from me.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

From my American Civ War reenactment days, I wear my haversack on my right side with the straps under my belt to keep it from flopping around and getting in my way. If you search some my pics on the site, particularly in the past photo contests, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

Taurynor wrote:This is a scrip I made out of some linen I had lying around.

I have a question for those of you who carry a haversack and a sword. I use a messenger bag in everyday life, and I'm used to wearing it behind my left hip, with the strap over my right shoulder and across my chest. Since I'm right handed, I also wear my sword on my left side.
I carry one daily myself.
But I hang it over my left shoulder and right hip. Makes it easier to get into as I am (thanks to my catholic aunt nuns and the American school system) now right handed.
I generally shove it behind so it is over my right buttock. leaving my hands free to swing and whatever.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I carry my haversack on the my left side, with the strap cinched up so the top of the bag rides right along the bottom of my ribcage. This keeps it from swinging around, or moving in front of me when I bend. I have not used with a sword, since if I use a shortsword that is on my right side for a right hand draw. I do use it with my tomahawk (and bayonet for 18th century use) on that side. Hasn't been a problem so far. I made the strap 2" wide so as to make it more comfortable for long wear when fully loaded.

Dunno if that helps, but for what it is worth, there it is.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

wulfgar wrote:I usually use bee's wax because we have hives, or paraffin to wax my canvas, but I have read about people on the Bushcraft USA forum using wax toilet rings.
Do you have any estimate as to how much it would take to wax about 3 square feet of canvas? It turns out one of the fancy grocery stores nearby sells beeswax by weight, and while it's more expense per pound than some online sources I've seen, I could buy fractions of a pound and not pay for shipping.

Thanks to everyone for sharing some insight! I'll probably try everything and see what works best for me.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Eric C wrote:From my American Civ War reenactment days, I wear my haversack on my right side with the straps under my belt to keep it from flopping around and getting in my way. If you search some my pics on the site, particularly in the past photo contests, you'll see what I'm talking about.
You carry your haversack on your right? Your cartridge box should be on your right and your haversack and canteen on the left hip.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Taurynor wrote:
wulfgar wrote:I usually use bee's wax because we have hives, or paraffin to wax my canvas, but I have read about people on the Bushcraft USA forum using wax toilet rings.
Do you have any estimate as to how much it would take to wax about 3 square feet of canvas? It turns out one of the fancy grocery stores nearby sells beeswax by weight, and while it's more expense per pound than some online sources I've seen, I could buy fractions of a pound and not pay for shipping.

Thanks to everyone for sharing some insight! I'll probably try everything and see what works best for me.
I'm pretty sure it would take less than a quarter or a pound. You may be able to find somewhere that sells a muffin tin sized cake. I'll keep an eye out for you and if I find any or have some more around I can send you some.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

wulfgar wrote:
Eric C wrote:From my American Civ War reenactment days, I wear my haversack on my right side with the straps under my belt to keep it from flopping around and getting in my way. If you search some my pics on the site, particularly in the past photo contests, you'll see what I'm talking about.
You carry your haversack on your right? Your cartridge box should be on your right and your haversack and canteen on the left hip.
Actually you're right. When I was reenacting Civ War, I did carry it on the left side. I switched it over when I added the sword to the left side.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.