Yukon Pack

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Yukon Pack

Post by Greg »

Merry Christmas, one and all! On this fine day, I thought I'd share my favorite new pack system I've been working on a bit. What better way to celebrate the season than with kit improvements, eh?

This is the other half of the Odigan-inspired pack assembly I've been working on, finally assembled today into a functioning piece. I've already thought up a few improvements/possible changes to the pack straps themselves, but here it is as a starting point, anyway.

Tolkien was kind enough to write backpacks into his world. I've been stubborn for several years now in wanting to maintain everything in an over-the-shoulder configuration, and I've finally had enough of it. It just simply doesn't distribute the weight evenly, wears on you after awhile, and actually prohibited me from carrying some potentially important things like a tarp, in the name of appearance.

Well, I'm done.

This is an insanely cheap way to tote everything, done for about twenty bucks plus one incredibly simple leather project. ANYONE on this forum, even if they've never done a single leather project, can assemble this.

For starters, you need a 9x6' 8oz canvas tarp, purchasable at Lowe's for $10 in the paint department with the dropcloths. In addition to this, pick up a 50' coil of 3/8" twisted manila rope for $8. I cut off an 18' section of this to use for this specific pack, and the rest will find a use eventually.

There's a quiver sitting there also, and a pair of leather straps. All that these are are backpack-strap shaped strips with a 1" loop stitched onto each end. Insanely simple. Takes less than ten minutes.

Lay out your tarp, and place your bedding materials (in this case, a wool blanket and a canvas groundcloth) in the center, folded into a rectangular pile the shape of a small pack.

Now fold it in sections as wide as your bedding, like rolling up a burrito, first one side over all of it and tucked in, and then rolled all the way across the other side.

This next bit is optional, but very handy in my humble opinion. This part was inspired by an old pic of Pete Remling's backpack, which had a sword and quiver strapped to the sides. A quiver with a somewhat standard single strap can be placed around the "burrito-ed" bedding in this current state. If your strap is too long for this, you can always add an extra buckle hole along the strap where it's needed.

Now, fold down the top end over the quiver strap and along the whole shebang...

...and follow that up by wrapping the bottom end around the whole thing.

^^^That is the OUTside, not the side that will be up against your back. Plan this carefully, or the quiver will be on the wrong side for you to draw an arrow while wearing the pack, an error I made the first time I rigged this, which was annoying to say the least.

Next, we have some wrapping to do. I keep a loop tied on one end of my rope permanently to speed up shelter set-up, in the same way it will be used here...thread the free end through the loop, and you save yourself a knot you have to tie and untie repeatedly. Only catch here is that you have to thread your backpack straps through the rope as you do it for this first bit, like so:

Once you have this loop cinched around the top of the pack, start working your way down, wrapping it around the pack to the bottom, where you'll again thread it through your backpack straps at their bottom ends, and then tie it off on a previous wrap.

Now that the rope has been knotted, you can change the direction of your wrap 90 degrees, and wrap the pack lengthwise. Twice is all it should take, and you can place these vertical wraps to the inside of the backpack straps to keep them separated and prevent them from sliding around. Tie this off one last time to a convenient wrap...somewhere that won't rub on your body as you wear it.

I take my excess rope and wrap it loosely vertically around my quiver and its little pouch. I tuck the loose end in securely, but don't tie it off. The less I have to untie, the better. At full assembly, there are only two knots to undo.

So now, we have a backpack with straps...

...and a quick attachment of my portmanteau dry goods pantry leaves my food ready-to-hand, and my cooking utensils, pipe, and tobacco are all in the pouch on the quiver, so everything is available without breaking down the pack...only the bedding material is out of reach, so the pack can stay completely intact until it's all needed.

Later today I should have more pics of assembling this pack into a "standardized" shelter style that is doable in nearly any conditions with minimal material, using the rope that the pack is tied up with.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Yukon Pack

Post by Eothain »

WOW! Really cool pack system, and even more so how cheap and easy it is to assemble! I'm definately thinking about making the same. Thanks for sharing, Greg!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I love the straps idea. It makes thing so much easier and more comfortable.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'll have pics shortly, but I've already found that straps with loops on the ends are a little inconvenient for sizing purposes. You've kinda gotta put your wraps of rope in exactly the right places to get it to fit well, so innovation had to take a step backwards, so to speak, which actually helped speed up making the pack, too.

What I've done instead was make, essentially, a pair of belts. Just straps with buckles on them, which are a fair bit longer than the original backpack straps. Now, instead of having to thread the rope through straps, you just wrap that sucker up and complete the pack before ever putting backpack straps on, and then just slip the straps under the ropes and buckle them to themselves. Much simpler, more adjustable, and, ironically, it's exactly how Odigan did it when I first saw it. Reinventing the wheel is a bit unnecessary, methinks.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Update:

Here's the new and improved strap system. Makes it adjustable (+1) and you can wrap the whole pack without having to thread ropes through little holes (+likeabijillion).

The whole pack weighs about 10-12 pounds, give or take quiver size, pouches attached, lead content in rations, etc. Not too shabby considering I can find myself lugging 30+ pounds in my modern frame pack for distance hikes.

When this blasted weather clears, I'll finally get outside to set the tarp up as a shelter for purpose of pics. I could do it in my living room, but...well, that just wouldn't feel right.
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I love this pack idea! I tried lining my canvas Cloak with wool since it provided absolutely no warmth, but that made it too bulky, so I've been looking for a good way to carry a blanket. In fact, I've been looking for a way to carry two blankets, one for under me and one for on top. So, this is perfect! Just bundle one inside the other, and make a platform for lashing other gear! I even attached it to my quiver, so I didn't need to make backpack straps. Now, to figure out how to wear it under or over my Cloak, since this changes some stuff around.

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Greg

Post by Greg »

Glad to see it's been useful! Yours looks good!
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

I really like that.
I'll have go have a go at that.
May I ask why the dry pantry is across the rear of the pack rather than on the opposite side to the quiver?

(Apologies for the threadromancy)
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I have problems with the cloak & pack/quiver/whatever thing.

For a cloak to work, it needs to wrap around the body. And for it to protect the gear, it needs to wrap over the gear to give a 'hunchback' look.

Once you strap your pack or quiver or whatever over the cloak, you may be able to access your gear easily but the cloak suddenlt becomes a bulky binding thing that is never comfortable and always gets in the way.

How do you all solve this problem?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Well, there's always the "Hollywood" approach: cut two small holes in the cloak so the straps can pass through, thus not hindering the cloak from flowing around the body. There's also the idea (put forward in another pack-centric thread a while ago, but I can't recall exactly which one) of having one long strap at the top of the pack instead of two shoulder ones. One would buckle this strap around their back, threading it under the arms, and thence up over the body (a bit like the way they rig the cloaks in the Game of Thrones TV show), thereby letting the pack hang on the back naturally, and also leaving the cloak free. Neither of these, of course, offer the cloak's protection to the pack itself, but they do solve the problem of the cloak bunching beneath the pack and its straps.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

*Cracks Knuckles*

Hokay...
man_of_tanith wrote:May I ask why the dry pantry is across the rear of the pack rather than on the opposite side to the quiver?
First of all, for ease of removal. The portmanteau, when not attached to the pack (which, incidentally, happens first, the moment I reach a spot that will be serving as a base camp for any length of time) is worn around the waist, using its strap as a belt. When I take the pack off, I want to be able to immediately remove it and belt it on...call it paranoia or precaution, being separated from my food and fire for any length of time is something I would greatly rue. I was unable to find a way to strap it securely to the side of the pack opposite the quiver...there were ropes I could run the strap through, but it wobbled around too much. If I had run the strap all the way through the pack like I did the quiver's strap, it would have taken longer to assemble the whole thing, etc. Lastly, when I stop on the trail for a quick snack and leave the portmanteau strapped onto the pack, it's nice to be able to prop it upright against a tree and open the portmanteau without dumping its contents, nor putting the full weight of my pack onto my quiver and smushing it into the ground. Just made sense.
RikJohnson wrote:I have problems with the cloak & pack/quiver/whatever thing.

For a cloak to work, it needs to wrap around the body. And for it to protect the gear, it needs to wrap over the gear to give a 'hunchback' look.
I must, first, disagree readily with the first statement, while agreeing with it in the same breath. For a cloak to work for its intended function, keeping me warm, it must wrap around the body. Yes. Agreed. For a cloak to work for this intended purpose, I must also be in a place where I desire for the cloak to wrap around me and keep me warm. I am not going to be sitting by a fire or curled up for the night with the pack on my back. Problem solved, the cloak can wrap around me. When I'm hiking, I don't want any more insulation than my inner and outer garments provide, seeing as how over-insulating myself while on the trail will cause me to sweat unnecessarily much, soaking my inner layers to make for a cold and uncomfortable night, as well as ridding me of excess water I would have preferred to keep in my system longer. Begin travel feeling a bit on the chill side--your body will warm appropriately and you'll be comfortable--and then bed down with heavier insulation all around to make up for the lack of body heat yielded by movement.

As for protecting the gear, there is no need for this here. The leather is well-oiled, so it'll take care of itself, and the pack itself is made of your tent tarp, which should be an essentially waterproof barrier...so frankly, the tarp is protecting your cloak, in part, here.
RikJohnson wrote:Once you strap your pack or quiver or whatever over the cloak, you may be able to access your gear easily but the cloak suddenlt becomes a bulky binding thing that is never comfortable...
If you take a spare moment after putting on the pack, and yank on the outer edges of the cloak under the pack, it will bunch at your hips rather than across your back, preventing this discomfort. My cloak isn't massive, so it's easier for me to deal with, having just a bit over half the material a standard half-circle cloak does.
RikJohnson wrote:...and always gets in the way.

How do you all solve this problem?
Again, I have a lightened cloak which serves all of the basic forms and functions of a normal half-circle, with reduced weight...but any cloak that gets in the way while being worn under a backpack, frankly, is too long, and removing the backpack won't make a difference in how much it gets in the way.

Using unlined wool, by the way, for cloak material, helps hold it pulled back over your shoulders, since wool sticks to wool fairly well.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Vertical shoulder straps aren't the only way to carry a bag...
bosch.jpg
bosch.jpg (84.03 KiB) Viewed 17430 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Vertical shoulder straps aren't the only way to carry a bag...
bosch.jpg
I note the kidney daggger, the spoon through the carry handle, some kind of hood AND a hat in his hand.
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Very nice pack. I may have to imitate this. How long are the updated straps with buckles?
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

At risk of getting a little afield, I've seen the same strap arrangement caedmon notes - a single strap across the shoulders - in numerous colonial era pack arrangements as well, both Euro knapsacks and native tumplines. It works great for a bedroll as well, especially when one shoulder or the other is getting sore from carrying the weight "purse/haversack" style.

And neat! Greg - with that arrangement, how much extra bother is it for you to unpack and repack?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.