Ancient Roman multitool, thats right 2nd century multitool!

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Ancient Roman multitool, thats right 2nd century multitool!

Post by ineffableone »

Leatherman gets all the credit as the first multi tool, but they were late to the game by almost 1800 years!

Ancient Roman folding multi-tool device. The tool features a knife, a spoon, a three-tined fork, a spike, a spatula, and a small pick. 2nd century AD.

I saw someone mention this in another forum on a thread about multitools and was amazed. I could totally see Dwarves making such items and them being quite popular trade items.

Another view

http://www.wired.com/2010/11/2000-year- ... multi-tool
What have the Romans ever done for us? Well, it turns out that back somewhere between A.D 201 to 300, a clever Roman, probably named MacGyvericus, invented the multitool. And not just some weird, old-fashioned multitool, either. MacGyvericus’ tool is startlingly similar to the modern Swiss Army Knife, now part of the collection of the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, England.

Like the common Swiss tool, the Roman version has a lot of foldaway implements stowed inside: a knife, spike, pick, fork and a spatula. Unlike the modern-day equivalent, the Roman Army Knife has a useful spoon on the end, making it likely that this iron and silver artifact, found in somewhere in the Mediterranean countries, was meant for eating with.
For more pictures and stats on this check out http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/se ... iref=70534
ineffableone

Re: Ancient Roman multitool, thats right 2nd century multito

Post by ineffableone »

Looks like someone made a reproduction of these. But I haven't found it for sale anywhere, yet.

http://www.mambri.com/CosasArmillum/Cuc ... iusos.html

These ancient predecessors of the Swiss Army Utility knife were composed by one knife blade, one fork which could be unfold into a spoon and several more tools, such as a nail cleaner, an ear cleaner and one punch. They used to be made in silver which makes us suppose that they were used basically by the higher classes. Armillum’s model is made in brass, with copper rivets. The knife blade is made in steel. It is inspired in a model that can be found in the Fitzwilliams Museum in Cambridge. In the different pictures you will see how the different tools can be opened.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

There was a gentleman on R.A.T. (Roman Army Talk) who may have produced them at one point I think - certainly there are several craftsmen in that field who do similarly intricate work and could be persuaded to produce one, I'm sure. Sadly, I only passed through there a year or two ago, and don't actually know any of the players in that world.

Maybe try there and the vendors listed on -

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/supplrs.html
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Just found a video of one of these.

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Incredible. If ANYONE finds these for sale, please post it up. I would love to have one for my kit. Or maybe one of you crafty types could create one.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

E.MacKermak wrote:Incredible. If ANYONE finds these for sale, please post it up. I would love to have one for my kit. Or maybe one of you crafty types could create one.
I second this!! I want a couple of them!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

I think it is just amazing that 1800 years ago someone was making what we would consider a multi tool. Interesting how it was focused on eating utensils. The reproduction doesn't have it, but in the 1st picture you can see a rottened out part, that was a spatula. I think it was made of wood which is why it didn't last. Interesting too that the original was made mostly of silver, making it a fairly high priced item. Though likely silver was used due to it's ease in working and availabilities of metals as well as silver being a good metal to use with food.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

It actually doesn't look that hard to make - just really time consuming.

... fascinating how many "modern" things are old, old, old. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

People forget how advanced the Romans actually were do remember they had running water. Their only downside was their reliance on their technology (doesn't that sound like a certain people today).
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That HAS to be re-done with some dwarven motifs. It's absolutely awesome.

Next person that tells me the Balisong/Butterfly knife was the first folding knife gets a mouthful of Rome.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

I may have to try to make one of these! So cool!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I think I may have shown you mine before, but for the newcomers, this is the one l grew up with.
My Gramps and my Dad both had one and I loved them (got to sneak Dad's out of the house once for a boyscout trip and there was hell to pay when I got back!) When my Gramps passed on, the two of them sat together in my Dad's drawer collecting dust, When my Dad passed away they were supposed to have come to me and disappeared. I was heartbroken till I found this one, but unfortunately it was not at all in good shape. I fixed it up the best I can and I use the heck out of it, but I have always been on the lookout for one in good condition (with the sheath that was made for it)

I know it looks a bit more modern (like early last century, but I could think of it as something an outdoorsman would carry made by a dwarf)
Anyhow I like to think of it as a dwarven "on the road" feast kit. I am in the prosess of making a custom sheath for it. It is missing the corkscrew on the back too, oh well! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

This cool ancient stuff is one reason I love MER. We can play with things from different periods and just have fun with it.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id118.html

$32 dollars.

Just realized that these aren't the same,,,cool none the less though.
You can't take the sky from me.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

wulfgar wrote:http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id118.html

$32 dollars.

Just realized that these aren't the same,,,cool none the less though.
Yep still pretty cool.