Brisk Morning Outing

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Brisk Morning Outing

Post by Taurinor »

I posted a picture where I was using Greg's bedroll set up in the "In three days" topic, so I figured I'd post a picture of the bedroll here.
bedroll.jpg
bedroll.jpg (224.92 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
The "roll" part of it is just my wool blanket wrapped in my 8'x8' oilskin tarp. There's also a bag of modern metal stakes in there - I like to camp at one of the nearby state parks, which requires campers to set up on sand tent pads, and I've had trouble getting sharpened sticks to hold in the sand.

The belt is the one Peter Remling made for the fire-themed photo contest. It's 2.5" wide, so it doesn't dig into my shoulder the way I've had thinner straps do. It also has a striker buckle and flint-pouch, which is awesome.

The portmanteau was made by Greg. It fits snugly on the belt, so it doesn't slide around once I get it positioned. It's going to be my pantry. Once Bob over at Backwoods Tin starts taking orders again, I'm planning on getting a corn boiler - the small one should fit pretty perfectly in there. Nob brought the hobbits "cans of hot water" at the Prancing Pony, so I'm using that as my justification.

After setting camp, I could wear the belt and portmanteau around my waist, but I already have a couple pouches on my belt. Instead, I plan on still wearing it across my chest, but with the portmanteau on my back instead of in front, sort of like a quiver. If I ever start trekking with an actual quiver I may need to rethink that, but it should be fine for now.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I love this setup! Looks extremely functional!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

FYI: I actually fitted that portmanteau to my bean boiler from backwoods tin...I began the portmanteau before I began the contest, and had originally planned it for my own use until my plans went in a different direction. The small boiler from backwoods is slightly larger in diameter than the bean boiler, but the diameters listed don't account for the width of the bail, which extends a bit on both sides. You might politely ask him to make a boiler as tall as the small boiler, but as big around as the bean boiler just to be safe. Small diameter differences, but shouldn't change the price much, and you'll be guaranteed that it fits.

I didn't realize in the other thread that the big strap was serving as your tumpline, and the portmanteau was in place of my snapsack. That's awesome! So glad it's working for you...that super-wide strap looks insanely comfortable. Neat-o!

I've actually worn my smaller portmanteau on my back for day hikes in the moderns, and have carried snacks and spare fly-reel spools in it when fishing before. Super comfy on the back. If you start carrying a quiver, you might try stitching a short leather belt onto one side with a buckle, as a way to strap the portmanteau to the quiver. A bedroll's too heavy in my book to be strapped to a quiver...but a portmanteau full of food should be fine.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Greg wrote:A bedroll's too heavy in my book to be strapped to a quiver...but a portmanteau full of food should be fine.
Speaking from my own experience, I would have to agree. I had my bedroll strapped to my quiver last summer, and I still had to have a dedicated chest-strap for it, so as not to put all the weight on the straps of the poor quiver.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains