Brisk Morning Outing

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Brisk Morning Outing

Post by Greg »

Took a walk on a lovely brisk January morning this past Tuesday...got up nice and early and went into the local State Park (so no, I didn't cook anything) to take a stroll with the dog.

Yep, you heard that right. We'll call this outing "Return of the Shadow". Not to be confused with a later installment of the History-of-Middle-Earth series...

BOOM! Pics.

If you stare at this one long and hard, something will magically appear...

SURPRISE BEDROLL WRITE-UP!
And you were thinking "This doesn't belong in the Hard Kit forum..."

So what we have here, is a bedroll system that has solved several key issues for me.

1) Canvas tarps are REALLY heavy, and aren't perfect water barriers.
2) Strapping bedrolls to quivers works...but isn't as comfortable/modular as it could be. Can't carry enough for 10-14 solid days on the go.
3) A short, tight bedroll as seen in one of my last articles is REALLY stiff...bounces a little bit, and the weight isn't distributed well.
4) Haversacks get in the way a lot for me, and aren't removable without taking off everything that's on top of them, etc. Not simple, not easy, not quick.
5) CAPACITY. The yukon pack had it, but it just didn't feel right, or work well with my new quiver. Haversack gave it to me, plus all the above problems.

So what the crap do we do?

Let's break it down from complete camp setup, into a bedroll.

This is a 5'x7' oilcloth tarp purchased from JBook and his dad's sutler business. I snagged 4 yards @$12 a yard. Best deal on this stuff I've ever seen, and it is BY FAR the most superior of the material I've ever come across. Get this: IT DOESN'T IGNITE. It burns, but it doesn't roar up in flames. More like a candle wick. May not be 100% period in oil content, but I'll trade that for not burning to death in my sleep. Moving on:

What I've done with it is the smallest shelter option. We've got a 2 1/4-foot wide groundcloth section, folded under a 4 3/4-foot (ish) shelter section. This means that not only will falling rain be wicked away and sheltered from, but downhill-draining rainwater will then run under the tarp, and not soak my stuff. The tarp can, of course, also be spread out to make a spacious 5x7 lean-to, which I would use primarily when I have a log downed that can be used to prevent water from running under me, etc. Lots of options, including modified diamond flys, a-frames, or simply folding it over me in a pinch, etc. are also possible, despite its small size, which is for one main purpose: Weight.

Huzzah for Ye Olde Tautline hitch!

So that's the shelter portion. Let's move on to sleeping arrangements. I wear a wool melton cloak, which is a modular part of this; it can be additional insulation from the ground, additional all-around wrapping, or a pillow in particularly warm weather. That being said, the real workhorse here is my new Italian Military Surplus blanket, seen in the photo of Shadow taking over my sleeping space. This sucker is huge, dense, and super-warm. It's a vintage 60's-ish blanket...they're fairly common on ebay, for around $55-60, but well worth it. Here, I have it folded, so there's a layer over me, and a layer under me, plus the wool cloak under all of that for insulation. Lastly, of course, I have my wool-lined linen fitted hood, which serves essentially as a cinched mummy bag. No air leaks here.

If shadow would cooperate, you'd be able to see that I, all of my gear, AND my personal fuzzy heating appliance can all fit under the tarp quite cozily...but the dog doesn't like to settle down and cuddle until after dusk. Just ask Straelbora.

We interrupt this write-up to take a sit and have a pipe.

*Cough* Ahem.

Next on the list: Food capacity. Now, in a standard bedroll, the only way to carry things inside is to increase the diameter of the bedroll...often awkwardly and exponentially. To keep it as narrow as possible, I've decided to start rolling it MUCH wider than I used to, which keeps it more flexible, and lets it wrap naturally around my body, so it rides closer...you know, like I said in my last bit on these: "High and tight to the body." In addition, I've come up with this cute little invention for dry goods that I like to call a "bean sock", made just for being rolled into the central core of a bedroll.
Here, you see the bean sock containing red lentils (ignore the technicolored-ness...they turn oatmeal brown when cooked. I'd stick with the green ones, except the red ones cook nearly 2 1/2 times faster, so red wins.) We also have my bean boiler from backwoods tin, some hardtack, and small golden potatoes, which are NOT rolled into the bedroll. Instead, they go in the part of this setup I'm probably most proud of:

This is the bean sock, fully loaded, on top of a hand-stitched small linen snapsack, which contains my boiler, about twenty hardtack, ten days' worth of small potatoes, and still has room to spare. Now, a snapsack alone wouldn't solve the issues the haversack has...it'd essentially be in the same place, which is why THIS snapsack is instead an integral part of the bedroll itself. Take off the bedroll, the snapsack comes right along. Here's how it's all put together:
Here, I've pulled the lower end of the snapsack INTO the bedroll:
...and the upper end attaches to my strap buckle. I'll replace tying it on with a loop-and-toggle on each end when I have some time. Right now, two of my four tarp ties are used to secure the ends. When the dedicated loop-and-toggles are finished, I can set up my shelter, leave my bedroll there, and attach the snapsack to one of my Quiver's straps in a similar way, and continue carrying the whole shebang if I so chose.
So that's that...
...buckle your strap...
...and Voila!

I feel it fits period reasonably well enough, though the setup itself doubtfully exists in actual history, but it REALLY fits the look and feel of middle-earth. Far more important, though, is that having a loaded snapsack on the front of a load-bearing strap evens out the weight a little, so I'm not constantly being tugged on from the back. The whole thing weighs about 15 pounds (the blanket alone is 5.5 pounds, and there's a pound and a half of lentils in that bean sock...) which is quite manageable. In my modern frame pack I can easily double that for a weekend, and this is designed for a fortnight, so a major win there, for sure.

So all in all, I'm very pleased, and can happily say that after WAY too many revisions, I'm actually gonna stick with this one for a good long while. It plays nicely with my quiver, though I'm currently arrow-less and my bow is sitting stripped of grip, etc., in the kitchen, so for this outing I went a la aragorn, armed with Sword alone.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Brisk Morning Outing

Post by Rifter »

Some great shots and kit there Greg. It's January snow here right now and I don't have winter kit so any shots from me will have to wait a touch. Good stuff
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Most inventive, sir! Do you know how your back quiver will interact with this bedroll setup? Will you make any changes to this load for warm weather?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That's awesome! Very well done!

What happened to your "pantry" / need-wallet if I may ask? Is it still in the mix, or have you found reason to swap it out?

Re: the "bean sock" - some ideas are just too good to die, I think! A very similar idea was present in the 1990's frontier reenactor community, then called a "food quiver."

I've got a couple iterations on the theme here - not as sleek as yours, but a similar idea. One is essentially a long skinny snapsack, the other just a skinny pouch on a leather strap. Both are lined, but frankly don't have to be:

The original documentation was based on a (possibly misinterpreted) mention of a native near the original Plymouth colony carrying such a thing.. but there's some speculation that its use in reenactor circles owes at least as much to VietCong rice carriers, similarly shaped like long "socks."

http://www.combatsportsupply.com/vnricetubekit.aspx
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cool stuff there, Elleth! I figured I wasn't trying anything truly new...it made too much sense to never have been done before.

As for the portmanteau: I wore it on this outing. The need-wallet portmanteau is supposed to simply function as a first-line piece of gear, much in the way that a modern 'bug-out bag' is intended to: To carry bare essentials for living independantly for a full 72 hours. To this end, it also carries some hardtack...usually about three, plus my dried no-cooking-necessary stuff like nuts, dates, cheese, seasonings (salt and thyme) and jerky. I also typically keep my store of salt pork in here, though that may wind up in the snapsack...time and testing will tell. The bedroll, on the other hand, carries only dry bulk goods...the stuff that makes up the mass of my meals (ie. the beans, potatoes, and hardtack, etc.) so is stuff that wouldn't be carried on my person at all times. The portmanteau never gets taken off...I sleep in it by sliding it around on its dedicated belt to the front (which is also where I keep it when cooking/snacking.) Hard to see it, but there's a glimpse of it on my front in the fourth photo down, just behind my left hand, and in the photo sitting with my pipe, it's not visible, but you can see a crease where its belt runs, and my sword+belt are leaning against a tree, so clever deduction equals it's still there!

As for the quiver:
They play very nicely together. The quiver hangs nearly vertically, and fits through one small gap where the bedroll does not contact my back. Intentional or coincidence, I can't yet decide, but it works great. You'll notice the bedroll is on my LEFT shoulder. Viggo seemed to discover this, as have I, that the weight of a pack on your sword arm is NOT conducive to effective swordplay, but my quiver is light and firmly anchored, so I can work with it on the right shoulder. Even with this roll on, I can still ward, cut, and shoot fairly comfortably.

For warmer weather, I could always sleep in just my cloak and carry the tarp alone in the same setup for weather emergencies, etc. Lots of options.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by jbook »

Glad I could help supply you with that oil cloth, Greg! Your kit and bed roll looks great!

As Greg mentioned we have this stuff for sale at $12.00 a yard and it is excellent. I use it as well for lean to and shelter halves. If any of you would be interested I'd be happy to hook you up.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Wow!!! I love the new sleeping kit!

And you couldn't have posted it at a better time, I am potentially on my way to updating my sleeping kit, and this is a very cool set up.

I may take Jbook up on his offer!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Very nice setup!

The "bean bag" reminds me of a rice bag carried in samurai times. I don't recall the name of the item, nor do I have an image for you, but it's the same idea.

I would imagine a "forage bag" would prove handy, since a Ranger would get contributions from grateful villagers from time to time...
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

This is beyond awesome Greg! I use similar material for my ground cloth and the reduction in weight is life changing on long treks. Really like the color of the material as well.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

As always, Greg, you remain the Ranger's Ranger :) well done and documented! How far did you hike? Now, have you ever given the thought to caches? I don't know if where you regularly hike would be considered safe to leave rations or allow some sort of digging, but it would be interesting to see more long term storage and some sort of Ranger trace for others to find as they travel along the Road.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
jbook

Post by jbook »

If you were to leave a cache of food stores or other valuable resource, that oilcloth would be the PERFECT material to wrap it in. I would think it would keep it safe for quite some time! Great suggestion!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Great post Brother!
I always enjoy when you show your kit in action! You look so damn comfortable in it and as each peice has been so carefully thought out it seems like it cant help but become a part of you. You don't just dress up you show what it is to BE your kit! Thank you! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

that is a great kit, awesome photos , and a beautiful dog. my old one no longer with me looked like that and had same name.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very nice stuff, thanks again for the pics and write-up, Greg! Others have already said the majority of what I wanted to mention myself.

Maaaaan... the more I look at all these awesome trekking kits, the more inspired I am to finally get my butt in gear and make my own kit functional this year.

As for the oilcloth, it looks great, and I think I may have to get some for a setup like this of my own. Is the setup you're showing here using all 4 yards, or a smaller amount? I've been somewhat hesitant to use oilcloth, mainly because I want my ranger kit to do double-duty as a 13th century woodsman kit, and I believe oilcloth wasn't invented until something like the 17th century, but I could be wrong about that. Still, I don't think I can argue with its effectiveness, and I'm sure I'd much rather carry a bedroll wrapped in lightweight oilcloth than heavy cotton duck. I wonder, do you think the oilcloth would be strong enough to potentially double as a hammock, if one were to attach some heavy-duty eyelets?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:I've been somewhat hesitant to use oilcloth, mainly because I want my ranger kit to do double-duty as a 13th century woodsman kit, and I believe oilcloth wasn't invented until something like the 17th century, but I could be wrong about that. Still, I don't think I can argue with its effectiveness, and I'm sure I'd much rather carry a bedroll wrapped in lightweight oilcloth than heavy cotton duck.
I think you're right about oilcloth being post-medieval. If you want something closer to the 13th century, you could look into making cerecloth, or linen treated with wax, resins, and oils. There is a discussion of it here. Cerecloth is mostly known for having been used to wrap corpses and protect altars, but cered (waxed) cloth is occasionally mentioned in other contexts.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)