Hard kit from my latest trek

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Hard kit from my latest trek

Post by Taurinor »

[*]I recently did another overnighter at Caledon State Park, so I figured while I had all my gear together I'd take some pictures.

Everything rode pretty comfortably - I used a swag/haversack combo set-up. It was only a 3 mile hike on pretty easy trails to the campsite, so weight wasn't a huge concern. I wish I had brought a little more water, though. It was warm and I only had about a liter. The site is right on the Potomac, so I could have filtered and boiled river water if I had really been in trouble, but I didn't.

Here's a detailed breakdown of my gear (minus my belt knife, which disappeared and then reappeared right after I took the pictures):

• 1. 8’x8’ oilskin tarp
    2. Wool blanket
    3. Costrel
    4. Belt pouch
    5. Candle
    6. Tinderbox with charred punkwood
    7. Flint and steel
    8. Tinder bag with cedar and birch bark
    9. Rope
    10. Polled tomahawk
    11. Cordage
    12. Modern steel tent stakes – Caledon has sand tent pads, so stakes made from branches haven't worked well for me. Hopefully in the future I’ll either be able to camp elsewhere or get some forged iron stakes.
    13. Convertible snapsack
    14. Wooden bowl
    15. Pewter spoon
    16. Lentils
    17. Ceramic mug with waxed linen cover
    18. Ceramic pipkin
    19. Waxed linen scrip
    20. Spare flints and steel striker
    21. Folding knife
    22. Beginnings of a hygiene kit – Right now it’s just a horn comb and wool cloth, but I hope to add some soap and a bone toothbrush.
    23. Sewing kit
    24. Honey and walnut hardtack/cram/lembas
    25. Jerky
    26. Almonds and dried apples
    27. Rectangular cloak
    28. Walking stick
    29. Emergency modern supplies pouch – This is a pouch I keep on the back of my belt with some gear for emergencies. Right now it consists of a emergency bivy bag, a waterproof case with modern essentials, first aid supplies, and matches, as well as a small flashlight and some paracord. That’s because I do short trips in parks with well marked trails and campsites, so exposure and injury are my primary concerns. Once I work up to longer treks in WMAs and the like, I’ll include water treatment supplies, etc.
Last edited by Taurinor on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Hard kit from my latest trek

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice. I particularly like where you have numbered and cross referenced everything. You look a lot of time to do this and your effort is appreciated.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Nice stuff! I too really like the way you presented this as well.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Brilliant! Would this be for Breelander kit?
Out of curiosity, any idea what it all weighs?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Udwin wrote:Brilliant! Would this be for Breelander kit?
Out of curiosity, any idea what it all weighs?
Thanks! Most of it is meant to do double duty as medieval trekking gear, but I think it fits my Breelander kit pretty well, too.

As for the weight, I thought someone might ask, but I don't have a scale. I'll see if I can find someone who does, though. I reckon it's relatively heavy, but with the swag set up, it's pretty well balanced. The pot and eating gear in the bag in the front works well to even out the tarp and blanket roll on my back.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

thats some nice looking gear ,
Beldanath
Wayfarer

Post by Beldanath »

Wow this has inspired me! Getting it all on your back must be an adventure...there is a science to backpacking with period stuff...do we have a sticky somewhere that documents the process of balancing the roll and securing stuff so you can hike without killing your back?
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

A few different methods have been discussed in a few different threads, but I don't know that we have one big thread for it. Brian made a video on the swag, which is where I learned about it: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3KCVTxW2Hc
Last edited by Taurinor on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Love these breakdowns, well done Ranger, great kit and gear!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Beldanath
Wayfarer

Post by Beldanath »

Taurinor wrote:A few different methods have been discussed in a few different threads, but I don't know that we have one big thread for it. Brian made a video on the swag, which is where I learned about it: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3KCVTxW2Hc

Awesome! I just subscribed to Brian's channel...I love his covered up Bota video...I definitely think I am going to make one like that...much cheaper than a Costrel...
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

There are numerous ways to make a bedroll work for you on distance treks. Do a little searching for bedroll through the forum, and you'll find quite a few that have been documented here.

Taurinor, it looks better every time! Way to get out there so early in the season! I'll second the numbered photo...that really oughta become a standard; so clear and concise. Raising the bar around here, folks!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Greg wrote:Taurinor, it looks better every time! Way to get out there so early in the season! I'll second the numbered photo...that really oughta become a standard; so clear and concise. Raising the bar around here, folks!
Thanks! It was really mice, actually - highs around 75, but it didn't get lower than 40 overnight, and the bugs weren't really out yet.

I'm glad you guys like the format. I took the idea from this article talking about Thom Atkinson's "Soldiers' Inventories" photo series.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

I've never been enlightened on The Swag carrying method. I shall definitely have to try it out.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Wow! Nice presentation of a very complete hard kit.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Goodness that's a well thought out set up! Always glad to see when folks get to hit the trail.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”