Simple and cheap eating knife

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Odigan
Vendor

Simple and cheap eating knife

Post by Odigan »

Saw this over on MyArmoury and thought it might be useful to some here.
DIY: Thrift Store Eating Knife
MasterStrong
Wanderer

Re: Simple and cheap eating knife

Post by MasterStrong »

HA! I was thrift store hunting for an upcoming trek and was specifically wondering how best to go about altering some modern utensils. This is excellent!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, this is pretty great actually. Definitely want to try it! I bet one could make a fair profit on something like this via Etsy. I might have to try that too sometime, heh...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have found quite a few three tined forks that are inserted into wooden handles. They look a bit more medeival (I know that forks of this nature were not often used in history until rather late periods however if Lobelia was steeling the silverware she would have certainly tried to get away with these too!)
I take the wooden handle off then insert the fork into an antler tine, leaving a bit of a gap.
I then cast a joining bolster of silver solder to it and they come out rather nicely I think.
If I wanted to go a bit further, I could even remove that center tine in the fork as I have seen done in many other feastware kits.
I am sure that if you can find the right peices (and you can find many such peices of inexpensive flatware by the bin full in thriftshops) you could do this with spoons and tableknives as well.
I do like the idea of using wooden scales on the handles of otherwise simple metal flatware and making a nice leather sheath for the set. A single meat pick could be substituted for the fork very nicely and be more in period as well and very easy to fashion.

I have been doing some interesting beard combs in a simalure fashion using thicker antler and sometimes a bit more carving but that is for another post. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Urthgard
Wayfarer

Post by Urthgard »

Cool post Odigan!

Second hand stores are a weekly routine for me and I actually carry something along these lines myself. Several years ago I found an old carbon steel table knife that looked like it lost an argument with a garbage disposal. For .25 cents how could I pass it up? I cut the mangled part off and re-shaped the blade. Makes for a nice small utility knife with a lot of character. It is however strictly a light duty tool as the blade is relatively soft but it sharpens quickly and it will skin small game. I find it very handy as a simple camp knife with 1001 uses. I made a sheath for it that can be worn on a belt or as a neck knife using the loop on the back. Because of it's low bulk I can even sleep with it comfortably. Gotta love second hand stores :)
Attachments
Recycled knife A.jpg
Recycled knife A.jpg (78.48 KiB) Viewed 13232 times
Recycled Knife B.jpg
Recycled Knife B.jpg (74.96 KiB) Viewed 13232 times
Recycled Knife C.jpg
Recycled Knife C.jpg (79.3 KiB) Viewed 13232 times
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
~Leonardo Da Vinci
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very cool! Gives me all kinds of ideas!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Urthguard,
I really like the conversion! The handle is beautiful, I see why you chose it!
I am even more impressed with that wonderfuly functional little sheath. Very nice work that! (your giving me inspirations too!)
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Clever!
Urthgard - that's incredible, I love it!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I started my eating kit for SCA and continued for MERF and other medieval hobbies by checking thrift stores and flea markets. Got quite a bit of nice stuff in the collection now.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.