Ursus kit carry updates(picture barrage)

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Ursus kit carry updates(picture barrage)

Post by Ringulf »

Udwin wrote:
Ursus wrote:Taurandir, cool sounding name. What does it mean?
I'm not up on my elvish verbs, but taur is 'forest', so I'm guessing forest-walker/runner?
Since Mithrandir was said to be Grey pilgrim or wanderer, and mith is grey, I would think the closer concept would be that of a pilgrim/wanderer in the wood. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Whoops! pardon my redundancy I did not see Greg's reply before I posted! :mrgreen:
(but I am glad I'm in good company!) :wink:

And to address the initial subject...Wow Ursus! Fantastic kit, you really look like you can live in it, great job!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Awesome!
I think what I like best about your kit is that it just looks lived in.
The hooded picture captures the less-than-savory reputation Rangers have quite well - and with more than a bit of menace!

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a bowbag dyed brown before. And yet of course it would be.
I'm also curious to hear how the fabric arrow bag - and the arrows inside - hold up over time. As you said, our ancestors did it that way, so it certainly worked for them.

Taurandir... I like it. : )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Elleth wrote:Awesome!
I think what I like best about your kit is that it just looks lived in.
The hooded picture captures the less-than-savory reputation Rangers have quite well - and with more than a bit of menace!

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a bowbag dyed brown before. And yet of course it would be.
I'm also curious to hear how the fabric arrow bag - and the arrows inside - hold up over time. As you said, our ancestors did it that way, so it certainly worked for them.

Taurandir... I like it. : )
Thanks! It looks lived in because it is lived in lol. These clothes have been sweated through, crawled through the mud in, rained on, trained in, and slept in all manner of treks in.

The bow bag started as white canvas and is a deep green actually and has been waterproofed.

It's only two weeks old but the arrow bag has revolutionized my pack and how I carry my arrows.
. No more fletchings getting crushed by the odd low hanging branch. Now everything is always dry and undamaged which allows me the best performance from every arrow.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

i gotta ask what boots are those? they look great.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

grimwulf wrote:i gotta ask what boots are those? they look great.
The boots are an ancient pair that a friend gave me and I'm unsure exactly of the maker, house of ander maybe? They started as black that I gradually leached the black dye out of until they where a light gray and then re dyed them brown. It was labor intensive but worth it as the are very good leather boots.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Damn, that's a nice kit. Just a really, really nice kit. Between you and Greg, I've got my work cut out for me, trying to adapt and upgrade my current gear to a standard slightly closer to what I see on this forum. Over the next few months I'm going to try to play with some different gear-carrying techniques based on the examples both you and Greg have displayed here and see how they work for me. I love how well this setup fits under your cloak. Like Greg, I would probably want quicker access to my arrows (if I was considering myself to be wandering in orc-infested territory, mainly), but I totally see your points on that subject as well. Overall though, not only does this setup seem extremely practical, but it also looks AWESOME, which is a huge plus in my book, haha.

Once again, very nicely done.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

A few more notes, while I'm thinking on it:

First of all, I love how you adapted that baldric into a sword belt. Capital idea, that. Looks like it works perfectly, and the incorporated knife sheath is a very nice touch as well. Secondly, I really like your arrow-bag setup, and I totally get your reasoning behind it. Personally, I think I will soon be making a much sleeker, slightly flexible, lighter-weight quiver than the one I use currently (probably based on the ones used by the Ithilien rangers in the films), and I foresee it having much the same advantages as your arrow bag here. I think I would personally want just a little more protection than cloth around my arrows (mainly because I'm clumsy as hell), but your overall setup with it seems very practical, and I'll definitely be drawing inspiration from it. And lastly, do you happen to have larger versions of these photos anywhere? I'd love to see some of them in a little more detail.

Cheers!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Manveruon wrote:A few more notes, while I'm thinking on it:

First of all, I love how you adapted that baldric into a sword belt. Capital idea, that. Looks like it works perfectly, and the incorporated knife sheath is a very nice touch as well. Secondly, I really like your arrow-bag setup, and I totally get your reasoning behind it. Personally, I think I will soon be making a much sleeker, slightly flexible, lighter-weight quiver than the one I use currently (probably based on the ones used by the Ithilien rangers in the films), and I foresee it having much the same advantages as your arrow bag here. I think I would personally want just a little more protection than cloth around my arrows (mainly because I'm clumsy as hell), but your overall setup with it seems very practical, and I'll definitely be drawing inspiration from it. And lastly, do you happen to have larger versions of these photos anywhere? I'd love to see some of them in a little more detail.

Cheers!
It was with a heavy heart that I abandoned my quiver. I had spent a lot of time in its crafting and was very attached to it. I toyed with the idea of removing the quiver's shoulder strap and adding ties much like I did on my arrow bag for more versatile carry options. Ultimately though for every solution I came up with I found another problem waiting. The quiver is noisy so I added an internal arrow bag, then this added some weight and led to the question of why carry two containers meant for arrow storage when I could carry one and it be quiet and essentially weightless.
Also it became a matter of straps. I never allow more than three(preferably two)to cross my body and they must all go the same way so that the whole pack can easily slip on and off. My quiver added an unnecessary strap. Also it didn't multitask. Aside from carry arrows all it did was, make noise, leave my arrows exposed to weather and damage, and get in the way. I feel like rangers in ME or anywhere for that matter would throw up their hands here as well, kit has to function for the task it is used in. For me as a regular trekker that means quick easy access to all food, water, gear and weapons, quick and quiet to put on and take off, quick to break down, quick to put together, and comfortable for all terrains on long distance marches.
As far as arrow access goes I've found that wearing the arrow bag tied slanted across my back gives easy access to arrows even under my cloak. This is also the way arrow bags where often worn historically. The main focus of my pack is quick, quiet travel through the woods more than combat archery. If my need was so urgent as to need it straight away it is likely the bow wouldn't be the best choice anyway. I would also have to stop to string it and by that time the fighting would be hand to hand. When it comes to ranging the bow to me is a weapon used from the cover of the woods but not in the woods. It is a distance weapon best deployed in more open areas that allow for range or when only firing several arrows during a well laid woodland ambush. So unless Ive detected a need for them both arrows and stave will remain stored for travel. Just my two pence.

I do have the photos in a larger size and would be glad to share them. In fact I plan on having my current wiki write up deleted and using these and others not yet added for the new write up. Anything else you would like to know please don't hesitate to ask.
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thanks! It looks lived in because it is lived in lol. These clothes have been sweated through, crawled through the mud in, rained on, trained in, and slept in all manner of treks in.
Honest wear is the best wear. : )
It was with a heavy heart that I abandoned my quiver.
I'll bet! It's such an iconic thing!

On the other hand, there may be a reason the "Robin Hood" quiver doesn't enter the record until well after archery for the most part had stopped being a matter of life and death.
I still intend to make one over the winter though: the romance is too fun not to at least try it. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.