On the Subject of Pocket Knives

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

On the Subject of Pocket Knives

Post by Harper »

We know that Rangers had knives. Whether fighting knives, smaller Bushcraft type knives or some combination of the two. They had knives.

Yet, because of their size, these knives could not fulfill all the functions that a Ranger in the field would need. Rangers would require, finer blades for: first aid, personal hygiene, whittling, dressing small game, etc.

Enter the pocket knife. I'm not talking a Swiss Army knife. Just a basic, single blade affair.

We know Hobbits had them. During the Riddle Game, one of the guesses about what Bilbo had in his pocketses was a knife. I guess it could have been a really small sheath knife, but that is not what I took away from it. I can certainly see a Gaffer having a folding knife in the pocket of his weskit.

Here is one of mine:

The technology is super simple. It is a blade (which we know were in ME), wood for the handle and a simple twist collar made out of metal. The collar is a simple two way affair. You twist to keep the blade locked in both the open and closed positions. These blades are available in any number of lengths. The really small knives of this type don't have a locking collar.

The blade pictured above is an Opinel No. 8. The number designation is the blade length in cm. The one shown is approximately 3.25" and is made from Carbon Steel. They also have an excellent Stainless Steel version.

The best part is the price. This one goes for less than $12. They have handles made from more exotic woods which cost more. Sometimes when the wood swells because of temperature/humidity, you have to give it a smart rap. But it is a good knife. I may eventually get a No. 10 since this one is a bit small for my palm but the blade also becomes wider as the length increases.

http://www.amazon.com/Opinel-No8-Carbon ... s=opinel+8

While not necessarily for Rangering, I have an Opinel No.15 Slim for a fillet knife and the Opinel No. 18 Folding Saw for my traditional Bushcraft Kit:

This saw is about the size of a Bahco Laplander. They do have a smaller model available. The blades are replaceable.

Svord is another manufacturer who makes similar knives. But I prefer the Opinel because of the locking collar.

So, what do you say: Would a Ranger have a pocket knife like this in his kit?
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: On the Subject of Pocket Knives

Post by Ursus »

I think that a pocket knife could easily fit in with a rangers kit. Tech wise they've been around since at least the Iron Age.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I can so see Hobbits with tiny little lathe-turned penny knives like the English used to make. :mrgreen:

I don't see why anyone else in the Breeland couldn't have something similar - as Ursus says, folding knives have been around forever. I think the bigger question is does one have pockets wherein to put a pocket knife? :)

There's an interesting early period take on the folding knife - it still requires a sheath, but pivots to present one of two blades: one a little "pen knife," the other for more general use. I'd wondered if it was a scribal tool, but a smith who recreates them thinks it was for woodcarving:
norse-folding-knife-01.jpg
norse-folding-knife-01.jpg (42.21 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
norse-folding-knife-02.jpg
norse-folding-knife-02.jpg (50.89 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
http://warehamforgeblog.blogspot.com/20 ... knife.html

Anyhow, I wonder if a tool built along a similar idea might find it's way into a Ranger's quiver pouch for trimming fletching with the one end and filing/scraping out arrow nocks with the other?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
RikJohnson39
Wayfarer

Post by RikJohnson39 »

http://www.amazon.com/Opinel-No8-Carbon ... s=opinel+8

My daughter took two knives with her to The Gambia while with the Peace Corps.
One was an old Stainless Steel pocket knife from my USAF days in 1970, the other was the one mentioned above.
TSA stole the US knife from her packed luggage and left the cheap one which she carried for 2 years in Africa, It was not the best knife but it did pretty much everything that she needed over there.
I think that these can easily have the handle modified to be more Period.
All that must happen for Evil to triumph is for the Good People to stand by and do nothing!
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

The knife Elleth talked about is similar to the Svord Knife that I mentioned. The Svord doesn't have the projecting end knife--it is more of an unsharpened handle. I still like the Opinels better because of the locking collar.

I can see something like this coming from Lorien:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RN6OZS?psc ... 7AZ9CVC04M
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I carry a small pocket knife in my fire-making belt pouch as a back-up/alternate for my belt knife.

The fixed-blade knife is from R&A and is based off 14th-15th century examples. The folder is from G. G. Godwin and is an 18th century design.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)