LIGHTWEIGHT SHELTER???

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Feredir (hunter)
Dúnadan

LIGHTWEIGHT SHELTER???

Post by Feredir (hunter) »

hi guys, new to the forum!
I'm going on a backpack trip with a friend this late summer up in the Olympic mountains above my home in Washington state, I'm of course going ranger style and i've got most of my gear (waiting on a pouch to come in the mail) but I'm looking for a lightweight shelter or something that could double as one for my trip that is also period, I'm trying really hard to keep my kit as light as possible (under 20pounds) without taking away anything I need (been really hard) but I think I almost have it just need the shelter part, any suggestions are welcomed!!
will post pics soon of my kit and of course my trip!!!
thanks!!!!
I drink coffee and I pretend to know what I am doing...
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: LIGHTWEIGHT SHELTER???

Post by Elleth »

Assuming you're not building brush shelters along the way - which chews up more of the late afternoon that you'd think, and may be illegal on your route - there's not a lot that's period AND durable / protective AND light.
I suspect you'll end up with a light oilskin tarp/groundcloth. Have you seen Greg's "Bedroll writeup?"

http://www.budgetauthenticity.org/range ... 36&start=0
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Feredir (hunter)
Dúnadan

I have now! thanks!
I know some people have used canvas cloaks as shelters, does that work well??
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Canvas is nice and rugged, but it's HEAVY, especially in the amount you'll need for a shelter. Also it won't serve you well as a cloak, as it will get cold and clammy fairly quickly.

I've a linen canvas groundcloth somewhere around here about the size of Greg's oilcloth tarp I can weigh for you this weekend if you'd like an actual number - but I can tell you now it's more than you'll want to carry on your back if you plan to walk light.
Feredir (hunter)
Dúnadan

ok! thank you for the info!! well it does not get to wet in the summer over here in Washington, I could go for under the stars, ive done it before with no problem...
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I found it!

My groundcloth is two pieces of linen canvas pieced to 84" x 78", and weighs 5.25 pounds.
merf-groundcloth.jpg
merf-groundcloth.jpg (122.91 KiB) Viewed 13667 times
(Available from Wm Booth Draper as "Unbleached 14 oz. Coarse Linen" with a stock number of WLG 101)

I also unrolled my bedroll for weights to:
merf-blanketoilcloth.jpg
merf-blanketoilcloth.jpg (80.95 KiB) Viewed 13667 times
The blanket is plain wool, 86" x 58" and weighs 6 pounds
(hand made)

The oilcloth is from Scarlet Scarab, 77"x68", and weighs 2.25 pounds
http://www.scarletscarab.com/oilcloth.htm
(If memory serves, Greg has a friend who also sells it)

In a perfect world I'd replace my oilcloth with a linen one properly finished, but I confess I'm in no hurry. I've also as you can see not bothered to hem the edges. It would be wise to do so to prevent tearing if nothing else, but I've been lazy on that front.

Originally I'd planned to use all three, but in practice the groundcloth just pushes the whole thing to be far too heavy and bulky to carry on foot. At least for me. :)
merf-bedroll-materials.jpg
merf-bedroll-materials.jpg (102.49 KiB) Viewed 13667 times

Does that help at all, I hope?
Feredir (hunter)
Dúnadan

wow! this helps a lot!!!!! thank you!!! nice pics too!!!
ive got a good blanket, a 4ydx62" 100% blackwatch tartan one that I pleat into a great kilt when I go on treks, and that with my wool cloak works quite well down to -10 deg F!

I think I will pm him to see if he does have some oilcloth and if I could buy or trade for some.

THANK YOU!!!!
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

---

I really think that you should look at oilskin. It is lighter than most canvas tarps (unless you can get something like Egyptian cotton). With the Numenoreans being a sea power, I think it can reasonably be argued that oilskin would be around in ME.

Here are some of the lightest that I have found:

http://tentsmiths.com/tent-camp-accesso ... tarps.html

This isn't SilNy or Cuben weight, but it is still pretty good for traditional materials.

Depending on your height, a 7' x 7' would be pushing it. An 8' x 8' would be better if you can afford the weight. I have a 10' x 10', but I don't use it for what you intend to.

You can use the tarp as a bedroll sling as suggested--so you can save the weight of a pack. If you restrict your weapons to a light axe/hawk and a large knife, you can save weight there too. I don't know if you intend to include a staff in your weight calculations.

Some other manufactures use a heavier oilskin and the weight savings of using a pocho/cloak may not be realized. You should check before purchasing.

I would also recommend that you look into an Alpaca Wool Queen sized blanket. They are very light, warm and strong. This one is 80'' x 90", packs small, weighs 3.2 pounds and is good for half the year--maybe even three seasons:

http://www.alpaca4less.com/superfine-al ... ueen-size/

They are very warm. I have a brown one. Eventually, I will get a light grey one. These are perfect for making Elven cloaks.
Feredir (hunter)
Dúnadan

cool! I will defiantly look into it! thanks!!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

$205 for a 9x9? A little out of my price range. Might be well worth the money, but I will stick to my 12 oz painter's tarp. I cut down a 9x12 into a 9x9 (I am 6'5" in stocking feet). I haven't had to try it in serious wet yet, but I am fairly confident of it. And based on the tentsmith site, oilskin will likely not be a good choice for me. I like my fire right in front of my tent on chilly nights.

EMK
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Feredir (hunter)
Dúnadan

I have done that before in not so wet Washington weather :mrgreen: need to buy some more though I think...