Billhooks

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ohtarvarno
Wayfarer

Billhooks

Post by Ohtarvarno »

Looking through the various posts on the site, axes an seaxes are regularly mentioned for use as camp tools and weapons. However, little attention seems to have been given to the billhook. I regularly use one at work and find them much more useful than an axe.

Although not specifically mentioned by Tolkiien (as far as I'm aware), they are historically accurate for the period. As woodsman, rangers would have known of them and it find it hard to believe that billhooks would not have been carried in the wilderness.

More info on billhooks, their history, design and use can be found here

http://billhooks.co.uk

http://billhooks.co.uk/history/billhook ... naissance/

http://billhooks.co.uk/photos-and-other ... llhooks-1/
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Billhooks

Post by Elleth »

Hunh. How fascinating to find those illustrations right after I finished pruning our own vineyard. (a bit late, I know)
Anyhow... to do that job, those things most have either done a number on the vines, or been kept wicked sharp. I'd expect the latter, at least in the pruning part of the blade.

Regarding use in the forests - that is an interesting thought!

I do wonder if the "hatchet and long knife" of American frontiersman vs. the billhook of the English foresters had to do with the less intensely managed (and perhaps more violent?) woodlands than those of medieval Britain?

(edit - I suppose however that one's definition of the state of the woodlands of Britain is different pre- and post-conquest, yes? )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ohtarvarno
Wayfarer

Post by Ohtarvarno »

From personal experience Elleth, and a number of stitches in an elbow (don't ask), it is possible to get a very good edge on these tools!

Billhooks are mainly used for processing woodland products, for crafts and activities such as hedge laying. Most would not be of use for clearing a path through dense shrub cover, however it may be possible to use a Yorkshire billhook for this ( a longer handled, heavier hook) or alternatively a slashing hook. I think that you are correct in suggesting the different needs of the frontiersmen compared to that of the woodsman in the UK will have led to the adoption of the different tools. Likewise, the choice for the ranger will depend upon the terrain in which they are travelling.
Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Le-Loup »

Also carried by military pioneers & called Fascine Knives. However, you have to consider weight & utility. You have to decide which items are best for the work that you do. I carry a trade axe, one could consider carrying an axe & a sword. But in my opinion both of these tools/weapons are of more practicle use to me than carrying a fascine knife/bill hook. But I guess it is a personal choice based on experience.
Keith.

These two were my Father's.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

I have one and love it. Never used it in the woods, but I know it would make a heck of a tool for clearing a camp sight or making a shelter.

Also devastating in combat.

Here's the one I have:
http://www.howlandtools.com/store/p/172 ... andle.html

Mine is 24" overall with the handle.
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.