The utility belt of Otzi the Iceman

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: The utility belt of Otzi the Iceman

Post by Kortoso »

Looks great!

It might even double as a sling, that was my first thought anyway.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Wow! That looks so... authentic! I know that's a little bit of a non-word in this group, but when I saw the picture, my first thought was "Well, of course a Beorning would carry that! What else would one carry?" It just meshes with the rest of your gear so perfectly.

Will you continue to carry additional fire-making gear in your belt pouch and pack, in addition to what you carry in this utility belt (for a total of three bags containing fire-making gear, if I've understood your Wiki write-up correctly), or will you use the pouch that goes over your tunic for something else when worn with this?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Thanks for the compliments, all! This was a fun 'little' project, and possibly the first crowd-suggested (peer-pressured?) one here. ;)

Kortoso: The sling resemblance occurred to me too as I was making it...which is funny, since I got the instructions for the braid on a slinging site!

Taurinor: like Ötzi, since this holds up my innermost garment, it will remain on my person at all times, as my last-resort survival kit. I Do plan on keeping my main striker and flints in my zipper pouch, as well as my dedicated/full fire kit (with a larger half-striker like this one) in my pack.
The only time I plan on swapping/dumping contents is on tunic-less hide-softening days around the homestead, so I can wear this with my 'clout and leggings and still have a place to keep my phone for podcast listening! (I made sure during the design/execution that the top opening was wide enough to hold my phone very snugly)

Elleth: a tiny tinder parfleche is a great idea! Anything more than about 1/2" is too thick, so a flat deer rawhide envelope should slide in just perfectly. Now, something else to design (and decorate?)!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA