Middle-Earth Tool Roll

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Middle-Earth Tool Roll

Post by Greg »

Gosh, it's been over a year. Aren't I a slacker?

Finally filled her up. I'm in the process of making a replacement awl with a turned handle and a narrower point for finer work, and there's supposed to be a second, finer grade sharpening stone but that one just cracked in half so a replacement is forthcoming. Other than that, here she is.
Full.jpg
Full.jpg (231.7 KiB) Viewed 16133 times
From left to right:
Scissors, needle(s), thread winder with four different threads in various colors, materials, and weights, beeswax candle for emergency or writing light and various waxing purposes (including sewing), and stitching awl.
A.jpg
A.jpg (196.22 KiB) Viewed 16133 times
Dunedain star, soon to be upgraded, pinned in place when not openly worn, [missing jasper stone], Arkansas stone, BWT copper oiler full of Salt (Taurinor, I found a safer home for the antler one...it has seasonings in it with my cast iron camp ware).
B.jpg
B.jpg (186.23 KiB) Viewed 16133 times
Bristle pot scrubber, coal tongs for smoking, and my spoon.
C.jpg
C.jpg (181.54 KiB) Viewed 16133 times
If it seems like "not much", you're right. That's the point. Other than this, I have a pot, a cup, a pipe+leaf, blades and bow+arrows, fire kit, blanket+tarp, water bottle, dry goods, blade oil, coins, soap, and clothing. I challenge you (in a friendly way, of course!) to find something I'm missing. Something I can't live without that I've neglected. If there's something big, I'd rather know now! As it stands, this whole shebang rolls up to the length and breadth of my hand, and slips right cozily into my Snapsack.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Nice to see this concept brought to completion! I am a total nerd for anything that condenses a pack. Am I correct in seeing that the body is made of oilcloth with what I’m guessing is walnut dyed linen for the interior?
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

Oilcloth and Natural linen, yes. The first page detailed it a fair bit, but last I looked the pics had died, so that may not be of much help.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Derp, oh yeah that whole read the full post before you comment thing.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

Over-rated.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That tool roll, that's just brilliant :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Awesome!

I imagine you've narrowed it down based on what you actually use, so I bet any ideas we have you can say "nope, not needed it yet." :)

.... but string for lashing things or boot dubbin?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hand-braided hemp cordage is found holding the tool roll closed (though it can be stowed without), as well as two or three additional lengths of the same tied on the blanket roll. All intended for use as shelter tie-downs, but useful for various tasks. There's also a brand new eight foot(!) piece of heavier hand-braided hemp rope (all 4-strand, btw) in a hank in the snapsack.

The thing about dubbin and various forms of waterproofing grease, is that it lasts plenty long enough to not necessarily need to be applied in the field. Good grease, like lanolins, beeswax, tallow, and blends, last for weeks of hard use.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hey Greg - I've been thinking I'd like to give this idea a proper try. Would you mind sharing dimensions and current contents?

.... and is there anything you'd change were you to do it over?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Honestly...I've been carrying it for three years filled just as is and haven't changed a thing. The top flaps are intended to fold in and over the contents to help seal it off. It could probably stand to have some built-in ties to hold it closed, but I haven't stitched anything on...I'm still just tying it closed with a length of hemp cordage I braided that gets used to tie shelter parts together or other such temporary camp stuffs. There is a second honing stone next to the first that's pictured above...one coarser, one fine.

I definitely made the RIGHT call by putting the scissors on the very end; they're wider than the rest of it and wouldn't roll up well. I anticipated this and put them on the end that winds up on the outside of the roll so the little bit of 'lumpy' doesn't mess up the whole roll. If I could bend the handle loops a bit narrower it'd help, but it's never been a problem.

I'll get some dimensions tonight when I get home. *fingers crossed*
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

This is brilliant - I am definitely going to be adding something similar to my kit (and my list of things to sew grows). Question: from what I understand this is completely linen, but what would you think about making the outer roll waterproofed suede leather? I happen to have better access to cheap suede than linen atm.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Turgolanas wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:24 pm Question: from what I understand this is completely linen, but what would you think about making the outer roll waterproofed suede leather? I happen to have better access to cheap suede than linen atm.
I can't see why that wouldn't work, I think the outer roll on Greg's is waxed, suede would just be heaver and harder to sew
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Turgolanas wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:24 pm This is brilliant - I am definitely going to be adding something similar to my kit (and my list of things to sew grows). Question: from what I understand this is completely linen, but what would you think about making the outer roll waterproofed suede leather? I happen to have better access to cheap suede than linen atm.
Its your kit mate, use what you've got available.... As would of been done in Period (any Period)

Remember, uniform equipment is a product of a late industrial culture. I Re-enact Napoleonic and even with Government contracts the kit varied wildly.

Sewing suede is easier with a Glover's needle (otherwise known as a Bayonet needle), it has a short triangular section at the pointed end that cuts its way through the leather (try really hard not to stab yourself, I think they're worse then a regular point.... And they bleed like b-gg--s ).

I've a few favourite bush tools, so I might jump on this band-wagon.
Anyone use a crook knife?
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I think they're worse then a regular point.... And they bleed like b-gg--s
"OW! These things for cutting and punching animal skin keep cutting and punching my skin!"

... the life of leathercrafters throughout all time. :mrgreen:
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:29 pm
I think they're worse then a regular point.... And they bleed like b-gg--s
"OW! These things for cutting and punching animal skin keep cutting and punching my skin!"

... the life of leathercrafters throughout all time. :mrgreen:
I get this :oops: