A remembrance from Forochel : Cedarlore Forge Commission

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

A remembrance from Forochel : Cedarlore Forge Commission

Post by Elleth »

Some may remember the wonderful small foraging seax I received from Ursus during our last Yule gift exchange:
merf-forochel-seax-01.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-01.jpg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 17813 times
As my kit has slowly come together over the last year, it has remained a favorite tool and sturdy companion. Having lost more than a few treasures in the woods however, I wanted a new sheath - something secure enough I'd trust the blade to, but that would not look out of place on a Dunedain of Middle Earth.

I had long thought Urthgard's belt knife sheath solution was very elegant, and at first went down that road:
merf-forochel-seax-thread-02-urthgard-knife.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-thread-02-urthgard-knife.jpg (172.31 KiB) Viewed 17813 times
I spent hours filling my sketchbook with different attempts at creating just the right sheath for a simple rough forged, essentially Saxon-Nordic blade shape using an Arthedanian design language.
merf-forochel-seax-thread-03-design-attempts.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-thread-03-design-attempts.jpg (95.58 KiB) Viewed 17813 times
... and I failed. Nothing fit.
And then came the epiphany...
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: A remembrance from Forochel : Cedarlore Forge Commission

Post by Elleth »

The sheath shouldn't BE of Dunedain design. Let it be what it is. It's a seax of essentially far northwestern Europe- the sheath should match it. And that's when the light went on. I already intended for my persona to have spent some years in Forochel, mirroring my own real life happy years in Alaska. Vaguely Norse-inspired design elements makes perfect sense coming from that region.

And yet as pretty as they are, I didn't want to do a classic norse seax sheath, not for this.I was trying to square another circle when I remembered this piece from Artic Fire a few years back:
merf-forochel-seax-thread-04-arctic-fire-2013-dagger.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-thread-04-arctic-fire-2013-dagger.jpg (170.59 KiB) Viewed 17812 times
.. a smaller knife could handle a scabbard slider, much as a sword could. Excellent start. I took to sketching... perhaps something of bone or antler, simply carved to match the rustic blade..
merf-forochel-seax-thread-05-initial-sketches.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-thread-05-initial-sketches.jpg (93.32 KiB) Viewed 17812 times
I was getting there, but I was already SO covered with unfinished projects. Did I want to learn yet another art, and start another project when I had so many to go? It might be worth calling in help for this one...

.. and that was the answer. Cedarlore forge. Since first being pointed to David DelaGardelle's work, I had loved it. Perhaps not of Numenorean flavor, but the mystic Celtic-y feel always seemed to me to smell of the wilder edain - those untouched by Numenor.
merf-forochel-seax-thread-06-Cedarlore-Forge-Art.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-thread-06-Cedarlore-Forge-Art.jpg (149.01 KiB) Viewed 17812 times
... and while I'd never be able to afford (or find a use for) a sword from Cedarlore, a small token of bone or antler seemed something I might be able to stretch for.

Was he willing?

YES!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I described what I was looking for to David, and asked that it reflect the wildlife I remembered so fondly from my time in north. I sent him pictures of ravens and salmon, of fireweed and otters.

After some long weeks, this is what I received - not only the carved bridge itself, but the incredible working sketches:
merf-forochel-seax-thread-07-Cedarlore-Forge-Antler-Belt-Slider.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-thread-07-Cedarlore-Forge-Antler-Belt-Slider.jpg (197.49 KiB) Viewed 17812 times
merf-forochel-seax-thread-08-Cedarlore-Forge-Design-Sketch.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-thread-08-Cedarlore-Forge-Design-Sketch.jpg (207.34 KiB) Viewed 17812 times
My work is no match for his, but I worked his designs into the leather with knife and fire-heated awl, then fastened the carving to it with waxed hemp cord:
merf-forochel-seax-thread-09-Completed-Sheath.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-thread-09-Completed-Sheath.jpg (232.23 KiB) Viewed 17812 times
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I am indescribably happy with the result. It's not only a beautiful rustic treasure in its own right, it adds a bit of stylistic contrast and personal history to an impression of one who - at one time - wandered far. And it keeps a very trusty friend close to hand.
merf-forochel-seax-thread-10-with-blade.jpg
merf-forochel-seax-thread-10-with-blade.jpg (251.69 KiB) Viewed 17812 times
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Very cool, Elleth!
Good thinking bringing in an outside craftsman. I think that 'stylistic contrast' is one of those overlooked things that really helps deepen an interpretation.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Simply breathtaking! I absolutely love their work - every single thing I see them produce is stunning. This is no exception, and the way you incorporated it into your overall design for the knife sheath is perfect. It really took this beautiful piece to a whole new level.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

What a beautiful marriage of art, design, form and construction! Well done, Elleth, and I love the slider!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Stunning design, and effective tool at that. I absolutely love it.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Congratulations! David is a talented artist in pretty much all he does from what I have seen. I hope to one day be able to own something of his. I keep looking at his drawings and am stunned by how good they are. As others have said, great idea to bring in a piece from someone else to contrast and as you said be a symbol of someone who has seen many miles pass under their feet.
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

Wow that looks really cool.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I forgot to ask, how do you carry this? Tied to your belt?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Lovely bit o' steel, that. :D
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Kortoso - don't Ursus do nice work? :)

Mirimaran - the belt just slides under the keeper:
merf-seax-forochel-on-belt.jpg
merf-seax-forochel-on-belt.jpg (105.61 KiB) Viewed 17433 times
(PS, your Old Took's Night poem is in the newsletter. :) )
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ah ok, I see now, again a lovely piece (and I saw the newsletter, outstanding job on that!)

Ken
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I was having trouble understanding the concept of the "slider" what was it sliding? how did it effect the draw of the blade? I had not really heard the term in regards to a sheath, then when you showed the picture it all made sense! Ah yes, a bridge! very Norse very appropriate! I really like the idea and as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I hope you don't mind my Ringulfazation of the design in one of my next projects! It is a lovely blade, strong, simple yet elegant, no nonsense piece and the decoration you indicated to David was the perfect way to embellish it's simple beauty with something that would contrast and yet not overshadow. Kudos to all three of you for rightly divining the direction in which this piece should go and the way it will be interpreted. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: