Caedmon's knives (Image Heavy)

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Caedmon's knives (Image Heavy)

Post by caedmon »

In expectation of finishing my first fully forged knife, I am posting the pre-modern knives I have made to this point. I put these in hard kit instead of weapons because these are small utility & work knives, not weapons.

There are three, the vertically aligned ones on the left, that I didn't make. But I did rehaft/substantially modify the two darker handled ones.

knives - 2.jpg
knives - 2.jpg (134.2 KiB) Viewed 15608 times
Most are based on extant finds documented in the Museum of London's knives & scabbards. Individual knives have their own posts below.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Caedmon's knives (Image Heavy)

Post by caedmon »

One of my favorites. Not based on any knife in particular, but with a fairly standard 14/15th century drop belly design.

The handle decoration is inspired by a piece in the museum of London, and has the Latin inscription "Non nobis domine" on one side, and "sed tuo da gloriam" on the other side. This is one of the shortest Gregorian chants around, the whole hymn being those seven words. (Not to us Lord, but thy name be glorified)

One side has double bar crosses and the other seven pointed dunedain stars.

The sheath is decorated with vine scrolls and a eight pointed dunedain star, which I felt was Rangerish enough before trying to delve into Numenorean design language.
knives - 3.jpg
knives - 3.jpg (139.78 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
knives - 17.jpg
knives - 17.jpg (124.02 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
Screenshot 2016-11-26 23.08.20.png
Screenshot 2016-11-26 23.08.20.png (63.35 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
Screenshot 2016-11-26 23.07.23.png
Screenshot 2016-11-26 23.07.23.png (46.82 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

This is directly inspired by a piece in the MOL, and adapted to fit the knife I was grinding down. I rather enjoy the stepped back, which is not something I've seen all that often.

The scabbard is the most recent I have done, and uses a Numenorean arc pattern with stylised lotus plants. The raised handle area has a blade of grass, taken from a decorative panel by Tolkien. (The more I look at it, the less Dunedain that feature feels to me. Ah well). The belt cord is done with fingerloop braided linen.

knives - 4.jpg
knives - 4.jpg (140.19 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
knives - 13.jpg
knives - 13.jpg (140.74 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
knives - 16.jpg
knives - 16.jpg (111.99 KiB) Viewed 15606 times

Screenshot 2016-11-26 23.02.20.png
Screenshot 2016-11-26 23.02.20.png (59.84 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

These three are all purpose small knives based off a piece in the Museum of London.

The top one is simply a rehaft of a whittling knife, the other two are cut from the same old Marine Corps chefs knife and ground to shape. The middle one has a Numenorean flower design. I am still working on what I want to do with it it may change.

knives - 6.jpg
knives - 6.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
Screenshot 2016-11-26 23.04.59.png
Screenshot 2016-11-26 23.04.59.png (38.95 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

This is a fun one. My medieval ulu, it was cut out from a circular saw blade and ground down. It's based off a find for which I can't find my documentation right now, but is from either the 14 or 15th century in a northern English town. From the context of the find, it could have been either a form of fish knife or a leather working knife.

I use it for cutting leather, and it works quite well.
knives - 7.jpg
knives - 7.jpg (126.31 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Last one for tonight. Hand forged folding pocket knife by Chris Cushman, handle reshaped and decorated by me. Inspired by several medieval folders, but not based on any in particular. My EDC.

The handle decoration is once again the vine scroll I had settled on for Ranger stuff a few years back.
knives - 11.jpg
knives - 11.jpg (63.99 KiB) Viewed 15605 times
-Jack Horner

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh - those are VERY nice! I didn't know you did this kind of work!

The stepped back on the Numenorean one is interesting: was it originally forged that way, do you think? Or did a softer-iron-to-harder-steel weld give way?

The "ulu" one - how is it to use with no organic handle? Still comfy?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the lines on your "star and hymn" one. I've always enjoyed the poetry of the pointed star working in either context.

The smaller whittling/pen knives are lovely! I may ask if you take commissions someday. :)

PS - I hope Chris is still doing well?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

caedmon wrote:This is a fun one. My medieval ulu, it was cut out from a circular saw blade and ground down. It's based off a find for which I can't find my documentation right now, but is from either the 14 or 15th century in a northern English town. From the context of the find, it could have been either a form of fish knife or a leather working knife.

knives - 7.jpg
Marc Carlson describes a medieval leather working knife like this.
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-ca ... /plwt.html
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Le-Loup »

caedmon wrote:In expectation of finishing my first fully forged knife, I am posting the pre-modern knives I have made to this point. I put these in hard kit instead of weapons because these are small utility & work knives, not weapons.

There are three, the vertically aligned ones on the left, that I didn't make. But I did rehaft/substantially modify the two darker handled ones. Most are based on extant finds documented in the Museum of London's knives & scabbards. Individual knives have their own posts below.
Some great looking knives there, well done. The life of a Ranger/Woodsman/Woods woman would involve more skinning & butchering of game than it would fighting. The most common knife used by woodsmen in the 18th century was a butcher knife. I carry three knives, as others did in that period. A hunting knife, a legging knife, & a friction blade clasp knife.
Thank you for sharing.
Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:Oh - those are VERY nice! I didn't know you did this kind of work!
I don't... Or at least I never intended to. I guess having several pieces with several more unfinished rather belies the fact, eh?

Elleth wrote:The stepped back on the Numenorean one is interesting: was it originally forged that way, do you think? Or did a softer-iron-to-harder-steel weld give way?
I think they were forged that way. but I suppose the back could be worn down over time with sharpening. There are multiple examples in Knives & Scabbards, and I personally think it was aesthetic. Your suggestion is plausible, most of the knives in K&S have a steel edge and wrought iron body, but a significant minority are just wrought iron.
Elleth wrote: The "ulu" one - how is it to use with no organic handle? Still comfy?
The saw blade stock is a bit thin, I've tried wrapping it in a leather thong, but it got unwieldy. I hope to forge another that will be easier to hold.

Elleth wrote: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the lines on your "star and hymn" one. I've always enjoyed the poetry of the pointed star working in either context.

Thanks, I have had fun trying to find ways to do dual duty with period reenactment gear and my Dunedain kit. Not always happy with the results but this one works. Another example is a sporan I made whose front flap is tooled with a Troparion to our Lady of Walsingham that does a good job as a Hymn to Varda.
Elleth wrote: The smaller whittling/pen knives are lovely! I may ask if you take commissions someday. :)
Thank you, it's possible. I'm not really up to commission quality right now.
Elleth wrote: PS - I hope Chris is still doing well?
I haven't personally seen him since summer, when he seemed to be doing well. But he's posted some cryptic stuff on Facebook that have me concerned.
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Kortoso wrote:
caedmon wrote:This is a fun one. My medieval ulu, it was cut out from a circular saw blade and ground down. It's based off a find for which I can't find my documentation right now, but is from either the 14 or 15th century in a northern English town. From the context of the find, it could have been either a form of fish knife or a leather working knife.

knives - 7.jpg
Yes, the Half-moon knife is very similar. I would think it is actually more usefule because it can function as an awl and the handle is better.

I finally found my notes in the piece. Unfortunately the site with the original monograph seems to be defunct. But here's a photo, and what I know.

It was found in an excavation of a former monastery house in York near the Fisher's Gate (?) They seemed to be in the leather business as well. It is ascribed a general date between 1300- 1500.

ulu.jpg
ulu.jpg (21.74 KiB) Viewed 15565 times
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Le-Loup wrote:
Some great looking knives there, well done. The life of a Ranger/Woodsman/Woods woman would involve more skinning & butchering of game than it would fighting. The most common knife used by woodsmen in the 18th century was a butcher knife. I carry three knives, as others did in that period. A hunting knife, a legging knife, & a friction blade clasp knife.
Thank you for sharing.
Keith.
Yeah, I need a big knife for the woods/defense. I've been designing a Baurnweir to act in that capacity. I have the rest of the Marine Corps cooks knife that I cut the whittling knives from reserved for this.
-Jack Horner

Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Le-Loup »

caedmon wrote:
Le-Loup wrote:
Thank you for sharing.
Keith.
Yeah, I need a big knife for the woods/defense. I've been designing a Baurnweir to act in that capacity. I have the rest of the Marine Corps cooks knife that I cut the whittling knives from reserved for this.
Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

caedmon wrote:
Kortoso wrote:

knives - 7.jpg
Yes, the Half-moon knife is very similar. I would think it is actually more usefule because it can function as an awl and the handle is better.

I finally found my notes in the piece. Unfortunately the site with the original monograph seems to be defunct. But here's a photo, and what I know.

It was found in an excavation of a former monastery house in York near the Fisher's Gate (?) They seemed to be in the leather business as well. It is ascribed a general date between 1300- 1500.
That would be Fishergate. It's a district of York, U.K.
I'm betting you could find it here. The York archaeology publications are a gold mine of information.
http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/resour ... ascicules/

Glorious, knives, by the way. :wink:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.