New Sheath for my Bushcraft knife

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

New Sheath for my Bushcraft knife

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

A couple of months ago, I purchased an inexpensive bushcraft knife (see review here: http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... =29&t=3542 ) I love the knife but not the sheath, so I thought to do something a bit more aligned to what I'd carry with my kit. So, seaching the interwebs I found this excellent tutorial ( http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=133208 ) and thought to give it a try. I first made the wood sheath liner, two pieces of wood, poplar, which I carved to fit and then glued. I then hollowed the end so that it would drain, if necessary. I am so happy with it that I will always do this for now on. Then I sealed the wood with beeswax and coated the interior with oil.

Then I wetformed the leather over the liner and sewed. Still getting that part right lol But I think it turned out ok, I made the same mistakes he did (measuring is critical!) so make sure you follow the directions exactly. As it dried, I took a paintbrush handle and smoothed the leather and made it conform to the curves and worked the throat until it it had that characteristic lip. Then I dyed with saddle tan, and then a medium brown, so that the colors would blend. I puched in a couple of holes so that I could run cord through to act as another means of hanging, which I need to cut to size.

To hang it, I punched a hole after cutting down the excess and then put a brass ring through it, which I chattered a little in the process. I then made a hanger, and sewed it over the ring, and using a purchased screw rivet, fitted it so that the loop would easily slide and clasp under a belt. Then I cut down some brass nails and made a pattern and lightly hammered them in. All in all a fun project, questions and comments welcome!

"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: New Sheath for my Bushcraft knife

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice job.
Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Le-Loup »

Excellent work, well done!
Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that is nice - I like the nail effect. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Turned out great, Ken!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Excellent craftsmanship Ranger!
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.