Dwarven Tinderbox

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Dwarven Tinderbox

Post by Ursus »

Wow that is sleek! I can't believe nobody has asked this, but where'd you find that gem?
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Udwin wrote:I figure I'm a little behind-the-times, fashion-wise. ; )
Story of my life.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I'd forgotten about Hobbits and matches! Hrmph.
Well, it's there in the text, little sense as it makes. One must roll with the world I guess. :)
... and preferring tinderboxes for longer treks makes absolute sense! I wonder if that's why such an obviously useful technology as matches didn't seemingly percolate out into the wider world?

Ursus - he mentions it here -
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... 598#p38723

Also DOH! I can't believe I didn't see that surcote you were teasing there Greg! Derp!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:Also DOH! I can't believe I didn't see that surcote you were teasing there Greg! Derp!
Easter eggs in every post, if I can manage it!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Finally, somewhere to put it. Putting those lunch breaks to good use!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that's nice...

oilcloth for weather resistance I take it?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Correct. No sense getting my tinder all wet!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I like that :wink: I can't believe I never seen that post before, maybe I will get something similar some time.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:You're right, we have nothing specifically mentioned for men. Matches are only mentioned in a Hobbit context, and then in that one description where Dwarves are said to eschew matches (even now, in the 7th age), so it's possible. However, looking at the rest of Men's cultural and technological advances vs. the tendency for Hobbits to fit into 18th century analogues, I think it's our safest bet. Tolkien showed a group of 13 dwarves, a hobbit, and a wizard with only three ways to make fire: two tinderboxes and magic, so the realistic concept of dividing up necessary gear between the group is shown, at least. We could then make a very broad assumption that the Dwarf, Gimli, would have been the most likely candidate to carry a tinderbox within the Fellowship of the Ring, but then we'd be down to 100% speculation. Aragorn, being considered the greatest traveler of their time, I'm sure could have made a fire with whatever was handy and some work...but surely an experienced traveler knew how to pack well, too. Having nothing else to go on, flint and steel fit for me.
Likely, with flint and steel available, just about anyone over the age of about six or so in Middle-earth would have been able to start a fire. It would be something they did daily. I lived in a house built in the 1840s, and it was heated by a wood stove. In the cold months, if no one got up in the middle of the night to throw more wood in the stove, the first thing the first person up in the morning would do was to start a new fire (using matches, of course). As a schoolgirl in Beijing in the late '70s/early '80s, my wife used to like to rush to school in the winter so that she could throw the coal in the classroom stove and start the fire so that the room would be warm by the time classes started. And when I lived in South America in high school, I routinely saw children of elementary school age starting fires for the frequent cookouts that characterize Paraguayan cuisine.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Taurinor wrote: "Striking of matches" suggests to me that Bilbo is carrying friction matches instead of spunks or the like, which I thought was interesting, since friction matches are an early to mid-19th century technology, which is a little later than what I usually picture as Hobbit tech.

I'm wondering if they're limited to Hobbits because, perhaps, they are invention of Saruman (think of Helm's Deep's wall) and it was a way for him to generate money in the Shire in order to buy goods such as pipeweed....
Udwin wrote: So it seems the Travelers packed their own tinder-boxes, and packed for redundancy! I would assume these were dwarvish in origin.
So we know Hobbits had matches, but Frodo and company chose to bring tinder-boxes instead - maybe because they knew matches might run out, but more tinder could be prepared on the road?
Makes sense. When I used to do a lot of back country solo camping, I'd bring a flashlight or two with new batteries, but I'd also bring a small lantern with candles, and both a lighter and matches.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Greg wrote:Finally, somewhere to put it. Putting those lunch breaks to good use!
The closure mechanism is very interesting. Reminds me of some really old military surplus items from overseas.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I based the rolled top on drybags I've used in the past for canoe tripping, but rolling up a waterproof fabric isn't a super modern concept, you're right.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I think it's an ingenious application for those toggles!

Mostly though, now I'm wondering what all that linen canvas is teasing. :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'll be nice this time...That is for a semi-sideless surcote for my 5y-o daughter I've started cutting out since taking that pic. Gotta keep a sewing project in my lunch box to work on at the job site every day.