The Fire-Bag.

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

The Fire-Bag.

Post by Le-Loup »

“Dwarves can make a fire almost anywhere out of almost anything, wind or no wind; but they could not do it that night, not even Oin & Gloin, who were especially good at it”.
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

My fire-bag is a greased leather bag in which I keep my tinderbox & a beeswax candle stub. The top of this bag rolls down which seals the bag & makes it waterproof. I carry my fire-bag in my belt pouch, & my fire steel is tied off to the buckle on my belt pouch to guard against losing it. The steel is carried in the belt pouch.

Fire-Bag.
Belt Pouch.
Open Tinderbox with charred plant tinder & piece of flint.
My fire steel.
Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: The Fire-Bag.

Post by Mirimaran »

Thanks for sharing, Keith! I like your bag, and I would have never thought of tying off the firesteel like that!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Mirimaran wrote:Thanks for sharing, Keith! I like your bag, and I would have never thought of tying off the firesteel like that!

Ken
It makes it easier when I am making fire Ken, I can strike sparks onto the tinder in the tinderbox & then simply drop the steel & get on with making fire. No chance of losing the steel.
Thank you for taking the time to comment Ken, appreciated.
Regards, Keith.
Robert Frost.

Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

It makes perfect sense. Many firesteels have a sort of "tail" that is not of much use besides tying it to something. And it's often dark when you make fire.

(None of us has ever dropped pieces of essential equipment in the forest at night...) :mrgreen:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Kortoso wrote:It makes perfect sense. Many firesteels have a sort of "tail" that is not of much use besides tying it to something. And it's often dark when you make fire.

(None of us has ever dropped pieces of essential equipment in the forest at night...) :mrgreen:
Well I can not claim that this method or idea is backed up with any historical documentation, I decided to do this based on my experience.

I have decided to leave this forum Kortoso, on the whole my posts are generally ignored, even when they are in response to questions asked. I don't know why, I can only put it down to not being "one of the group". Many thanks for your replies, they have been very much appreciated & the only reason I have stayed so long.
Wishing you all the best.
Take care out there.
Regards, Keith.
Robert Frost.

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Keith, just because we don't always reply doesn't mean we don't read or appreciate your input. Your posts are very informative and I look forward to reading them.

I do hope you reconsider.

Pete
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Very interesting setup. It's a fair bit different than mine; I always used what you describe on your channel as the "Joseph" method of flint-and-steel firestarting. In your "no-charcloth" video, I think I might be able to see why--I can't come close to getting the shower of sparks you do, despite using the same type of steel (a re-worked file). I suspect it's because I use quartz instead of flint. The geology around here is frustratingly devoid of flint...does anyone know if obsidian works?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Keith, I seriously doubt anyone ignores your posts. You obviously have experience to back up what you say; that counts for a lot.

Something to think about, though...

Remember, this is a small community. We currently have 449 total registered members, and a tiny fraction of those have ever posted anything...I'd say we have less than 50 regular attending members that are active in our discussions. You've made a habit of bringing to light the informative videos and blog posts you've made on the subject of fire-making, but since we have so few active members, it's really nothing we haven't all already seen and discussed. After seeing them show up half a dozen times, there's really nothing more for us to say in their regard, and there's so much more to this community than fire-making.

You wouldn't have found this forum five years and a bit ago (unless I'm very mistaken) if you didn't have an interest in Tolkien's works. I'd like to suggest that you try picking up a book or two of his, and read it like a kid again instead of reading it like a re-enactor. Remember what got us all here in the first place, and then decide if our Tolkien-based, historically-minded community is right for you.

All the best,

-Greg
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Keith, I hope that you will reconsider as well.

I've enjoyed your posts and you obviously have plenty of "dirt time."

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I, for one, enjoy your posts and have benefited from your experience, which you have been kind enough to share with us. I work alot, and it is hard for me to post sometimes on the forum as my time is limited, but regardless you and your advice are more than appreciated; you have a place among us as an elder, if you will. As Greg said, we have many members but a core group who post and share, and I bet if we did a poll many of us would have posts that were viewed many times, but not commented upon. It doesn't mean that they weren't read or appreciated, perhaps some like myself have time restraints, or perhaps just don't know what or how to say something.

I think I invited you the forum myself, as I look for folks that I think would add to the group, by experience and by participation, both of which you have more than excelled in, Keith. I don't know if our group is your cup of tea, you live the life, as it were, that many of us dream about, Keith, but I do hope you reconsider. Of all the voices we have around the campfire (which many of us know how to light now, thanks to you) I daresay yours would be missed.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Keith, I will miss your insight. :(
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.