Hey Udwin, what's with the oversized Sushi mat?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Hey Udwin, what's with the oversized Sushi mat?

Post by caedmon »

Loving the new instagram page. but, Udwin, what's that sushi mat thing?

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Hey Udwin, what's with the oversized Sushi mat?

Post by Udwin »

Hahah! That's my cattail sleeping pad rolled up!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh yeah! I meant to put that in the description. Hang on a tick and I'll go edit that!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Udwin wrote:Hahah! That's my cattail sleeping pad rolled up!

Darn, I was getting hungry.

That looks right comfy. I wish we had more reeds available up here.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

It's for making tako makizushi out of The Watcher in the Water.

Seems like you've had that thing for a while; how do you like it? What does it weigh?
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

SierraStrider wrote:Seems like you've had that thing for a while; how do you like it? What does it weigh?
Yeah, I made it back a couple summers ago. It's held up surprisingly well considering what it is. If I were to make another one, I'd use stronger cord and maybe make it a few inches narrower. It's about 24" wide by ~5' or so. Only weighs I think 2 pounds which is nice. I made it mostly because my blanket is too thin, and my woods face northeast, and so the leaves are usually damp (not the best for making sleeping nests). This seemed the best solution to keep me off the ground with some insulation under me.
I talked to a native fellow last fall who told me that his people would use something similar, only they made theirs from the round stalk of the cattail, instead of the leaves like I did. Both have the same kind of plant fluffy insulation inside, so I don't think it would really make much of a difference. If I had a good stand of Tule rushes near me, I'd use those in a heartbeat, since they're both round and plentiful (it's way easier to gather cattail leaves in bulk, compared to the stalks).
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA