Dunedain snapsack

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Dunedain snapsack

Post by Kortoso »

Hey, everyone, I was watching the old silent vampire movie, Nosferatu, and I was watching the hero packing his bag for a trip.
He's using some sort of snapsack!
Now the movie was made in Germany in 1922 and intends to illustrate events occurring in 1838. The costumes look pretty accurate as far as I can tell. Maybe this is indeed what travelers used in those days.
Having a little trouble embedding the Youtube URL her at the moment, so here is the link:
https://youtu.be/oAX2WBzCh5Y?t=9m19s
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Neat find Kortoso!
it looks to me rather like a market wallet, but of a more boxy construction than the usual "envelope" style that seems to have entered 18th c. reenacting over the last decade. How curious!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

ah ah ah!!!! Breakthrough!

Regarding this:
Taurinor - I just had a bit of an "a-ha" moment related to the shepherd's budget, especially the net-looking thing.
...an an unrelated search for more Celtic bronze age info, I ran across this on Roman Army Talk that I think quite likely has the real answer:
... recently lived for a while in a 3rd world land and there the sales women and man on the markets simply wrap all their stuff into blankets and put around this a netlike thing made of cord, like the small ones you see the roman reenactors carrying their water bags or bottles in ...
https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/showt ... ?tid=10748

This makes a *lot* of sense to me: a bundle of things wrapped in a cloth, then placed in a "game bag" of sorts on the belt.
It's a easy/cheap solution for a culture where material goods can be expensive - whatcha think?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Elleth wrote:ah ah ah!!!! Breakthrough!
... recently lived for a while in a 3rd world land and there the sales women and man on the markets simply wrap all their stuff into blankets and put around this a netlike thing made of cord, like the small ones you see the roman reenactors carrying their water bags or bottles in ...
https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/showt ... ?tid=10748

This makes a *lot* of sense to me: a bundle of things wrapped in a cloth, then placed in a "game bag" of sorts on the belt.
It's a easy/cheap solution for a culture where material goods can be expensive - whatcha think?
To make sure I'm picturing this right, something along the lines of Iodo's stuff-net here?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote: ... recently lived for a while in a 3rd world land and there the sales women and man on the markets simply wrap all their stuff into blankets and put around this a netlike thing made of cord, like the small ones you see the roman reenactors carrying their water bags or bottles in ...
This is interesting, I stumbled across a similar solution using my "stuff net" that Cimrandir linked above, If I have small things that could get out of the holes I wrap the continence in a scrap of cloth before I put it inside, if I fold the cloth over at both ends and because the net has a lot of friction and can be tied tightly the fabric never comes untied and it's actually a very secure way to carry things
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.