Finally finished - Quiver of Eriador!

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Finally finished - Quiver of Eriador!

Post by Greg »

Makes sense to me!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
HuerTa
Wanderer

Post by HuerTa »

I really love this quiver! I'd like to incorporate an arrow sock as well, thanks for the inspiration :)
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Beautiful work! :)

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

per request, dimensions:

quiver main body piece is:27.5" tall, 14 1/8" wide at top, 9 1/2" at bottom. About 6" from the top of the quiver to widest point.

spine piece is 27.5" long, 5" wide at widest part of arc, the spine itself tapers from 2.5" to 1.75" (for 1.25" strap), the foot is ~4.25" across. Slits (later cut open into open squares) for the lacing belt are ~1.75" apart. First slit is about 3 1/2" from top. 

foot is: ~5.5" tall,  5/8" at widest point, 5 1/4" at narrowest point, ~5 3/8" at top. bottom of toe about 1 1/2" from widest point, center dips about 3/8" from center line

spacer / welt for foot is 2 5/8" across the inside, ~4 1/8" across at the top to ~5" at widest. ~5" tall, widest part ~1,5" up from bottom. 

edit - I commented elsewhere about how I couldn't remember why I cut an extra spine piece - looking at all these pieces I remember now: I was experimenting between using slits for that strapping on the back, or cutting out squares. I decided I like the cut-out-squares solution better as the strapping doesn't stand stand out so much, especially if there aren't any tie-down straps going through it.

THAT SAID... I think if I were starting from scratch and doing it over, I'd ditch the inset strap entirely, and just use pass-throughs between the spine and the body, kinda like the spine on my snapsacks. That, or just cut a few lengthwise slits in the spine and run any accessory straps through those. The original model is cool, but the strapping design reads a little modern army-style, and it's just an extra complication that I don't think would have been done in period. THAT SAID I do quite like the bit of extra rigidity you get at top at along the body from the spine itself, so I would keep that.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.