Anyone know of a file maker?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Anyone know of a file maker?

Post by Elleth »

.. I've been looking around and see TONS of knife makers, but I'm trying to find someone who could turn out a small traditionally cut file for touching up hatchets and arrowheads. Does anyone know of someone who does such work?

For what it's worth, I know of Daegrad in the UK, love much of his stuff, but his files are too coarse for what I'm looking for - and the last time I asked if he did custom work he said "no, just what's on the shelf." So that's sadly a no go.

Any other ideas?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Anyone know of a file maker?

Post by Elwindil »

https://www.hoffmanblacksmithing.com/ap ... o9p9kwgi7q it's not a file, but from what I've seen of Liam's work, he knows his axes and this is small and compact as a sharpening stone, so it might be an option.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Just get one of these. Good enough for Viggo. *Don't hit me*

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/made-solid- ... ne/4497177
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

https://www.ragweedforge.com/SharpeningCatalog.html
In Viking times small whetstones were often worn as pendants. These are reproductions of whetstone pendants found in Viking Age York. Similar pendants have been found in Kalåstad, Norway, Birka, and Gotland. They are cut from Jasper, and seem about midway between hard white and hard black Arkansas stones in action. That means they are very fine, and suitable for the honing a final edge rather than basic sharpening. They vary in color and size, but are mostly muted browns, greys, reds and occasionally greens, and about 3" tall, 11/16" wide, and 1/4" thick. Each comes with a string and descriptive packaging. I use them dry, and clean off the clogging residue as often as necessary with water. Imported from Sweden, the price is $15.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

So snark & helpful suggestions aside, I assume you want a file because you want to do rough work that isn't practical with a stone?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Yes, exactly. Preferably with a smooth back flat. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.