New piece of archery kit - thank you Taurinor!

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

New piece of archery kit - thank you Taurinor!

Post by Elleth »

I'd long admired Urthgard's gauntlets, and had been planning for quite some time to make a set similar to them. When it came down to it though, I opted to do a simpler bracer pattern, where the leather does not extend up over the hand. Regardless of the body though, after seeing Taurinor's wonderful work on the contest pouch and Greg's belt, I simply had to ask him to do the carving work on the armguard plate. :)

Taurinor came through brilliantly, of course:
merf-bracers-taurinor.jpg
merf-bracers-taurinor.jpg (75.01 KiB) Viewed 12700 times

Materials:
* Walnut dyed / suntanned goathide bodies finished with plain old dubbin.

* Taurinor's armguard plate in (7oz I think?) cowhide, finished with wax.
(the rough finish is entirely my hurried work: I let impatience to get sewing get the better of me. Still- it works as is, and I can clean it up in time )

* Beeswaxed linen cord.

I find the bracers as they are now quite a pain to adjust, so I believe I'll be modifying either the cordage or the channel in the near future.
I also kind of wish I'd kept Urthgard's positioning of the fastening - on the back of the arm rather than the bottom... but I've hide enough to remake the bodies at some point if that becomes an issue. I don't expect it will be.

One more piece down - getting close to done! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Re: New piece of archery kit - thank you Taurinor!

Post by Harper »

Fine work, Taurinor.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Ooo, those came together very nicely! I'm glad the plate took to the wax well; the raw leather had a sort of reddish tint to it, so I was hoping it would take on that reddish-tan sort of color. It should sun-tan pleasantly as you use it, too. And yes, it was about 7 oz (according to the coin thickness measuring method).

I'm curious about the lacing - it's threaded through channels instead of holes? Are the channels just very "grabby" on the string, or is something else making them hard to adjust?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Scarxik
Wanderer

Post by Scarxik »

Looks great! Looking forward to see the whole kit together at last :)

Me and my leatherworker currently working on the war bracers like boromir has in LOTR movie trilogy but with one designed to be used in archery (flat forearm for the string) because the original is not suitable for using with a bow because of a buckles in the forearm. After we are done I will show you guys :D
“Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread through shadows to the edge of night,
until the stars are all alight.” JRR Tolkien
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I'm curious about the lacing - it's threaded through channels instead of holes? Are the channels just very "grabby" on the string, or is something else making them hard to adjust?
Yes - through channels. Pretty much everything that could be a problem is there: the channels are fairly thin for that cordage, the holes are a little too small, and the waxed linen is still kind of sticky. The bracers work just fine though: I wore them out target shooting yesterday, and all went swimmingly. :)
Me and my leatherworker currently working on the war bracers like boromir has in LOTR movie trilogy but with one designed to be used in archery (flat forearm for the string) because the original is not suitable for using with a bow because of a buckles in the forearm. After we are done I will show you guys
That sounds cool! I can't wait to see!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Came together very nicely, you two. Taurinor, your tooling is getting around!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

It's amazing how a little bit of embellishment can really take a piece from 'gear' to 'artifact'! Excellent work!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA