Ranger quiver Mark I. (Pics included)

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Scarxik
Wanderer

Ranger quiver Mark I. (Pics included)

Post by Scarxik »

Most of you know I have my quiver made cople of months ago.. Its a great quiver sturdy as hell well made, beautiful color etc..

but its a realy big BUT in all of this. The quiver doesnt feel right on my back. Quiver is heavily inspired by the uthgard and elleth quivers.

Straps on mine quiver was inspired by elleth quiver and I think it has one design flaw I didnt realize until I run and walk with the quiver all day long ...

originaly we use big metal rings to hold the strap in place but it was a disaster quiver was moving and bouncing around my back like crazy.. when I just stand and shoot it was not so big deal but when you start moving... you all know what im talking about..arrows doesnt stay in the same spot so I cannot shoot quickly because I need to look at my back first. Strap cutting my neck was just another think...

After that we use smaller Metal D rings and I was finaly thinking this is it we can call it a day but after I get my cloack and gear on me it was the same all over again..

i just come back from my first traditional archery tournament and I was in full gear and I compleately fail on one target only because my arrows werent were they need to be...

So I decided to make a new quiver with a new remaded straps. I dont want to make compleately new design... simply because I allways wanted to have movie ithilien ranger quiver.

So after making paper pattern, lots of measuring, lot of looking two towers and rotk I start working.

And here is finall results... I make couple of mistakes here and there but mostly on the back site but its not visible so I leave them there :D

I must say Im pretty happy with the result sits nice on the back. Arrows are lover than my old quiver so its give my a lover silloute. And work well with the cloack.

if you read all of it you have my thumbs up and finaly look at the pictures.
Attachments
38101DF4-E6FF-4374-AF1B-5C9334D4DDEC.jpeg
38101DF4-E6FF-4374-AF1B-5C9334D4DDEC.jpeg (205.76 KiB) Viewed 16024 times
055B3318-3744-4E42-8748-9996F1BA5102.jpeg
055B3318-3744-4E42-8748-9996F1BA5102.jpeg (220.87 KiB) Viewed 16024 times
37B918F4-BAF9-4D39-A88F-901B0BCA2CBC.jpeg
37B918F4-BAF9-4D39-A88F-901B0BCA2CBC.jpeg (230.33 KiB) Viewed 16024 times
02873EF8-80B8-4ED6-ABCB-970B0B3E83E8.jpeg
02873EF8-80B8-4ED6-ABCB-970B0B3E83E8.jpeg (197.24 KiB) Viewed 16024 times
98295561-C4A4-4F8D-9E90-49B04B73AC85.jpeg
98295561-C4A4-4F8D-9E90-49B04B73AC85.jpeg (121.73 KiB) Viewed 16024 times
A033A332-D126-4B8A-8BB7-03AA4265BCFF.jpeg
A033A332-D126-4B8A-8BB7-03AA4265BCFF.jpeg (105.6 KiB) Viewed 16024 times
“Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread through shadows to the edge of night,
until the stars are all alight.” JRR Tolkien
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Ranger quiver Mark I. (Pics included)

Post by Iodo »

Very nice, well made.
Would you mind telling me how you made the arrow bag/sock and what fabric you used
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Scarxik
Wanderer

Post by Scarxik »

Iodo wrote:Very nice, well made.
Would you mind telling me how you made the arrow bag/sock and what fabric you used
Thanks no problem, I use heavy linen fabric I bought in store. Fabric was already brown so I don't need to color it. I saw it together with sewing machine and reinforced it with hand stitch along the edges. I cut a small long peace of leather dye it brown punch some holes and sew it to the top of the quiver for much harder edge on the sock. than wave some leather cordage thru the holes and woala sock done :)

some tips

- when you sew leather to the top of the sock make sure sew it about 1-1,5 cm below the end of the sock and use waxed thread with saddle stich.. its make strong bond with no fabric rips. :)

- I use vaseline and bees was on the leather top do not hesitate to soft it up in hands because when you use some thick scrap leather you need to soften it in hands.

- I also waxed the sock itself than I use some commercial impregnation spray.
“Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread through shadows to the edge of night,
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thankyou very much for the information, when I have time I will give it a go, I may use waxed cotton fabric to make it waterproof
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very cool!

I'm curious about your strap attachment now: can we see what the back of your quiver looks like?

I hear what you're saying about arrows shifting: for the time being I've been compensating by using my bow hand to check against the quiver foot as I reach back, and adjust as necessary. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a decent adaption. Plus tightening the strap more of course.

That said, once I finish "v 1.0" of the rest of my stuff I may tackle the quiver again, but change the strap arrangement to more closely mimic Urthgard's original. From what Greg's given me to understand, having the strap come in at mid-back from the side is more stable than a simple top-to-bottom shoulder strap.

I've got all the pieces, I just need to find time (ha!!) to actually sew them together.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Scarxik
Wanderer

Post by Scarxik »

Elleth wrote:Very cool!

I'm curious about your strap attachment now: can we see what the back of your quiver looks like?

I hear what you're saying about arrows shifting: for the time being I've been compensating by using my bow hand to check against the quiver foot as I reach back, and adjust as necessary. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a decent adaption. Plus tightening the strap more of course.

That said, once I finish "v 1.0" of the rest of my stuff I may tackle the quiver again, but change the strap arrangement to more closely mimic Urthgard's original. From what Greg's given me to understand, having the strap come in at mid-back from the side is more stable than a simple top-to-bottom shoulder strap.

I've got all the pieces, I just need to find time (ha!!) to actually sew them together.
For me biggest problem was using quiver with the cloack because cloack just push my quiver to low...I have the new strap configuration like greg tell you. as you can see on the pic. Urthgard solution was best I think but for my old quiver it wasn't possible to make it that way. So decided to make a new.
IMG_5202.JPG
IMG_5202.JPG (193.26 KiB) Viewed 16008 times
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

How many times do I have to say it before...

Sooo kidding. Everyone's got a preference, and you've simply discovered that yours matches mine. Glad it's working for you...very nicely made!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Scarxik
Wanderer

Post by Scarxik »

UPDATE :evil:

After today shooting seasion I must admit my straps are not so good as I was thinking...first off all I dont need to move and my quiver slide down to the middle of my back and I draw my arrows from Behind the bowarm shoulder.. not good!

But this strap configuration has one advantage I can use it like a hip quiver :D

Anyway I need to replace the bottom strap littlebit down because this is terible.

One advice for all try measure your strap before you stich it to the quiver I just eye ball it and its disaster but I realy dont know hot to find good position :( any help? Greg? :D
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I found a simple solution to my quiver sliding off my shoulder.
A narrow leather strap or cord secured the top of the quiver, and passed directly to my waist belt below and tied in a slip-knot.
This did the trick for me.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

With the strap set up how you have it, the best reciommendation I can think of would be adding another small strap from the right side of the quiver, under your arm, to your strap on your chest. That'd lock it in place.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.