Linen oilcloth tarp shelter

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Linen oilcloth tarp shelter

Post by Elleth »

Well, it's finally time to show off a couple pieces I've been working on! :mrgreen:

I've been working on this piece off and on all year, and it's finally in use. It's a couple lengths of utility-grade linen sewn together into about a 7' square. I them hemmed the whole thing up, added a number of reinforced eyelets around the edges, gave it a couple walnut baths, then used the standard linseed oil and spirits oilcloth recipe. I made certain to rotate it at least a couple times a day while drying, so I didn't have the sodden edge problem I encountered on my first attempt.

I'm experimenting with some wood toggles and iron skewers as set-up aids - so far they're working alright, though I need to practice setting the whole thing up a lot more.
So far so good. :)
merf-handsewn-linen-oilcloth-shelter-tarp.jpg
merf-handsewn-linen-oilcloth-shelter-tarp.jpg (110.99 KiB) Viewed 9362 times
I've a couple more pieces to finish before I can do a full on demo like Taurinor and Ursus and Urthgard and all... but it's coming soon at this rate. :mrgreen:
merf-dunedain-travelling-kit.jpg
merf-dunedain-travelling-kit.jpg (90.28 KiB) Viewed 9362 times
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Linen oilcloth tarp shelter

Post by Taurinor »

WOW! Very nice! I'm looking forward to a full write-up!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Impressive setup :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

How much did the tarp wind up weighing? Looking pretty slick.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Another impressive piece of work, Elleth.

Let me just throw this out there: a lot of people prefer tabs as opposed to grommets or eyelets on thier tarps. I doubt that you will be out in that kind of weather, but the tabs are supposed to be stronger and less likely to tear the tarp proper. They are also entirely consistent with ME.

If you are going to use this setup, consider spraying the ground cloth (almost everything really) with Pemerethin. Those Mordor-spawned ticks are still active until there is an established freeze.