Iodo's Dwarf Kit - Progress and Updates

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Dwarvish Axe

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:FWIW, the "-ite" suffix linguistically suggests a relatively late scientific lexicon. If you want to come up with a name for stainless that sounds "in period" I'd suggest looking through some late 19th c. chemist and / or machinist texts. At the time they were still often procuring materials under pre-industrial names, which gives them a weird quality.

That's too early to help with stainless of course, but it'll give you a feel to shoot for.

Personally, I'd just call it steel without getting more specific. :)
I did have a quick look, texts of that nature seem to be exstreamly difficult to find. I did think someone would say something like this, espeshaly as the -ite suffix is a mineralogy term and almost always used to discribe a type of rock anyway :P I was just playing with words and making stuff up really. I had the piece of metal in my hand and the term 'gray ionite' just seemed to suit it well :lol:

Anyway, on a different note, for Christmas I received the piece of leather to startmakeing my vambraces(along with some other cool stuff), since I have the paturn designed I will get started soon.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm excited to see the results! Thanks for keeping us updated on your kit progress! You're putting a lot of thought into it, and it has been exceedingly fun to watch!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Here's the left vambraces drying in my wet forming jig:
IMG_20171227_141242.JPG
IMG_20171227_141242.JPG (125.75 KiB) Viewed 15591 times
Progress is good so far :mrgreen:

I don't suppose it would be to much to ask if an administrator could move the vambraces stuff into a different thread? This one is getting a bit long and most of the stuff in it isn't related to the title, sorry that's my fault for neglecting to start a new one :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is going GREAT - and I have to say, I'm bowled over at your progress! You're tearing through stuff at an amazing rate!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

And doing an absolutely Dwarven job of it I must say! I love your leatherwork! can't wait to see it finished. A little snippet about your jig would also be interesting. I see a tutorial on the horizon!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Iodo wrote:I don't suppose it would be to much to ask if an administrator could move the vambraces stuff into a different thread? This one is getting a bit long and most of the stuff in it isn't related to the title, sorry that's my fault for neglecting to start a new one :lol:
There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Iodo's Dwarf Kit - Progress and Updates

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote:
Iodo wrote:I don't suppose it would be to much to ask if an administrator could move the vambraces stuff into a different thread? This one is getting a bit long and most of the stuff in it isn't related to the title, sorry that's my fault for neglecting to start a new one :lol:
There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Rename the thread, great idea :mrgreen:
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Ringulf wrote:And doing an absolutely Dwarven job of it I must say! I love your leatherwork! can't wait to see it finished. A little snippet about your jig would also be interesting. I see a tutorial on the horizon!
The jig is by no means a feat of carpentry but it does the job, now the leatherwork is dry and I can take it out to take photos, here's how it works:

First I cut the paturn from leather and punch the rivet holes
IMG_20171228_101737.jpg
IMG_20171228_101737.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 15543 times
Second I put the nails in the piece of wood to match the rivet hold each side
IMG_20171228_102108.jpg
IMG_20171228_102108.jpg (57.17 KiB) Viewed 15543 times
The piece that goes through the middle then only needs to be tight enough to hold the leather on the nails and not to clamp it, this means there's plenty of airflow for it to dry, the cardboard is only there to prevent the sharp edges of the wood from marking the leather.
IMG_20171228_102129.jpg
IMG_20171228_102129.jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 15543 times
Then when the leather is wet and ready to form I rap it round into a circle and push both sides onto the nails, then thread the cardboard and wood through and clamp it, with the bolts, through to the piece of aluminium on the back
IMG_20171228_101804.jpg
IMG_20171228_101804.jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 15543 times
Hope this answers any questions :P
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Vambrace Update:
I have cut the metal pieces to size this evening, which went almost to plan (will elaborate when I post the finished item), unfortunately further progress will have to wait until I'm back at work next week and can finish the metalwork, there's a limit to what can be achieved in a bedroom :lol:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice Ranger Iodo! there is certainly a roaring fire in your hearth I can feel the warmth radiating all the way across the Sundering Sea! I can't wait to see your next step, what metal are you adding?
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is an impressive setup.

You're upholding the dwarves' reputation for craftsmanship Iodo. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Ringulf wrote:Very nice Ranger Iodo! there is certainly a roaring fire in your hearth I can feel the warmth radiating all the way across the Sundering Sea! I can't wait to see your next step, what metal are you adding?
Do you mean what type of metal, or what shape? If the first, its still stainless. If the second then I'm keeping that a surprise for when I finish the project, sorry.
Elleth wrote:That is an impressive setup.

You're upholding the dwarves' reputation for craftsmanship Iodo. :)
Thankyou all for your encouraging words :mrgreen: