Iodo's Dwarf Kit - Progress and Updates

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Iodo's Dwarf Kit - Progress and Updates

Post by Iodo »

I have been doing a little on this project every now and again for some time, the head was less than £1 from a steam fair market in February, it took me till June to get round to finding a handle, and till now to finally do runes and leather work.

Here it is :lol: my first real piece of hard kit:
IMG_20171102_215609.JPG
IMG_20171102_215609.JPG (109.9 KiB) Viewed 17891 times
IMG_20171102_215454.jpg
IMG_20171102_215454.jpg (178.81 KiB) Viewed 17891 times
IMG_20171029_195322.jpg
IMG_20171029_195322.jpg (148.98 KiB) Viewed 17891 times
IMG_20171029_195437.jpg
IMG_20171029_195437.jpg (52.16 KiB) Viewed 17891 times
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Harper
Haeropada

Re: Dwarvish Axe

Post by Harper »

Nicely done.

Will you be oiling the handle?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That turned out pretty cool!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Harper wrote: Will you be oiling the handle?
Maybe, sofar it is treated with beeswax polish, possibly not the best thing but it was already on my shelf and linseed oil wasn't :P I might change my mind yet
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Hatchet, more like! How is the handle decoration achieved? Scratched/kohlrosing? Burned/pyrographed? Seeing it like that, makes me think that (even though it's not my mental image of Tolkien dwarf culture) the WETA-angles might lend themselves to some chipcarving. Would give better grip on the handle, and look fantastic once it gets aged.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

The handle decoration is burned using my old soldering iron, the one with the broken thermostat so it gets way to hot (which on wood works in my
favor :lol: ) I filed a worn out screw driver shaped tip so it was so thin it is almost a blade so I could get a fine line. I also spent about two hours practising on scrap wood first :P

Chipcarving? I have never tryed that, just googled some examples, looks really complicated, maybe some time in the future :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

What lovely decoration!

I agree - those motifs would look absolutely gorgeous carved!
Perhaps on your next go-round. I often have to go through several iterations of a project to *really* get it where I want it.

In a way, M-E "reenactment" is even harder than medieval historical reenactment proper. You have to produce an object that looks distinctive and fits the visual milieu AND is as functional as its real world counterpart AND isn't too technologically/conceptually advanced by being contaminated with modern concepts. It's a challenging row to hoe - but fun!
:lol:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote: In a way, M-E "reenactment" is even harder than medieval historical reenactment
Harder yes, but way more AWESOME :lol:
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Hi, here's a question relating to a project that's currently in the works:

I'm making a lather knife sheath and would like the tooling to look more bold. I'm quite new to leatherwork (but know the basics) and a lot of examples on the internet have darker die in the tooling. It's probably a simple question but could anyone tell me how best to achieve this?

Cheers :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I've not used commercial dyes/finishes recently, but as I recall it's mostly a matter of doing a first pass over everything, then a second pass over the area you want to make darker, follows by buffing up the high spots. These may help -

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thanks, The second video is exactly what I wanted :P
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, exactly what Elleth said! And Tandy sells Eco-Flo antique gel dye, which works really well for this effect. Essentially you just slather a whole bunch onto your project on your first pass, and really let that get into the cracks. Then add more coats as desired and buff to bring out the details.

As for the hatchet, I love the work you've done! I also feel like it would look great with some slight relief carving - and maybe even with some bands of braided leather towards the top, bottom, and/or middle to improve the grip, and lend a sort of "finished" quality to the handle.
Last edited by Manveruon on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote:Yeah, exactly what Wlleth said! And Tandy sells Eco-Flo antique gel dye, which works really well for this effect. Essentially you just slather a whole bunch onto your project on your first pass, and really let that get into the cracks. Then add more coats as desired and buff to bring out the details.

As for the hatchet, I love the work you've done! I also feel like it would look great with some slight relief carving - and maybe even with some bands of braided leather towards the top, bottom, and/or middle to improve the grip, and lend a sort of "finished" quality to the handle.
I have ordered some eco flo all in one stain and finish, trouble is I couldn't find a stockist in the UK so have to wait for shipping, so that project is on hold for a while. Maybe I will think about leather bands on the hatchet handle, sounds like a good idea
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I wasn't sure weather this should go in hard or soft kit so I thought I'd post it here to save starting a new thread.
A few weeks ago I said I could do with a belt that wasn't my work one, here it is:
IMG_20171113_215931.JPG
IMG_20171113_215931.JPG (188.81 KiB) Viewed 17637 times
And this time (not like on the axe sheath) I spelt Erebor in runes right, my brother noticed that the first time he saw it :P
IMG_20171113_213727.jpg
IMG_20171113_213727.jpg (57.03 KiB) Viewed 17637 times
IMG_20171113_215440.JPG
IMG_20171113_215440.JPG (64.56 KiB) Viewed 17637 times
IMG_20171113_215557.JPG
IMG_20171113_215557.JPG (81.72 KiB) Viewed 17637 times
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

AWESOME

I love love love the Angerthas. :)

Couple thoughts -

- given that you knot the tail, you might not need the keeper and would get a more period look without it.
- A custom buckle would be a superb apprentice forging project!! :lol: