Iodo's Dwarf Kit - Progress and Updates

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Dwarvish Axe

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:AWESOME

I love love love the Angerthas. :)

Couple thoughts -

- given that you knot the tail, you might not need the keeper and would get a more period look without it.
- A custom buckle would be a superb apprentice forging project!! :lol:
I totaly agree about the keeper, I wasn't origanaly going to knot the tail and had already stitched it in when I decided not the cut the long end off and to tool it instead, then it seemed a shame the cut the keeper out since I'd already made it. Tell you what, I'll get rid of it when I unpick the stitching to replace the buckle with one I have forged myself (I love that idea) when I have finished the forge :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Very nice! Tooling a whole belt takes some doin'!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Taurinor wrote:Very nice! Tooling a whole belt takes some doin'!
Yep, took a very long time :lol: won't be doing it again in a hurry
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I really love how your kit is coming together, Iodo. Really top-notch work, especially for someone just jumping into it all. Your kit all seems to have have a very cohesive look, and I really dig it. Keep up the good work!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote:I really love how your kit is coming together, Iodo. Really top-notch work, especially for someone just jumping into it all. Your kit all seems to have have a very cohesive look, and I really dig it. Keep up the good work!
:P

I finally got around to finishing the knife sheath, the knife is moderen and wasn't origanaly going to be part of my kit but since I ended up making the sheath with dawarvish tooling it has ended up part of my kit until I eventually finish my forge and get good enough to make something better (hopefully :lol: ).
So far I am pleased with it, it sits nicely on the small of my back, although I think I overdid the wet forming a little since its very stiff to pull the knife in and out, hopefully it will sofen up with use. My only regret is using rivets to save time, while they work it looks a bit out of place.

Here's some photos:
IMG_20171203_115645.jpg
IMG_20171203_115645.jpg (119.62 KiB) Viewed 15334 times
IMG_20171203_115739.jpg
IMG_20171203_115739.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 15334 times
IMG_20171203_115859.jpg
IMG_20171203_115859.jpg (179.06 KiB) Viewed 15334 times
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Very nice work on both the axe and sheath for the knife. Here is a thought about the knife, while it does look modern I notice that grip scales are removable. You could always make a new set of scales for the grip made of wood that would not look as out of place as the micarta scales do. Add a leather lanyard to the knife that matches the color of the sheath and you are set. Out of curiosity, who is maker of the knife?
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Zaskar24 wrote:Very nice work on both the axe and sheath for the knife. Here is a thought about the knife, while it does look modern I notice that grip scales are removable. You could always make a new set of scales for the grip made of wood that would not look as out of place as the micarta scales do. Add a leather lanyard to the knife that matches the color of the sheath and you are set. Out of curiosity, who is maker of the knife?
Making new scales for the knife is a good idea, although I'm not sure how they come off, they look just like torque bolts but when I tryed to undo them there really tight, ether thread lock or something else? (since I like the knife as it is I was a bit of a chicken and was scared to try to hard though :mrgreen: )
The knife is made by Whitby and co, here's a link to it on there website:

http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/whitby/hun ... eath-knife
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Thank you for the information and link to the knife manufacturer. It looks like a handy multi-purpose belt knife.

If is is thread lock you can often use a little bit of heat to get the screw loose. Something like a hairdryer on high can be enough to loosen the thread lock.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Zaskar24 wrote:Thank you for the information and link to the knife manufacturer. It looks like a handy multi-purpose belt knife.

If is is thread lock you can often use a little bit of heat to get the screw loose. Something like a hairdryer on high can be enough to loosen the thread lock.
Yes it is a handy belt knife, now it has a half decent sheath anyway :P The blade has served me well so far, has decent weight to it and works well for wood carving.
I may have a go with heat but not until I'm really sure that's what I want :lol:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Nice leatherwork!

NORMALLY I'm all for making do with what you have on hand, especially when you're just getting started and have a lot more time then money.
That said, sometimes I think it's best to leave a thing be what it is, rather than spend hours of your life and too-much-money trying to turn it into something it's not. That knife looks like a great modern belt knife, and the sheath adds a lot of character.

But for a period / Middle-earth piece, unless you want to wait on finishing your forged piece can I recommend buying something like this as a base and customizing from there? I know £45 isn't whim-spending money when you're young, but I really think if you're going to put a whole bunch of hours into customizing something, you'll end up with something you're much more happy with if you start with a better foundation.

gdfb-small-seax.jpg
gdfb-small-seax.jpg (62.32 KiB) Viewed 15298 times
https://www.gdfb.co.uk/small-seax-knife ... -998-p.asp
Last edited by Elleth on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Good advice there Elleth :P
After further thought the metal shape will always look modern nomater what I do or how much time I spend, so I think I'll leave it as it is and ether get something good that looks the part or wait till I finish my forge. Although you are right £45 is a bit much :lol:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I really love your work on that sheath, Iodo! I agree that the knife itself is distinctly modern, but to me, the design would cwrtainly be somewhat more passable with wooden scales. The angular, tactical shape of the knife itself definitely says "21st Century," but with a little imagination I feel like it also could be seen as a Dwarvish design. That being said, Elleth is definitely on to something with that knife recommendation. That would look gorgeous with your kit! And she has a point about starting with something that fits the universe.

Either way though, very nice work! You have a really good eye for design and functionally, and bringing the two together in a pleasing, culturally-appropriate way. I am thoroughly enjoying watching your kit progress.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

You are really rolling along there Sister! I am encouraged by your enthusiasm and love your interpretation. You are making me work on my kit again just to keep up!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

You are making me work on my kit again just to keep up!
The very best part of this place. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Ringulf wrote:You are really rolling along there Sister! I am encouraged by your enthusiasm and love your interpretation. You are making me work on my kit again just to keep up!
I'm glad you like my stuff so far :lol: am thinking of making vambraces for my next leatherwork project, hopefully a photo of them will be up soon, if I have time :P