Bowstaves

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Bowstaves

Post by Will Whitfoot »

Some years ago (quite a few) my wife an I acquired five acres of pastureland and we decided to plant trees. We planted numerous different species, some common, some rare. Much of it is a forest now! In the back corner I established a grove of Maclura Pomifera (aka Osage Orange or Bodark). As many probably know, this wood was prized by Native Americans for it's use in bowmaking. But it's difficult to grow straight, and especially hard to find a straight unblemished segment long enough for a longbow stave. I have endeavored over the years to train some of the shoots to stand straight instead of curving, and one is approaching a size that could be considered harvestable (six inches dia). But that exhausts my knowledge on bowmaking. I got as far as growing (what I think is) the perfect bowstave material. I have done a share of woodworking, but mostly I am a metal-working guy. Any bowmakers out there?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Bowstaves

Post by Greg »

We have a few. I've begun scraping (again) on a yew stave I've had for several years in hopes of getting going on that project again. Ursus has made bows as well, among a few others.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Bowstaves

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I know Ursus has specifically scratch-built osage bows before, so he would definitely be a good person to talk to.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains