Looking for some project feedback...

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Looking for some project feedback...

Post by Elleth »

So I've been thinking about how to handle my quiver lately. As you guys saw before, a small snapsack sits on the strap, and I think that's going to stay there. Originally it was a miscellany for most-important items, but that's changing.

Basically, the quiver is getting relegated to a more stand-alone "line 2" item. I want it to hold the arrows, everything necessary to maintain the bow and arrows, and not much else. Probably some ration crackers and bandaging in the snapsack, but not much else.

But I still want to attatch some field fletching tools, spare bowstring, a couple spare heads, string wax, etc. Originally I was planning a single panel with several pouches on the front that could be lashed onto the leather "ladder" on the inside. All the contents are fairly small and flat, so I didn't expect any discomfort-
merf-quiver-options-02-inside-stacked.jpg
merf-quiver-options-02-inside-stacked.jpg (31.1 KiB) Viewed 9774 times
What gave me pause was my words to Iodo the other day -
In a way, M-E "reenactment" is even harder than medieval historical reenactment proper. You have to produce an object that looks distinctive and fits the visual milieu AND is as functional as its real world counterpart AND isn't too technologically/conceptually advanced by being contaminated with modern concepts. It's a challenging row to hoe - but fun!

I'm beginning to think I'm too influenced by modern MOLLE-type systems, and a Dunedain "in period" wouldn't think to create something so elaborate. I still want to attach those extra tools, but now I'm thinking a single loose pouch on the back as a more period-appropriate solution. It's not as trim, but I'm starting to think it's the best route forward -
merf-quiver-options-01-outside-single.jpg
merf-quiver-options-01-outside-single.jpg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 9774 times
What do you guys think? Specialized-but-complex? (there's certainly other bits of complex design in fairly early periods). Natty-but-simple? (lots of rustic simple solutions even now) Something else entirely?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Looking for some project feedback...

Post by Peter Remling »

How about a small top of the shoulder pouch that would double as padding for the quiver strap. The bottom would be wider than the strap and could be padded or just wider. The top would be the pouch. With these small items, it should interfere with your chin/neck movements or drawing the arrows from your quiver. You could also keep the pad but lower the pouch down the front of the strap a bit.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I kind of like the first option, one pouch in the middle might be to large and get in the way? In my mind a ranger, living on the road might make one small pouch to contain one thing, then tie it to there quiver, then some time later acquire something new, and make another pouch to add to the previous item. So rather than it being an elaborate carry system thought up all at once and matching, the pouches could be made from slightly different leathers and at different times to accommodate need?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hmmmm... an interesting conundrum. For my part, I have been really enjoying my Ithilien inspired "bandolier" of pouches, which attaches to my belt and runs over my right shoulder. Perhaps something similar could be incorporated into the quiver strap? I'm generally not a fan of attaching various pouches to my quiver, mostly because as you say, it feels sort of modern, or at least "New World" on some level. But I can definitely see the advantages there.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here are two, from Andy himself. Not over-thought, not too high-tech...and I made one similar that I carried for years. Worked great.
D6F95255-D67D-4B84-B520-3C7D80F8B458-2016-0000016EEF7908F7.jpeg
D6F95255-D67D-4B84-B520-3C7D80F8B458-2016-0000016EEF7908F7.jpeg (114.23 KiB) Viewed 9744 times
5E277A3F-28C4-4BD0-A3FF-F33EEFA1FECE-2016-0000016EEC06F1F1.jpeg
5E277A3F-28C4-4BD0-A3FF-F33EEFA1FECE-2016-0000016EEC06F1F1.jpeg (214.77 KiB) Viewed 9744 times
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thanks all. One or two smaller pouches it is. Feeling good about that decision.

Gonna be spring before it's all wrapped up I think... but wow! I think I'm actually almost there. The "to do" list is getting shorter by the week. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.