knife sheath attatchments - what's your favorite?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

knife sheath attatchments - what's your favorite?

Post by Elleth »

I've been needing for ages to sew a sheath for my belt knife, and I'm finally getting to it. Thing is.. I'm at a bit of a loss as to the best way to tackle the project.

Originally I was going to do something similar to Urthgard's sheath:

I've always liked the style, and the style works quite well for the slim seax Ursus crafted for me.
On reflection though, I don't think it will work as well with my new knife. The guard is lovely, but threatens to be a bit pokey worn *under* the belt, especially on a long walk:

I'm wary of going too modern, but I've also lost a knife hanging from historically correct leather thongs. (Also I'd like to avoid being too bouncy)

What's your favorite approach for practical sheath that still fits a fantasy/medieval/Middle-earth aesthetic?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: knife sheath attatchments - what's your favorite?

Post by Ursus »

I just finished another new sword scabbard for my blade complete with a weta inspired by knife attached. I believe Greg has done something similar and can back me up on its practical application and aesthetic appearance. For me it’s a way of taking my favorite but most single use/non tool piece of kit and adding to its value as a ranger. I now no longer carry fighting knife in favor of a hand axe on my belt yet it still gives me a medium sized dedicated work knife and cuts down on the belt clutter. There’s just something appealing about having a fine tool attached to my main weapon.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Ursus wrote:There’s just something appealing about having a fine tool attached to my main weapon.
...and gosh, doesn't it draw naturally?! I know you think things through in a very martial mindset...you MUST be enamored with how intuitively your hand finds it.

Elleth...not sure what to tell you. That knife looks a little big for a byknife, and you weren't planning to carry your sword all the time anyway. I honestly don't think your bolster would be all that uncomfortable. You COULD layer up the leather on the body-side of the sheath so the bolster and the sheath are even with one another (no major changes in terrain, so to speak). Might make the difference you need.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

While Your Mileage May Vary, I'd urge you to reconsider the historical 14th-15th century attachment method. My pseudo-historical sheath for the Baurnseax works quite nicely for me, with fairly minimal bouncing.
IMG_7168.jpg
IMG_7168.jpg (119.91 KiB) Viewed 19705 times
IMG_7169.JPG
IMG_7169.JPG (129.13 KiB) Viewed 19705 times
Also you can secure it much better if you use woven cord ( fingerloop or lucet) instead of a thong.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Hmmmm..... Well, my favorite is one where the knife sits on the small of my back parallel to the belt, making it completely invisible under a cloak or long jacket. The only possible issue being that I stabbed a hole in my cloak putting the knife back :oops: :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I can see why you're concerned about the historical sheath. With a handle heavy knife like that it's easy for it to fall out. Might I suggest a variation of Urthgard's sheath. Instead of leather try poplar similar to the construction of my large camp knife shown below. You could make it like I did with the sheath only covering the blade or like Urthgard's coming up to enclose part of the handle. The weight of the wood keeps it upright, a felt or sheepskin liner will hold it snugly without scratching the blade and the belt loop against the body keeps it from shifting. You could stain then carve the wood or leather cover it.

http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... ath#p36291
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thanks for the advice all!

Yes, I don't think a scabbard mount is gonna work for me, handy as it sounds. And the small of my back is taken up with a needwallet (which I need to remake at some point: I want it to be a bit taller and narrower so as to properly hold a cordial bottle).

The more I think on it, the more inclined I am to stick with a fairly traditional European center-seam body - maybe with a cordage loop, but perhaps with sewn-on loops or something. Think think think...

Thanks!
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

One thing I’ve considered has been adding a hidden sheath in my need wallet, but that’s for a smaller knife.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

My bush knife is a leuku, and true to the Saami way, it has a thong by which its supposed to hang.
I prefer to shove it under my belt, so it doesn't dangle and swing and so I know it's always there (at least the sheath is).
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yes, I don't think a scabbard mount is gonna work for me, handy as it sounds. And the small of my back is taken up with a needwallet (which I need to remake at some point: I want it to be a bit taller and narrower so as to properly hold a cordial bottle)
I’m not trying to sway you in any particular direction, but for what it’s worth, my need-wallet rides off-center to make room for no small knife. Even if it were smaller, I think I would’ve still stowed it here...the cloak keeps it completely covered but easily accessible.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I did go ahead with my original "Urthgard" inspired one - we'll see how it carries.

The carvings are mimic those on the knife itself, with an extra decorative element inspired by the corners of the Numenorean carpet: I love that little "flower" corner ornament.
merf-dunedain-knife-sheath-00-inspirations-sketches.jpg
merf-dunedain-knife-sheath-00-inspirations-sketches.jpg (59.07 KiB) Viewed 19302 times
merf-dunedain-knife-sheath-01-layout.jpg
merf-dunedain-knife-sheath-01-layout.jpg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 19302 times
merf-dunedain-knife-sheath-02-on-belt.jpg
merf-dunedain-knife-sheath-02-on-belt.jpg (49.43 KiB) Viewed 19302 times
I think it mostly works, at least visually.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I carry my sword in a baldric, and built a sheath in for my by-knife onto the lower strap. it's similar to the method of attaching it to the scabbard, but not.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Great work Elleth :P really like the pattern
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Grimolt
Wayfarer

Post by Grimolt »

I agree...looks great, and keeps the weapon secure. Win/win!

V/r
Grimolt
Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart; and remember that the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West and cometh from the sea.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:merf-dunedain-knife-sheath-02-on-belt.jpg
You are easter-egging HEAVILY in that photo.

Just saying.