good flint source?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

JeffCee
Wayfarer

good flint source?

Post by JeffCee »

Hey Rangers,

I just bought a steel striker which came with 3 pieces of flint about the size of a quarter each. Tiny. I might make arrow heads with them.

Where do you go when you want a beefy piece of flint( Or equivalent stone)? I'm in Los Angeles, if that matters. Web sites are welcome also!

Thanks,
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: good flint source?

Post by Elleth »

I got a big ol' box of English flint flakes from "Neolithics Flintknapping Supplyhouse"

http://www.neolithics.com/flakes-1/

You can get a lifetime supply for hardly much at all.
A pound of flakes had - for me - a number of fair-sized easy to hold chunks and and lots of little - but perfectly usable - pieces as well.
They might still be smaller than you're looking for, but I'm sure if you ask they can find you pieces closer to what you want.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Family ordered a wad of these for me years ago for Christmas. They’re surprisingly big, and I’m still using the first I pulled out (though honestly I should probably move on to a sharper fresh piece...it’s been about 6 years.)
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
JeffCee
Wayfarer

Post by JeffCee »

Perfect! Thank you, Loremasters!
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

JeffCee wrote:Hey Rangers,

I just bought a steel striker which came with 3 pieces of flint about the size of a quarter each. Tiny. I might make arrow heads with them.

Where do you go when you want a beefy piece of flint( Or equivalent stone)? I'm in Los Angeles, if that matters. Web sites are welcome also!

Thanks,
I have a massive amount of flint I gathered on a flint beach in Denmark while I was there doing an archaeological excavation. I would be happy to trade you! I can send a big piece that you can process yourself, or if you prefer I can process it into smaller pieces for you before I ship it!

Let me know :)
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Dixie Gun Works works for me.
They sell English flints for flintlock guns, and in that same section, lovely flint chips (#FA0465) from Ol' Blighty.
They also sell a flint nodule (#FA3000) which is like a 3 pound boulder for your chipping and sparking pleasure.
Best firestones I've ever found.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
JeffCee
Wayfarer

Post by JeffCee »

Hey all!
Just an update. I was out for a hike and brought my steel striker to test rocks. Quartz can be found, so thats what I was looking for. No luck.

I had just about given up when I spied a flat-ish, angular, grey-tan rock about the size of my palm. I expected it to crumble when I hit it , but I got sparks!

The rock looks kinda like Flint, not quite as smooth, But it works!
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

JeffCee wrote:Hey all!
Just an update. I was out for a hike and brought my steel striker to test rocks. Quartz can be found, so thats what I was looking for. No luck.

I had just about given up when I spied a flat-ish, angular, grey-tan rock about the size of my palm. I expected it to crumble when I hit it , but I got sparks!

The rock looks kinda like Flint, not quite as smooth, But it works!
I do that too! After testing the steel with a known good flint of course.
For a while I had a big pile of wild-caught firestones. Whoo-hoo!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

I recently got five pounds of very nice flint and chert from GoKnapping.com, which was the least costly with shipping I found (for me).
They also have a one pound option if you don't think you need to supply a small village.
JeffCee
Wayfarer

Post by JeffCee »

Odigan wrote:I recently got five pounds of very nice flint and chert from GoKnapping.com, which was the least costly with shipping I found (for me).
They also have a one pound option if you don't think you need to supply a small village.
That is a fantastic resource! Thanks!