Iron shod walking staff/spear haft

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Leahcim
Wayfarer

Iron shod walking staff/spear haft

Post by Leahcim »

A few months ago I took my walking stick out to beat some brush while hunting with some Falconer friends of mine and of course I lost my buttcap because I never epoxied it on the first time......

So today in preparation for the camp I have coming up in 2 weeks I decided to fix the problem. I started with a 3/4 inch black iron pipe cap and machined me a new flanged buttcap to reshod my walking staff...

First I threw it in the lathe and machined off the ears and then file worked it to a nice uniform but rough finish

Then I made a jig out of some pipe and a hexagonal 5c collet holder to hold it in the mill level and get repeatable turns and milled the flanges with a ball nose endmill. I wasn't worried about ultra precision so I just chucked the endmill into the drill head eyeballed center and went to town

And some time later and 6 turns and it's done!!

Will post some more pics after the epoxy sets and get some pretty sunlight on it!!!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Iron shod walking staff/spear haft

Post by Iodo »

That's cool, maybe I'll make one :P have you thought of blackening it with something like black magic?

Nice milling jig by the way, I take it you screwed the pipe fitting on real tight and turned the hex over for each cut. Curiosity: What's the mill? It doesn't look quite like a bridgeport table
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Leahcim
Wayfarer

Post by Leahcim »

The lathe is a Grizzly 9x20
The mill is a Grizzly o forget the model number but it's a rebranded Sieg x3 mill which is a mid sized mill...

The jig is a hexagonal 5c collet holder and I used a 1inch collet and turned a piece of pipe to fit. Then machined some trued up threads to hold the cap square... then just basically snugged it down, made my cuts then flipped it one face in the vice and cut the next.. repeat till finished

It will DEFINITELY get a patina... Probably just use vinegar or maybe an onion to blacken it once the epoxy is set... Either way it's raw iron and will darken as soon as it hits the trails anyway
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Leahcim wrote:The lathe is a Grizzly 9x20
The mill is a Grizzly o forget the model number but it's a rebranded Sieg x3 mill which is a mid sized mill...

The jig is a hexagonal 5c collet holder and I used a 1inch collet and turned a piece of pipe to fit. Then machined some trued up threads to hold the cap square... then just basically snugged it down, made my cuts then flipped it one face in the vice and cut the next.. repeat till finished

It will DEFINITELY get a patina... Probably just use vinegar or maybe an onion to blacken it once the epoxy is set... Either way it's raw iron and will darken as soon as it hits the trails anyway
Sound's like you have a good machine shop setup, I look forward to seeing other things you make - the possibility's with a lathe and mill are (almost) endless

forgive my stupidity (comparing it to a bridgeport :P ) it's hard to tell scale on those pics... oops :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Leahcim
Wayfarer

Post by Leahcim »

Iodo wrote: Sound's like you have a good machine shop setup, I look forward to seeing other things you make - the possibility's with a lathe and mill are (almost) endless

forgive my stupidity (comparing it to a bridgeport :P ) it's hard to tell scale on those pics... oops :mrgreen:
Bah no stupidity on your part it's very hard to tell scale when it's closeup pictures!!!!

Also thanks!! It's a tiny little shop but I have pretty much anything I need to make whatever I want!! I do a lot of shooting sports and other things and I am usually building something out there!!!

I have a bunch of gear projects I will post with tons of pictures lol . I love to tinker!!