Ranger camp knife

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Leahcim
Wayfarer

Ranger camp knife

Post by Leahcim »

So... My main camp knife started off as a coldsteel Bushman knife... There are 2 versions a Bowie and a regular... mine is the regular blade... For those getting into Bushcraft or just wanting a good inexpensive blade they can abuse and can take the abuse but doesn't cost a arm and a leg it's a pretty good choice of blade. It's super tough, lightweight, and in a pinch with it's hollow handle makes a pretty serviceable hunting spear when hafted...

The sheath it comes in... Looks nice but is junk IMHO.. firsrt day in camp I had kneeled down and it snagged on something and bent at the belt loop causing it to stop retaining the blade proper and honestly would be a pretty big safety factor in use... As its super modern looking it wouldn't suffice for in garb camping anyways... So it got rebuilt.....

Anyways here are the mods so far!!

Stock brand new knife and sheath!

I stripped the epoxy coating off the blade then did a forced patina with mustard and vinegar

It turned out nice IMHO

Then for the sheath... I didn't take a lot of pics but basically I cut the top of the stock kydex sheath removing the belt loop and no longer functional lock and the holder for the tiny ferrorod that came with it.... Then I made a pattern and sewed up a leather"sock" I then stretched over the remaining kydex to form a leather wrapped hard sided sheath.... Added a horizontal belt loop and a leather strap that runs through the handle to secure it, added a couple leather shims to the mouth of the sheath to make a nice snug fit and boom..... Perfectly functional and looks good leather belt sheath!

I still plan on doing a wrap of some kind on the handle just haven't decided on what kind yet....

Also... The blade looks small in my hands because I have big mitts..... It's actually a 6.5 inch blade and a 6 inch handle so the whole thing is a pretty substantial bit of kit that doesn't weight hardly anything!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Ranger camp knife

Post by Iodo »

Hmmm... I like the idea of a hollow handled knife that could work as a spear when added to a walking staff, so clever :P

Is the handle of the knife hardened, if not you could drill two small holes at each end, then rap a strip of leather round and pin it on
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Leahcim
Wayfarer

Post by Leahcim »

Iodo wrote:Hmmm... I like the idea of a hollow handled knife that could work as a spear when added to a walking staff, so clever :P

Is the handle of the knife hardened, if not you could drill two small holes at each end, then rap a strip of leather round and pin it on
I it was admittedly an impulse buy... Brand new they are only around 25 bucks and was also purchasing something else at the time. I had just seen a video of someone torture testing it and had bent that little 6 inch blade to about 45° and it didn't break and come back to true so I thought why not...

To answer your hardened question.. yes the whole thing is hardened and tempered. It does have one hole in the handle but it's for a pin or screw if you chuck it onto spear haft...

Also lol yes it makes a great spear head. My walking staff is actually socketed on the top for the knife.. turns my 5 foot walking stick into an almost 6 foot wicked spear

For 25 bucks and some elbow grease.... It's a hard knife to beat
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Not bad! And yes, would be greatly improved in both the visuals and ergonomics departments with some sort of wrap applied to the grip.
I'm curious as to what you used to strip the epoxy coating off the blade? I have a new-to-me surplus pistol that was originally epoxy coated which I am thinking about stripping off.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Leahcim
Wayfarer

Post by Leahcim »

Udwin wrote:Not bad! And yes, would be greatly improved in both the visuals and ergonomics departments with some sort of wrap applied to the grip.
Facts!!! Just have not decided if I was to Wrap it with cordage or leather strapping, wrap it with a solid leather sleeve, Or plait it with leather lacing, or some type of cloth lace!!! So many decisions!!!!
Udwin wrote: I'm curious as to what you used to strip the epoxy coating off the blade? I have a new-to-me surplus pistol that was originally epoxy coated which I am thinking about stripping off.
Klean strip in the metal can premium stripper(image stolen from web....
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Try cord wrap (not Glued) and leather over the cord with the leather strips glued to itself. Place a roofing nail in the socket with several fish hooks and sinkers. Plug the socket with a cork. Now you have fishing gear in the socket, the fish line under the leather wrap with the cork plug for a bobber. The roofing nail is to attach the bush knife to a shaft as a spear.

I 've had one for years. It's stays in a kit in my car along with a few other things.
Leahcim
Wayfarer

Post by Leahcim »

That's not a hateful idea at all!

But I am sorta leaning towards either a solid wrap laced on.... Or dusting off my old whip making skills and plaiting a nice handle with a couple Spanish ring knots .....
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Leahcim wrote:That's not a hateful idea at all!

But I am sorta leaning towards either a solid wrap laced on.... Or dusting off my old whip making skills and plaiting a nice handle with a couple Spanish ring knots .....
That stills leaves the hollow handle for stuff. :idea: