A simple need wallet

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

A simple need wallet

Post by SierraStrider »

Here's a piece of essential kit I've had my eye on for quite some time--a need wallet. It's exactly what I had in mind when I requested small buckles for my Yule gift exchange, and with Odigan coming through so beautifully I figured I had run out of excuses to procrastinate. I took the advice of several people and picked up some leather punches, which worked great.

Apologies--I thought I took more pictures in the early parts of this build. Oh well. It's not particularly complex.
I went with the oval-cross section portmanteau design that seems to be nearly a uniform piece of kit for the forum at this point. It's 8¾" (22cm) long, 3" (7.5cm) high and 1.5" (4cm) deep.

Here it is stained. While the historical replica buckle Odigan sent me does seem a little more functional, these pointed, pentagonal ones are...just so unbelievably gorgeous. There's been a lot of talk about avoiding the glint and clink of metal buckles, which I understand to some extent, but it's my feeling that once the brass patinates it won't be all that glinty, and it doesn't clink as long as the buckles are fastened. Given that a need wallet is intended only to be opened in utmost extremity, I don't forsee operating those buckles too often to risk clinking.

I might cut the straps a little shorter later, but wanted to start long because...you know, you can't cut them longer.

I attached the straps to the body by slipping them through slits in the back. This makes them more adjustable and replaceable. The spacing of the slits lets this easily mount to the back of my belt or chest harness. Also note my expert application of distressing and aging techniques that make it look genuinely travel worn and aren't at all indicative of the fact that I couldn't apply dye evenly to save my life.

Now...I plan to assemble some hard-tack/cram/cordial to put in this for "costume" purposes, and expect to use waxed pigskin for a waterproof inner cover for those things. For the most part, though, this will not serve as a costume piece--it'll be a functional element of my kit, only to be opened in direst need, when historical authenticity takes a back seat to not dying. I therefore sized it to hold my flourescent orange palantír.

This was one of the last elements in my fully functional kit. I've got a big ol' survey job coming up for work, but I'm reasonably hopeful that I'll be able to get out and record a trek before then. Exciting!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: A simple need wallet

Post by Iodo »

This looks amazing :P and I really like your idea of attaching the straps in slots and having then double as belt loops
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

I love it...stealing this idea for my kit! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow beautiful!
Frodo lives!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks great! Very well thought out and executed...it very much mirrors what was written. Well done!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's beautifully! Really well done! I particularly like the way you attach the straps. I can think of at least one extant belt purse from 12th or 13th century Germany that has a sort of similar strap setup ( although technically it used separate straps to attach to the belt). Either way though, it just sort of feels right. Very practical, and not over-engineered. If ever I finally make a needs wallet for myself, I'll probably be taking this same route.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Cool! Those buckles were perfect!

Good call leaving the straps long, I think. :)

Oh - my original design was perhaps a bit over-engineered to keep as much water as much as possible. Since I'm sure you get out more than I do, I'd be curious to hear how well the stuff inside yours stays dry, so that I know how much of that was wasted effort. Thanks!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.