Small stoppered tubes

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Small stoppered tubes

Post by SierraStrider »

After messing with elder canes for a pocket bellows, I started thinking about what else hollow wooden tubing could be used for. I tried making a whistle...that didn't work even a little bit, but while carving fipples for it, I realized that a wooden tube could be quite cool.

I reamed the pith out of a well-dried cane of elder and then used a drill bit to widen the bore to 3/8". I took some 3/8" poplar dowel and cut a small disc off of it, which I glued into the bottom of the tube. I then cut the top off the tube and inserted a longer piece of dowel that stood proud of the tube itself, to make a stopper. I drilled a small hole through the stopper, which I carefully widened to make a lanyard. The stopper is a very good friction fit.
I intended this as a sewing kit, but while fine for needle storage there's not much of a good way to store thread in such a narrow vessel. In retrospect, though, shorter versions of this could make excellent spice bottles--lighter and less delicate than glass, while still being reasonably waterproof once waxed.
Here it is all finished!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Small stoppered tubes

Post by Iodo »

That looks amazing and your pyrography is really cool :P

maybe as a sewing kit, just wind thread around the outside of it?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That’s brilliant! Definitely made me think of a needle case first too, but yeah, there are probably a number of other applications!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I love the decorative carving. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Elleth wrote:I love the decorative carving. :)
Thanks! I've been thinking about decorating my shepherd's crook at some point, and this was good practice.
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Looks really awesome. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Iodo wrote:That looks amazing and your pyrography is really cool :P

maybe as a sewing kit, just wind thread around the outside of it?
That was what I was going to suggest, Iodo. I carry a very similar needle case in my kit, with a long length of cord wrapped around it. The downside I've found is that the thread can get damaged, and if it's waxed it collects a lot of junk. This problem I've solved by keeping it in my small tool roll.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

BrianGrubbs wrote:The downside I've found is that the thread can get damaged, and if it's waxed it collects a lot of junk. This problem I've solved by keeping it in my small tool roll.
Clever :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Very nice! To echo Elleth, the carvings are really neat. My mind also went right to spice storage and it would be cool to see how well that could hold spices.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain