New Projects in the Works

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

New Projects in the Works

Post by Manveruon »

In an effort to finally get my ENTIRE kit totally finished to the point of feeling like I can finally do a full kit-breakdown on here, I’m starting in on a couple new projects, and I figured I’d share the beginnings of them here so I can follow up as they progress (there are still a few things I desperately need to get working on, like new trousers and undergarments, but those will have to wait for now). The first project I’m going to be jumping into is a new belt pouch based partially on Elleth’s most recent design (and maybe a needs-wallet after that, but I need to tinker with that pattern a bit first), and the second is a new quiver. I have a pretty good idea of how I want to do the pouch, but the quiver is still in the early design stages, and I thought I’d share what I’ve been brainstorming here.

Basically, I decided that while my old trusty quiver is excellent in many ways (it’s one of the oldest pieces of kit I still use regularly, and it’s still serving me quite well), I am beginning to feel like it’s a bit more bulky than I would ideally like, and it’s also bugging me that it’s obviously based largely on the design of Viggo’s quiver from the New Line films - which I think it a great design actually, but I want to distance my kit from any hero props that belong to any specific characters, particularly in the movies.

The idea here is to make the quiver slimmer and slightly lighter-weight than my old one, while still retaining some of the functionality. Mainly, I want to be able to strap my bow to the quiver when I’m not using it, but I am also frustrated that when I did this with my old quiver, the bow had a tendency to shift around to the back of the quiver rather than laying nicely alongside. To address these specific issues, I have decided to keep the general idea of using a long strap crisscrossing the quiver body and buckling to allow me to tighten it around the bow - except this time I have decided to cut some slits into the quiver body itself to allow the strap to cross THROUGH the quiver, holding it in place. This will also serve to ensure that the bow can’t slide around to the back, because it will only have space to sit directly on the side of the quiver, between the two pass-through. Also, I have decided to add a SECOND buckle to the bottom (essentially turning the single strap into two connecting straps), for extra adjustability.

Lastly, in an effort to make as much of my kit as detail-rich as possible, I would like to add some culturally appropriate embellishment to it on the various straps and borders and so-forth, so if anyone has any ideas on what designs might look good, I would love some input!

So yeah, that’s the general idea. I also have a few other little things I want to adjust, like the angle of the shoulder strap and so forth, but those will come as the build progresses. For now, here’s a quick sketch of what I have in mind:
4BD4513B-D98B-49AD-91E1-6AC7924BBADA.jpeg
4BD4513B-D98B-49AD-91E1-6AC7924BBADA.jpeg (34.31 KiB) Viewed 11141 times
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: New Projects in the Works

Post by Iodo »

That looks like it will be amazing :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Looks very nice to me! My only question at this point is how will the strap slits affect waterproofing? I'm assuming letting your shafts get wet would be a bad thing on the trail.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I absolutely ADORE that ornamentation - wow!!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks all! I’m excited to jump into the project! I still need to decide on a few details - for instance, I had considered doing some larger Tolkien-esque vinework up the main body of the quiver, because I fear it might be too plain... but then I also don’t want it to be TOO busy, so we’ll see.

As for waterproofing, I’m not overly concerned, honestly. I will be using an arrow-bag inside the quiver anyway, which will be drawn up over the arrows in the event of inclement weather, so the quiver itself will really just be for storage and easy access.
Last edited by Manveruon on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I don't remember doing it, but my wife says I made an audible "ooooh" sound when I saw your design. Good job.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Manveruon wrote:As for waterproofing, I’m not overly concerned, honestly. I will be using an arrow-bag inside the quiver anyway, which will be drawn up over the arrows in the event of inclement weather, so the quiver itself will really just be for storage and easy access.
This.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

As it happens, I started on the pouch last night, and I am still surprised at just how complicated such a seemingly simple design can be. I’m going to add a draw-string body for a little extra carrying capacity, and I’ve changed the belt loop slightly, but otherwise it should be quite similar to Elleth’s design when it’s done, if just a bit larger (fingers crossed).
RangerofAngmar
Wanderer

Post by RangerofAngmar »

Cant wait to see it buddy, concept looks on point
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Good luck! It can be a bother!

I think the wider mouth at the top and tweaking the belt channel will both help a lot in assembly!
May I ask what you're doing for a closure? I think I mentioned I had problems with my flap coming to a point, and that changing the tippy-tip of the "acorn" to a short flat side underneath the attached strap might allow a more aesthetic appearance once all was buckled up.

... I've never tried that though.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Elleth wrote:Good luck! It can be a bother!

I think the wider mouth at the top and tweaking the belt channel will both help a lot in assembly!
May I ask what you're doing for a closure? I think I mentioned I had problems with my flap coming to a point, and that changing the tippy-tip of the "acorn" to a short flat side underneath the attached strap might allow a more aesthetic appearance once all was buckled up.

... I've never tried that though.
I’m hoping you’re right about assembly! I’m also using a much heavier leather for the back of the pouch, just for a little added strength, so that panel won’t be able to turn inwards, making the larger drawstring body kind of a necessity.

As for the closure strap, I admit I ended up doing basically exactly what you did. I’m still in the construction phase, so I could probably change it, but it had completely slipped my mind. Have to put some consideration into that now. What I’m most concerned about with the closure though is not knowing how long I should make the strap where the buckle attaches, since I don’t know quite how large the body of the pouch will be when full. I don’t want to make it too long and always have it dangling everywhere, but at the same time I definitely don’t want to make it too short and then always have difficulty closing it. So I’m sort of eyeballing it and hoping for the best!

Anyway, here are a few progress shots. I took some inspiration from your edge embellishments, but obviously kind of went my own way with them.
592202AE-C65E-46FA-86E9-2406BCDD240F.jpeg
592202AE-C65E-46FA-86E9-2406BCDD240F.jpeg (92.7 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
00BA5F63-D050-49A0-AB45-D5A08773DACB.jpeg
00BA5F63-D050-49A0-AB45-D5A08773DACB.jpeg (101.46 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
DEE0A530-BA70-4068-BD5E-5D0387A8BB53.jpeg
DEE0A530-BA70-4068-BD5E-5D0387A8BB53.jpeg (116.15 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
15474A5C-FF06-4678-8094-D45A3FF3B773.jpeg
15474A5C-FF06-4678-8094-D45A3FF3B773.jpeg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

THAT LOOKS AMAZING!!!

I'm jealous - I think I like it better than mine. :P
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Okay, I am officially in love with that border! That looks amazing! Definitely will take inspiration for my next project!
Manveruon wrote:As for waterproofing, I’m not overly concerned, honestly. I will be using an arrow-bag inside the quiver anyway, which will be drawn up over the arrows in the event of inclement weather, so the quiver itself will really just be for storage and easy access.
Makes sense! Those arrow socks seem like such a great idea.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

More pouch progress! This is turning out to be a much more complex and difficult build than ever I realized. It doesn’t help that I probably also over-engineered it a bit as well. I’m just terrified I’m going to screw it up, but here’s hoping!

I also tooled a small Tengwar “m” rune into the under-side of the front flap, inspired by the pouch Cimrandir made me for this past Yule exchange, which I first filled in with black and then with silver to make it pop a bit.
69B78F54-44F5-4507-AB45-DEC9539AE431.jpeg
69B78F54-44F5-4507-AB45-DEC9539AE431.jpeg (80.44 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
4478090B-B41F-4CE8-BF5E-CF7A4E892100.jpeg
4478090B-B41F-4CE8-BF5E-CF7A4E892100.jpeg (85.65 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
B49B7E72-283A-4867-8E2B-95CBFAD84EB2.jpeg
B49B7E72-283A-4867-8E2B-95CBFAD84EB2.jpeg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
1B07F6D6-8BDD-4488-BB01-6D5FC846A800.jpeg
1B07F6D6-8BDD-4488-BB01-6D5FC846A800.jpeg (111.16 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
F6749EB6-02CA-476B-96AA-8E5280E80D58.jpeg
F6749EB6-02CA-476B-96AA-8E5280E80D58.jpeg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Very beautiful!
Frodo lives!