3rd Age Dunedain Back Quiver - Take IV

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: 3rd Age Dunedain Back Quiver - Take IV

Post by Manveruon »

I mean, I tend to draw inspiration wherever it pops up, really, and at least there was some thought put into the functionality of his kit, but I certainly understand a desire for originality.

In any case, care to share youe thoughts on a solution? Or do you want to try it out first?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

A little bit of proof-in-the-pudding from a day hike last week I went on to snag a couple of photos to wrap up the recently posted newsletter.

This does conclude that yes, I've gone back to a horseshoe roll. My snapsack mounts to the hardware on my new quiver strap since it runs as my tumpline did, over-left-shoulder-under-right-arm. I've never cared for the snapsack being under my left arm...that arm needs to be able to hang low more frequently to manage the sword in-scabbard while meandering through brush, navigating crowded taverns, etc. What the horseshoe roll doesn't do, here, is affect the arrows in any way now. It gets lifted up and over them, and they, in turn, keep it from crowding my neck. Happy balance.
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG (160.63 KiB) Viewed 8813 times
On the other end, where the roll is tied together at my hip, I can still reach my seax...it's not forced here, but sits here casually. I'll never snag that handle on brush again.
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG (66.76 KiB) Viewed 8813 times
Quiver is barely noticeable. I'm shocked, but beyond pleased.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice, I like it.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Nice! Can’t argue with the practicality of the horseshoe roll. Out of curiosity, where does your water supply hang?
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Not shown, but generally on my right shoulder atop the roll. Last thing I put on every time.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:Not shown, but generally on my right shoulder atop the roll. Last thing I put on every time.
I find that to be one of the added advantages of the horseshoe in that it serves as a bit of load bearing padding. I my case it’s for my water bag and scrip.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”