An quick experiment with archery technique

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: An quick experiment with archery technique

Post by Elleth »

Awesome! I'm glad it helped. :mrgreen:

I gather for those more expert than me, it continues with practice. I dearly need more myself.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I have been practicing the instinctive technique and up to 30 yards I was good with a bow setup that's been identical for ages, until today when I got new bow limbs to increase my draw weight, only to find that instinctive archery no longer works, is that because it relies on the bow remaining the same :?: I guess I've just got to get use to the new equipment, hopefully that won't take too long

I'm still new to this and gap shooting still has advantages :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Yes you just have to get used to the new draw weight. Try dry drawing for a few minutes each day. Dry drawing is draw back the bow to your anchor point with out an arrow. Just bring you dominate hand back slowly instead of releasing. This will build up your muscles plus get you used to the new draw weight. After several days you shouldn't notice any difference in your shooting from the old limbs to the new.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Iodo wrote:I have been practicing the instinctive technique and up to 30 yards I was good with a bow setup that's been identical for ages, until today when I got new bow limbs to increase my draw weight, only to find that instinctive archery no longer works, is that because it relies on the bow remaining the same :?:
My first question is "Did your arrows change too, or did they remain the same?"

If you're shooting a heavier bow with arrows that are designed for your lighter bow, yes, the bow will shoot completely differently. "Spine" stiffness/weight is how much the arrow flexes when the string pushes it forward...and it can change accuracy by inches or feet.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Peter Remling wrote:Yes you just have to get used to the new draw weight. Try dry drawing for a few minutes each day. Dry drawing is draw back the bow to your anchor point with out an arrow. Just bring you dominate hand back slowly instead of releasing. This will build up your muscles plus get you used to the new draw weight. After several days you shouldn't notice any difference in your shooting from the old limbs to the new.
Agreed, thanks for the tip :P
Greg wrote:
Iodo wrote:I have been practicing the instinctive technique and up to 30 yards I was good with a bow setup that's been identical for ages, until today when I got new bow limbs to increase my draw weight, only to find that instinctive archery no longer works, is that because it relies on the bow remaining the same :?:
My first question is "Did your arrows change too, or did they remain the same?"

If you're shooting a heavier bow with arrows that are designed for your lighter bow, yes, the bow will shoot completely differently. "Spine" stiffness/weight is how much the arrow flexes when the string pushes it forward...and it can change accuracy by inches or feet.
The whole thing is a bit rushed, a guy at the club said "Hey I've got these, do you want them" a few days ago, there about 4-5Ib more than my old ones and I only first tried them last night because they were about 1.5" longer so I needed to make up a new string. I'm still on my original arrows, the new shafts (with the right spine) haven't come in the post yet, I'll have to wait and see if that helps. I'm still getting nice tight groups, just in a different place compared to my old limbs
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Leahcim
Wayfarer

Post by Leahcim »

If they are carbon shafts you can always go a bit lighter on point weight to stiffen up the dynamic spine of the arrow... Especially if the limbs are only slightly heavier....
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Leahcim wrote:If they are carbon shafts you can always go a bit lighter on point weight to stiffen up the dynamic spine of the arrow... Especially if the limbs are only slightly heavier....
There aluminum (Eason platinum) but I did think of that, only there a bit to worn out so I could use a new set anyway, thanks for the tip :P
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Iodo wrote:The whole thing is a bit rushed, a guy at the club said "Hey I've got these, do you want them" a few days ago, there about 4-5Ib more than my old ones and I only first tried them last night because they were about 1.5" longer so I needed to make up a new string. I'm still on my original arrows, the new shafts (with the right spine) haven't come in the post yet, I'll have to wait and see if that helps. I'm still getting nice tight groups, just in a different place compared to my old limbs
That's definitely an arrow-match issue. Glad there's a solution on the way!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I finally finished fletching the new shafts and tried them in my grandparents back yard, my reference point is back almost where it was, still not exactly the same but I'd call it a success, the new limbs are starting to feel normal and instinctive archery is working again, almost as well as it did. I guess when I first saw the difference I panicked and thought I might have to start over :P

Why is it that I get much better archery advice here than on dedicated archery forums? :mrgreen:
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome.
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

after 6 months of no archery at all (because of covid) I was worried I would have lost all my skill, so this weekend (mainly because I was inspired to do something different by Eric C's post over here https://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.o ... 7e6#p48427) I shot a bow for the first time since March and I videoed my first 6 arrows for a bit of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKuAZkueoJA (in case the link doesn't work)

and was pleasantly surprised that my first arrows hit the target but I can't say the same for the rest afternoon, I stopped when I didn't want to do to much arrow mending :lol: I think I need more practice
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Great shooting!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

TaylorSteiner wrote:Great shooting!
Thank you :P
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Nice video! Glad to see you send a few shafts down range and I'm sure that time will bring back muscle memories.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Cimrandir wrote:Nice video! Glad to see you send a few shafts down range and I'm sure that time will bring back muscle memories.
Thanks :P although it's looking like a second lock-down will stop me from doing any more