Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kiriana
Haeropada

Re: Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

Post by Kiriana »

I really like that it's not quite as dark in the leather dye and that this time all the tooling and colors really pop.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Here's the final product! I didn't any runes on because I wasn't sure where I'd put them so it didn't look awkward
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Daerir,
That looks great! your shaping in the final stages made a tremendous difference! it looks very rugged and ballanced, a truly handsome piece!! Have you any plans for the sheith or scabbard?

BTW please check your PM's I have a message for you.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Now that is an impressive seax! Well done! I am curious about the sheath too!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Well I definitely plan on crafting a sheath for it. I'm planning on black leather and the runes will be placed in the leather. I am not sure if I'll pick burgundy or forest green accent color. That will probably be my summer project.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I was actually planning on getting a few pieces of leather from here

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php ... 41_264_328

I think those are fairly reasonable prices
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I've gotten some precut straps from Crazy Crow that I thought were good for the money (especially compared to Tandy's prices) and they also have small squares and rectangles of their strap leather for making sheaths that is a little cheaper than the above link. Nothing already dyed, though.

http://www.crazycrow.com/strap-leather
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

great job, Daerir! It's good to see it finished!

Also, E.MacKermak, That turned out absolutely GORGEOUS! I especially love the sheath and suspension set-up. So, so cool. The tooling on the new by-knife sheath in particular is really beautiful.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

E.MacKermak wrote:Scabbard had to back to the drawing board since I didn't quite get the dimensions right. Got a chance to do some different tooling on the utility knife sheath.
Did you add a spacer in between the leather pieces? or is it just two pieces stitched together?
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Daerir wrote:
Did you add a spacer in between the leather pieces? or is it just two pieces stitched together?
Single piece folded at the back and sewn along the edge side. This is one of the common styles for seax scabbards in period and allows the blade to be carried edge up, not resting on the blade. The sewing continues along the broken-back portion as well. I wet formed the leather and forgot to put anything in as a spacer and then sewed it too close to the edge which didn't leave enough room for the blade to slide in easily. The second time, I shaped it around the supplied sheath to allow for the blade thickness and used the sheath to determine how wide it needed to be. Since I had the chance to remake it, I redesigned the tooling pattern into something I liked better than the original celtic-style knotwork pattern.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I think a 6" x 24" piece of leather should be plenty then. The blade itself is only 2.25" wide at the base. I think i can get away with cutting the 6" down a pinch and folding over. Then using the left over pieces, to make a belt attachment somehow.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I think I used about 9x20, but that allowed me to cut down the tabbed area where the suspension is and leave about 7 inches over the blade. Still not sure what I am going to do with the area between the suspension rings, but I am thinking either some stamping or pyrography in the area. If I burn something it will need to be a nice Elven word or phrase.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Well I decided that I wanted a greyed seax so I decided to add a vinegar patina. I couldn't find a container to fit the blade in so I can't up with a brilliant idea. Douse an old towel with white vinegar and wrap around the blade! I figured I'd let out sit for an hour and take it off. I checked it after about fifteen minutes abd it was done! The tiny tentacle things in the towel left a sweet design on the blade.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Finished sheath several long hours work. It's rugged but effective

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

There you go buddy! You did a great job! I am sure it will give you many years of fine service. Take it out from time to time and keep the blade oiled you may even want to get some down in the inside of the sheath. one thing about the CS steel once it has had its annodised finnish removed, it picks up rust from moisture fairly quick. Your greying prosess may keep this from happening or slow it down at least, but I thought it would be good to mention it as it caught me by surprise once or twice after a wet weekend event. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: