Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

Post by Ringulf »

Well folks it has been a while since I have posted any pictures.
It truly has been that busy.
I got through my larp stuff which I will post in the proper area, but I thought I would share with you some of the progress I have made on the seax project.

I think you may remember the long seax that I used to kill the rattler and was given a name by my friends and I.

"Ormbani" was made into a broken back seax from its original sheeps foot seax design and I was waiting to get a handle on it.

So here it is with handle, and I used the same techniques to construct a handle for our Captain of the Rangers who's persona's last name is Rhienhardt. His device bears a Stag. Of course a stag is hard to put on a handle as the big spindly antlers are what makes it who he is, so I made that the focus instead.

I included both sides so you could see the inscription on Ormbani. They will all get scabbards and I have quite a few more in the works as thankyou presents for some of the marshals and staff of the Ranger Moot. (just two weeks away!!)
I have some other fun stuff to show you including a spear, shield, bow and quiver.

If I ever get the hood to come out properly that may be on the list too.

Last edited by Ringulf on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

Post by Ernildir »

Beautifully done! I love the antler hilt.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

VERY nice! I can't wait to see the pictures of the other items you mentioned as well!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

As usual, just awesome!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I am stealing the idea of reshaping the blade to a broken back. I really like the look of that one.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gondian »

WOW!! Those are awesome!!!!!
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Love the carved handle on the broke back, Absolutely Stunning !!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

they look great I just picked up another one of each size.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Were did you get the 12" it seems like they are getting harder to get now and are up to 11.00. Most are back up to being in the 20.00 range.
There were no more 12" on the special projects site so I was hunting for a descent price for a dozon or so.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rhys ap Ieuan

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

Absurdly awesome, as it usual for you. How did you attach the handles?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well with that question Friend Rhys, I suppose the cat is out of the bag!
Both of these handles are made from a material that is starting to be touted as the new miracle material for knife scales and handles! (Hee hee) I really never thought of using the stuff for this purpose but when I saw this:

http://www.knifescales.com/

I realised that since I had already been working with Polymer Clay doing many forms of sculpture and carving (it is great for both the additive and the diminutive techniques) I really should try it.

The handles are formed and sculpted right on to the tangs and since the Cold Steel seax has that little "bird's beak" at the end, the handle needs no other fastening. The material even permiates the holes in the tang acting like integral "pins".

The whole piece is then put in the oven and baked (the tricky part) and after the right timing as per thickness of the material, it sets very hard but not brittle. The tines on the antler are for the most part as strong as the real thing.

Color is somewhat tricky because you can "Mix" PC with all its different colors like an artists palette but the longer you bake it the darker it gets. a controled baking, for light colors, may require heat shields of tin foil on thinner peices while the thicker peices still cure.

At the end of the day I realize that this stuff is fantastic to work with and makes a great looking piece. It is not period craftsmanship but can be made to look like it at a fraction of the cost. It can teach many of the period carving and sculpting techniques or serve as a prototype for a more expensive peice as well as being very green as walrus ivory and antler and samboc stag is getting kinda pricey and scarce!

Knowing how to do it the real way is my goal and I can do alot of that now though I am ever learning, but when you don't have the funds or the materials or the time you do what you can, besides...it is fun! :mrgreen:
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

i ordered mine from special projects a few weeks ago they still had both at the time.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Outstanding work, and resourceful too! :) looking forward to the quiver pics!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Rhys ap Ieuan

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

How 'bout that! My wife works with the stuff a bit, making things to sell at SCA events & such. Your results are amazing - they really look natural in the photos!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I recently picked up one of the 18"s and have been thinking about how I want to do the hilt. Would it be reasonable/effective to simply (after removing the plastic hilt) make a thick wrapping of layers of leather? Was it ever done like that back in the day?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.