MY FAVORITE SWORDS

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

MY FAVORITE SWORDS

Post by RikJohnson »

I tend to collect swords, mainly because I have a number of talents. I can find Holy-Stones on any beach or river. I can figure out a way to make almost anything cheaper than I cna buy it. And i have a habit of finding really good swords for a really low price. It's a curse that covers every wall in my house.

This is my favorite sword.
I finally after years of searching found that the blade was made by Oscar kablomovitch after the Knight's Templair design. But really, I am Pagan and carrying a xian sword? So, I lengthened and strengthened the tang, than carved an oak handle to fit the tang which I covered with ray-skin. I cut down the guard and reshaped it to the current Moon-design and made a new pommel from a mill-ball and a couple bolts that screw to the tang. Frankly, I could NOT drill through the mill-ball so had to settle for a screw-on pommel.

A couple years ago, I had a discussion with Michael pare’ his director and writer about a movie they were doing. Mr Pare’ asked about a comfortable way to wear a sword for a future movie and frankly, there isn’t one. On your back keeps it out of the way but impossible to draw. On your hip is easy to draw but bangs into things… A baldric is the best compromise but I find that a shortsword is a decent compromise.
I can strap my main sword to my back for travel and hang it from hip before a battle. But if surprised, a shortsword is a good weapon for an archer.
This is a Hanwei Celtic short-sword that I reshaped and modified. I turned the leaf blade into a straight stabbing shape, removed the upper arms, lightened the pommel legs, changed the grip and covered with rayskin.
THEN I had to change the sheath to fit the new shape.

The LOR Movies show so many Rangers and even Gandolf carrying a longsword that I bought this from Cold Steel with matching dagger. To date, the only modification I did was to add a hanger ring to the scabbard. I may do more later but…..
I am looking forward to taking additional Longsword classes at teh Combat Con in June. That Dutch instructor terrifies me but I learn a hell of a lot from him.. mainly how to stand my ground when this huge ox with 38" of streel is marching towards me without befouling myself.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: MY FAVORITE SWORDS

Post by Taurinor »

RikJohnson wrote:A couple years ago, I had a discussion with Michael pare’ his director and writer about a movie they were doing. Mr Pare’ asked about a comfortable way to wear a sword for a future movie and frankly, there isn’t one. On your back keeps it out of the way but impossible to draw. On your hip is easy to draw but bangs into things...
I find it fairly comfortable to wear a sword on your hip, if the angle is right. I used to wear a single- handed sword with a front that held the scabbard at a 45 degree angle from vertical, at least, and it would bump into things. I recently switched to an sword belt that holds my falchion much closer to vertically, and I prefer that. I imagine it's a trickier balance with a longsword, since you'd need to find an angle wear it isn't sticking out straight behind you or dragging on the ground. I don't have much experience with longswords, though, since I'm closer to hobbit-sized than I care to admit.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I strap it tight to my hip bone and regardless of short or long, it works fine for me. If the blade is shorter than 26", I can draw it over my shoulder easily. For longer blades over the shoulder I keep the strap loose, grab the grip and simply angle it so that the whole rig slides out and over my left arm. Flip it and the scabbard flies off. Won't work with a shield or buckler.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Either way is good for me as well, I have always usually used a claymore, or bastard sword around 45". If it's on the hip, and aligned the right way then it's great. Though if I pack a sword on my back I always modify my back scabbard so that side of the edge facing my left shoulder has an opening in it, and I make it as long as needed; so this makes pulling the sword out fairly easy.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Eothain wrote:Though if I pack a sword on my back I always modify my back scabbard so that side of the edge facing my left shoulder has an opening in it, and I make it as long as needed; so this makes pulling the sword out fairly easy.
That does seem like it would make it a lot easier to draw. Does the slit make the sword any less secure in the sheath?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

[/quote]That does seem like it would make it a lot easier to draw. Does the slit make the sword any less secure in the sheath?[/quote]

It's totally secure as long as the slit is on the upside and you have a nice little belted or snap strap securing the guard to the scabbard.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.