$60 BLONGBOW

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

$60 BLONGBOW

Post by RikJohnson »

Just an affordable FYI.

http://www.gibow.com/shop/index.php?mai ... 4n2h9v46c2

The above link leads to GIBow.com where they are now providing English(style) Longbows (Hickory) in various weights in addition to their flat bows.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: $60 BLONGBOW

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice find, great prices !
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I ordered from them over a month ago. I can't get them to respond to e-mail or phone message. Did you have any trouble with therm when you ordered from them?
You can't take the sky from me.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

wulfgar wrote:I ordered from them over a month ago. I can't get them to respond to e-mail or phone message. Did you have any trouble with therm when you ordered from them?
I've purchased a number of bows from Justin over the years and even had him make me a carriage bow a couple months ago and never had any problems. Especially in communications.
And I'm buying the base-line bows, not the high-price ones.

He is redoing the website so maybe things are getting lost in cyberspace?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I've even called and left messages without any response. I ordered an off the shelf U-finish longbow and some accessories on Feb. 18th. I am going to try to call again tomorrow.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Just an odd question that some of you might now what has to be done to a U finish bow. I think I might order one up.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Pretty much just sanding and sealing.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

You can use the bow out-of-the-box without any concerns.
They are rough-sanded and plain.

I stained mine, final-sanded mine, restained and sealed, then wrapped the handle.
THEN started to make all the acessories like tip-protectors, etc.
I do not know how to put antler tips on the bow so I conpromised by adding tip-supports to the back.

Here is the link to my archery page:
http://rick-johnson.webs.com/archery.htm

here is the link to my first u-finish bow:
http://rick-johnson.webs.com/longbow.htm

I havn't done any pages on my other bows yet.

Shea shoots her bow without any work at all. But I prefer to personalize mine.

Again, the ONLY time I had any bad communication with Justin was when I contracted for a carriage-bow a few months back.
I told him what I wanted and sent a few pics and he immediatly wrote back with a price and a comment that he'd never made one.
No word for about a month but I assumed that was because he had to wait until the brass sleeve arrived. Then he sent the bow and mentioned that he had fun making it.
So your lack of response is totally unlike my experiences withthe man.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Well when work starts up again and my arrow stock is up to a good 50 arrows then I'll buy one.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Got my bow in the mail today. It only took about 10 - 15 minutes of sanding to get it finished. I am going to let it sit for awhile before applying a finish though. I've shot a few arrows and did horribly. It's been about 8 years since I last shot a bow. I am having some issues with the fletchings cutting my left hand.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

wulfgar wrote:I am having some issues with the fletchings cutting my left hand.
That has happened to me. I usually wear a glove when I shoot off my hand to keep it from happening.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The last time I shot my bow, I did so without gloves and embedded a part of the fletching in my left pointer. It hurt going in and hurt worse coming out. So, yeah, gloves are on my list of things to add to my kit.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

wulfgar wrote: I am having some issues with the fletchings cutting my left hand.
i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.
One of the guys on the SCA Archery e-list suggested that it was because the feathers were too rough and he suggested that I sand the for-part of the fealther spine down and put some glue over it to give a sort of a slide.

I did that then wrapped thread over the front and back of the feathers, covered it with clear nail-polish and solved the problem.

Of course, I also bought an archers-glove for my left hand from Ravenswood http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/index. ... uct&id=398 and after resewing the finger hole to fit, that also helped.

two solutions to the problem, either of which work.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

wulfgar wrote:I ordered from them over a month ago. I can't get them to respond to e-mail or phone message. Did you have any trouble with therm when you ordered from them?
I'm having the same issue.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

RikJohnson wrote:
wulfgar wrote: I am having some issues with the fletchings cutting my left hand.
i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.
One of the guys on the SCA Archery e-list suggested that it was because the feathers were too rough and he suggested that I sand the for-part of the fealther spine down and put some glue over it to give a sort of a slide.

I did that then wrapped thread over the front and back of the feathers, covered it with clear nail-polish and solved the problem.

Of course, I also bought an archers-glove for my left hand from Ravenswood http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/index. ... uct&id=398 and after resewing the finger hole to fit, that also helped.

two solutions to the problem, either of which work.
I like that!